Guessing the 15 metre rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So I watched the last 2 minutes of the Sydney Geelong game and something that irks me, is the umpires are literally GUESSING whether a ball is going to travel 15 metres. They shouldn't be doing this.

This kick was 17.5-18M at minimum.

Should have been a mark to Cameron.

1619872908318.png

Apr 11, 2009
MEL --> ADL
AFL Club
Sydney
So I watched the last 2 minutes of the Sydney Geelong game and something that irks me, is the umpires are literally GUESSING whether a ball is going to travel 15 metres. They shouldn't be doing this.

View attachment 1116468

Umps should be able to do this in their head from a 3rd perspective. They need to be robot.

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
If they ain’t guessing, how else are they doing it?

you want them to have a trundle wheel each?
They need to wait for the ball to be marked before deciding if it’s 15 or not. Calling “not 15 play on” as soon as it leaves the boot is pure guess work and leads to errors like tonight

I'd much rather them not pay the borderline 15m kicks than the blatantly obvious sub 10m kicks.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
They need to strike a balance.

Calling it as early as possible is fair to the players so they all know it will be a play on situation. But yes, if you call it too early then you don't know how far it will travel before being marked.

It's not often a problem in the game. Got it wrong last night. Stiff s**t, move on.

losty199

Rookie
Apr 22, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I like the earley call of touched and not 15 otherwise you get that weird stop in play where everyone freezes and waits for whistle or umpires to call play on. Also umpires called touched off boot last night not 15m rule it was commentators who called that.

Last edited:

View attachment 1116468

goal post width is 6.4m so it's about 2 but we will call it 13m to be generous, side b is 7m at best but prob less

that means the other side is 14.76m correct call play on

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
9.5/10 times it is called before the ball is touched by another player the umps can see where the player is standing and the basic trajectory of the ball. It is never an issue.

In the case of last night it didn't matter either because it was called touched.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9.5/10 times it is called before the ball is touched by another player the umps can see where the player is standing and the basic trajectory of the ball. It is never an issue.

In the case of last night it didn't matter either because it was called touched.

Do you normally yell not 15 play on when the ball is touched?

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
lol it was called touched.
No it wasn't. Have gone back and watched it a few times.

It is hard to hear exactly what the ump says, but it is definitely two words repeated twice, not the same word repeated 4 times. It sounds a whole more like "not 15 not 15" than "touched touched touched touched".

Then before the camera angle pans past the ump the ball had cleared the contest and was in the goal square. Ball kicked with 12 seconds to go, ump pans out with 10 seconds. The ump has not made a call, if it was touched they call it almost instantly.

Finally when the ump comes up to Cameron to signal the throw in he doesn't indicate it was touched by tapping one hand against the other. They always do that.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
goal post width is 6.4m so it's about 2 but we will call it 13m to be generous, side b is 7m at best but prob less

that means the other side is 14.76m correct call play on
Not quite right. If side a is 10m which is 9m for the goal square length + 2 m extra from kick -1m where cameron marked. Side b is 2x6.4m+ 3m. Work out side C. Its more than 15m mate.

Not quite right. If side a is 10m which is 9m for the goal square length + 2 m extra from kick -1m where cameron marked. Side b is 2x6.4m+ 3m. Work out side C. Its more than 15m mate.

Why are you randomly adding 3m when he clearly marks it before the point post and the kick is well inside the point post?

If you bothered to do the maths in the op your argument might be stronger. Pythagoras isn't that difficult.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The kick is in line with the point post on right side.
The mark is taken midway the opposite point post and left goalpost

That is clearly 2 x 6.4m + 3m from where Cameron marked it.

There arent many people arguimg about it not be ing 15. Why are you? The facts are there.

Remember you originally stated sidea was only 7m. Its 10m. The goal squareis 9m long.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
He wouldn't have kicked the goal without running around and the siren would of blown before taking the shot. This decision did not cost Geelong the game.
He is a left footer. Would of been fine. Plus there was another 15 seconds on the clock anyway.

Also doesnt explain the non holding the vall decision 20 m out from goal directly in front. The ump was in the motion of calling it but got stage fright when the bell went.

The kick is in line with the point post on right side.
The mark is taken midway the opposite point post and left goalpost

That is clearly 2 x 6.4m + 3m from where Cameron marked it.

There arent many people arguimg about it not be ing 15. Why are you? The facts are there.

Remember you originally stated sidea was only 7m. Its 10m. The goal squareis 9m long.

Because i went off your picture in the op, maybe write a better post next time.

He didnt mark it right on the goal line that is why it isnt 10m.

Back