Oppo Camp AFL Round 7 - Other Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you sack him if they'd won the flag in 18'?
Pretty stupid imo. You already know he can coach, not his fault the list management got f’ed.
How many coaches get 9 years and then get a whack at a second full blown rebuild?

Also while Bucks doesn’t have control of list management he certainly has control of player development. The workhorses at the Pies are the same players that were there really when he took over from Malthouse. Pendlebury and Sidebottom. I would argue he has only developed two A graders in his time, and they were both first round picks. Yes, you need role players, but the best coaches - Clarkson, Hardwick, Beveridge - turn those second and third rounders into top liners too. Instead there’s spuds like Josh Thomas and dumb calls like Chris Maybe.

Moreover how does he staying fix anything? I really think it just delays the problem. Unless they give him 5 years he will be in the same discussion in 18 months time anyway - they don’t have the draft capital to fix the myriad issues for 2022, and the problems are going to get worse.

I don’t think they have bottomed out.

Also the record for coaches games at a single club without a flag is 228. Buckley is at 209. The reality is if he stays he’s breaking that record. That’s Daniher 2007 areas, for the record. Daniher could coach too, but it was time. It’s the same with Bucks.

Lol pendles and sidebottom aren't work horses.
Adams, Sier etc are workhorses.

Darcy Moore is a gun, Daicos looks a star, Grundy until lately was a gun.

Collingwood don't need a full blown rebuild, only dumb clubs like us and Carlton do full blown rebuilds.

None of that you said answered my question, would you sack him if he was a premiership coach 3 years ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol pendles and sidebottom aren't work horses.
Adams, Sier etc are workhorses.

Darcy Moore is a gun, Daicos looks a star, Grundy until lately was a gun.

Collingwood don't need a full blown rebuild, only dumb clubs like us and Carlton do full blown rebuilds.

None of that you said answered my question, would you sack him if he was a premiership coach 3 years ago?

Collingwood need a rebuild.

They are a mess

It’s fabulous.

Yeah but other clubs don't take 15 years like us, they could easily contend again in 2-4 years they always do.
You reckon?
Oldest list in the comp.
Zero picks this year apart from Daicos.
Probably have to go into points debt in 2022 to get Daicos.

Within 3-5 years you would expect all of Pendlebury, Mayne, Greenwood, Sidebottom, Howe, Roughead and Cox to be done, with Thomas, Elliott, Mihocek and Madgen close to or done.
Thats a lot of firepower to replace with not a lot of assets.

I think they’ve botched this so seriously they could be in a hole for 7-8 years. It’ll take them 2 drafts just to get back to normal capital unless they give players up.

You reckon?
Oldest list in the comp.
They have the 7th youngest list in the comp actually, if you take out Mayne and Greenwood and replace them with 2 18 year old draftees they have the youngest list in the competition.

How many of the blokes you named are actually important?

Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Roughead and Mihocek. That's it.

If you ignore the media rubbish which apparently people can't Bucks has proven he can rebuild the side and take them to a GF. If not for Sheed he has similar if not better coaching record than Luke Beveridge, should we sack him aswell or are we just going to overreact to a 6 game sample size

They have the 7th youngest list in the comp actually, if you take out Mayne and Greenwood and replace them with 2 18 year old draftees they have the youngest list in the competition.

If you ignore the media rubbish which apparently people can't Bucks has proven he can rebuild the side and take them to a GF. If not for Sheed he has similar if not better coaching record than Luke Beveridge, should we sack him aswell or are we just going to overreact to a 6 game sample size
Not the point i know but Bevo is hugely overrated though, I’ve been saying it since 2017.

Daniher made finals in 06 and was gone by Rd13. There’s actually a lot of parallels with the situation ND was in and where Buckley is now.

Was that the right call? Questionable from an external view but I remember how violently everyone was baying for blood there.

You reckon?
Oldest list in the comp.
Zero picks this year apart from Daicos.
Probably have to go into points debt in 2022 to get Daicos.

Within 3-5 years you would expect all of Pendlebury, Mayne, Greenwood, Sidebottom, Howe, Roughead and Cox to be done, with Thomas, Elliott, Mihocek and Madgen close to or done.
Thats a lot of firepower to replace with not a lot of assets.

I think they’ve botched this so seriously they could be in a hole for 7-8 years. It’ll take them 2 drafts just to get back to normal capital unless they give players up.
Their old players are s**t apart from Pendles and Sidebottom. List cloggers the lot of them. Next generation will be done by the time they contend again so they're pointless (Howe, Adams etc). Moore, Quaynor, Daicos, Grundy should carry them for a while, maybe De Goey but I think they should trade him tbh, he's s**t.

They're playing the youth, but the youth really don't look like anything special. They weren't top picks, they were all late first and seconds and thirds. I do like the look of Macrae and it's too early in the piece, but you want to see glimpses that they can make it, haven't seen anything yet.

Nick Daicos presents an extraordinary conundrum. He's a freak, posting Matt Rowell level performances in the NAB league and would easily be one of Collingwood's best midfielders if he was on their list right now. They don't have enough points to match a bid for him though, they're about 900 short. Meaning they'll need to trade a player or players out or go into deficit for next draft which is terrible. Even if they get the points, which they should, they'll have no good picks after Daicos. Leaving them with essentially one player for the draft.

If they just get Daicos they're nearly shoeins for the spoon in 2022 IMO, hopefully then they get no.1 pick and another 1 or two at the pointy end. They need quality picks now though, that's why I can see them trading the likes of De Goey, Grundy, Howe. Whoever has value. Can easily see collingwood in a 6 year slump before they're contending again, good players are too old and no young talent.

Daniher made finals in 06 and was gone by Rd13. There’s actually a lot of parallels with the situation ND was in and where Buckley is now.

Was that the right call? Questionable from an external view but I remember how violently everyone was baying for blood there.
Right and we sacked him and then basically made every single ******* horrible decision from that day on to nearly destroy the club.

First thing was installing back to back coaches who had no clue how to build a culture of hard work and happiness.

Buckley's shown he can do that, would be making our mistake over if they over react

Remove this Banner Ad

Back