Autopsy Round 7, 2021 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said glad your not a selector, when has it ever worked for us, using a resting ruckman as a forward.

charlie doesn’t need a rest he needs some decent supply.
He looked cooked he cant get front position to save his life & he's useless as a chop out ruck, it's a long year & Lycett will need relief at some point.
I'm glad you are not a selector as well you sound like a fanboy.

Interestingly you were critical of Drew’s hacks kicks but not ollies hack kicks or clangers.

cause you saw 11 clangers on the stat sheet and it’s a case of it leading to you forming a belief. Ollies disposal was fine tonight. He’s improved out of sight in that area.

Drew’s disposal wasn’t even bad, I just noted that we dominated clearances early but most of them where a lot of drew and spp floaty high hacks that brought defenders into it.

how has it taken a billion years to work out that Dixon standing flat footed and wrestling an opponent just allows 5 guys to hold him illegally and not get called for it so Dixon can spill the mark isn’t a good strategy

we’re like the only team where our key forward doesn’t lead into space. I mean we tried it for a couple of games and it worked well it no one handed marks so whatevs and back to normal transmission.
We don’t use Dixon to his best that’s for sure... I think if he could roam a bit more it would suit him better, outwork his opponent and such, but instead we kinda use him as a statue for the players to try and jump into? It works well sometimes but he never gets involved in games and I think it hurts his confidence. He was miserable tonight honestly... I think he’d be filthy at himself for that performance.

He looked cooked he cant get front position to save his life & he's useless as a chop out ruck, it's a long year & Lycett will need relief at some point.
I'm glad you are not a selector as well you sound like a fanboy.
No just someone who knows that resting ruckman as forwards don’t work.

when lycetts cooked bring in Hayes as replacement

Robinson took a dive. I agree Hartlett should’ve known he would do it and not bother to engage him at all, but if that force was enough to warrant a free kick then add 50 frees to that game. If the umpires had any form of professionalism they would pick up on the fact that Robinson is a serial diver, but of course they don’t.

Of course my instinct was that Robinson took a dive, but hartlett shouldn't have been anywhere near him and should definitely not been doing his whole faux tough guy act.

cause you saw 11 clangers on the stat sheet and it’s a case of it leading to you forming a belief. Ollies disposal was fine tonight. He’s improved out of sight in that area.

Drew’s disposal wasn’t even bad, I just noted that we dominated clearances early but most of them where a lot of drew and spp floaty high hacks that brought defenders into it.
It’s why our midfield is so poor, 3 of our mids are just hack kicks forward.

Very disappointing ..
Didn't listen to foxtel commentary and haven't read anyone's comments but IMO ..
- we were out muscled and out bustled all over the ground (pre-match I was worried about our relative lack of grunt across the ground)
- defence looked uncomfortable in first half against height & leap of Hipwood, McStay & Daniher - tactically Bris were clever drawing Aliir up the ground
- Hartlett will be rightly chastised for stupidly pushing over flopper Robinson - very costly
- our tall forwards were horrible when it mattered - Dixon thrashed by Andrews (1/10), Marshall uncompetitive & fumbly (1/10), Georgiades ineffective (3/10),
- missed too many gettable set shots to get any momentum for a comeback
- Burton injured again? always a risk chasing Cameron

On the bright side
- didn't throw in the towel - percentage was dented, but not fatally
- Aliir super impressive
- Wines excellent
- Motlop pretty good. Amon, Jonas ok. SPP & Drew battled hard although disposal a bit untidy.
- Bergman & Frederick showed enough AFL qualities to be regulars in the 22
- we didn't shoot all our bullets - in a final v Bris, if we apply the sort of desperation we showed against Richmond, and best 22 available, we'll be better.

Last edited:
Couldnt have done more and giving him this game to develop over rocky will do him the world of good. Mentioned in the gameday thread its a shame he is the only upcoming genuine mid we have.

Zac Butters right now

tumblr_inline_pjclimELWC1rp3pkh_400.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do port supporters hate their team so much omgosh. If we kicked 12.7 the game would look completely different mind, but the main thing would be percentage and belief in the system holding up a little better.

I get that we all think the system is broken here, but the players need to believe in it and each other and losses like this really hurt.

I posted that we could end Brisbane’s premiership chances and I thought we would. I don’t think they’ve quite ended ours but it doesn’t feel good. Had the chance to cement ourselves a bit more strongly in the top 4 and fluffed it, the team will either respond really well to this or we’ll just have to be counting the days until we get kicked out of finals before the “big dance”.
Because I don't want to hear friggin excuses. I want to see a coaching group that adapts our game style to deal with these repeating themes. We talk ourselves up so much and they keep brushing off these losses like they were just blips, but they are not. They are hugely concerning demonstrations that our game plan and style has fundamental flaws against the best sides and they must adapt. And personally I believe a 40 point loss is going to sink into Hinkleys thick head more than a 10 point loss would. Because make no mistake this game was lost on a strategic level.

A super pathetic display.

We started brightly enough, albeit with some signs of the sloppy forward 50 entries that would become the hallmark of the evening. Obviously the turning point was the Hartlett reversal. They were always going to make us pay and score within a minute of that happening. They were always going to then take control of the game. They were always going to score in that last 10 seconds. Everything went to script and kept going to script for the rest of the night.

So many really poor players on the night.

Hartlett was terrible from start to finish. Lycett was smashed in the ruck. Marshall's ball handling in that first quarter was a huge factor in the game getting away from us early. Mayes added nothing. Woodcock tries hard but there is mounting evidence that he's not quite at the level. DBJ was poor. Frederick found the going much harder this week than last.

On the plus side I thought Wines was a one man midfield beast all night. Drew was decent in support but very fumbly. Aliir a monster down back. Robbie played a good game. Everyone else was average to poor.

I was personally disappointed watching the game on FoxFooty during the 2nd quarter when the commentators asked Lynch about what he heard in our QT huddle, and according to him, Nathan Bassett was instructing our forward entries to be much lower and faster to bring the ball to the ground. But right after claiming that we continued to enter sloppy high and loopy kicks into the f50 ripe for Harris Andrews to pick apart instead of actually bringing it to the ground like we were asked. So either Lynch was lying and simply cited his own analysis, or our players genuinely didn't listen to our coaches. Either way, it was disappointing.

Give Wines and Allir their AA jackets already, give Drew a pat on the back, and let everyone else walk in shame.
I was defensive of Hammer after the first few games, but my patience has run out with him, retirement is lingering.

Obviously the turning point was the Hartlett reversal. They were always going to make us pay and score within a minute of that happening. They were always going to then take control of the game. They were always going to score in that last 10 seconds. Everything went to script and kept going to script for the rest of the night.
It's funny isn't it, we really lose in incredibly embarrassing fashion.

This week it was the Cameron show and playing several players back into form. The finishing goals, etc. Against WC it was mark of the year, goal of the year, Harlem globetrotter level s**t.

We just don't lose with honour, we embarrass ourselves.

Very disappointing night. Didn’t expect us to win but the way we lost is unacceptable.

I think Bergman is going to be a very good player for us. Did gift them a goal but overall pretty solid. He will only get better

Now if we start dropping games we should be winning (a pre-2020 trait) and/or get thumped a third time I will be concerned.

If we get thumped a third time? It's round 7 ffs. The fact that we've been thumped twice already is just a massive flashing red light. And let's face it, take out the games against non contenders North, St Kilda, Carlton and Essendon and it's actually 2 thumpings from 3 legitimate opponents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back