Preview Changes v North Melbourne - Round 7, 2021 - OUT Jones, IN B Brown

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
wasn't petty injured? chandler played so guessing it's Baker if Jones is rested and doesn't travel to tassie

Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
It's not a great look dropping Jones after 300. Makes it really seem like we just wanted to get him there even though the talk from Goody was that it wasn't the case and he was playing his role. Hopefully he gets back in.

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
It's not a great look dropping Jones after 300. Makes it really seem like we just wanted to get him there even though the talk from Goody was that it wasn't the case and he was playing his role. Hopefully he gets back in.
Not a good look but I'm happy with how pragmatic it is. Everyone including Jones knows the writing was on the wall.

Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
Maybe Jones was due for a rest? He is our oldest player.
I wonder if it would have been a better look to say "rested" rather than "omitted". Rested makes it sound like we're taking the game less seriously by not playing our strongest side. Omitted makes it seem harsh on Jones.

In any case it's odd to rest him against North. You would think that would be a good opportunity for him to find a bit of the ball. I think it might be a strategic decision to try out a new rotation method. Jones spending so much time on the bench meant there was less time for others to rotate through.

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
I wonder if it would have been a better look to say "rested" rather than "omitted". Rested makes it sound like we're taking the game less seriously by not playing our strongest side. Omitted makes it seem harsh on Jones.

In any case it's odd to rest him against North. You would think that would be a good opportunity for him to find a bit of the ball. I think it might be a strategic decision to try out a new rotation method. Jones spending so much time on the bench meant there was less time for others to rotate through.
Mate I don't care how we dress it up, Jones is done. If we are serious and ruthless, these decisions need to be made.

He is a legend of our club and deserved 300, but if we want to win this thing he needs to stand aside and let us play a best 22.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who gives a s**t? Its the truth. I'm glad we were able to carry him to 300 without it costing us but he hasn't done anything of note that a lot of our VFL listed players couldn't do or surpass.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
It wasn’t just the 6 games of this season. Jones was carried from 250 to 300 truth be told. Congrats to the bloke but enough’s enough.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Fine with Jones out for all the reasons mentioned. Would have made more sense to drop Melk for Brown given he is essentially a tall forward these days in regards to defensive pressure, mobility, usefulness when the ball hits the deck etc. He needs to find the fountain of youth or be dropped next before it starts to be an issue having him clogging a spot on his best mate's team.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I reckon Melksham survives as he’s seen as improving the forward connection, one of our weaker areas, so is getting a reprieve on the defensive aspects. For now at least.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cromulent
Mate I don't care how we dress it up, Jones is done. If we are serious and ruthless, these decisions need to be made.

He is a legend of our club and deserved 300, but if we want to win this thing he needs to stand aside and let us play a best 22.

He is best 22!

Who is he keeping out of the side?

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cromulent

He is best 22!

Who is he keeping out of the side?

A younger player who can do equally as good a job but who has scope for improvement and development. Someone quicker, too. I’d play Baker ahead of Jones for one.

Back