Preview Rnd 7 - Carlton vs Essendon* Sunday 2 May 3:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1104

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally. I think that the plan would always have been to rest a player like Murphy after 6 games or so, I don't believe he was dropped, he wasn't in the worst couple of players last week.

Williams has had injury concerns for a while now, I see no reason to doubt that he's out due to injury.

Eddie will be scheduled for a rest soon too, this will be his 5th game? Unfortunately, our injuries would have played a bit of havoc with plans on how to manage the older players this year, I'm sure.
Williams hurt his legs in one of the early games when a pack fell across them in the middle. we brought him back to soon.

When it was still possible to make finals last year we stunk it up I don't expect same old players attitude to change if we go 2-6
Well we better hope we bloody win then!

Nah, look, hopefully they pick up their game after being dropped. Nothing you or I can control but it's good to see the MC actually make some required changes after senior players have been given ample opportunity. They can't complain now - it's put up or shut up time.

In any other Organisation, if you dont perform for 6 weeks you are out the door and if you are a high achiever you get promoted. This is a football club and our main role is to win games for all the loyal members.

We have been below average for a very long time, yes i know we have been culled by injuries but i want to see the club do something, try something different and never die wondering.

Many of our current seniors wont be around when and if we get to challenge in the near future. Now is the time to Establish which players will form the nucleus of a progressive team on the up and build around them.

I applaud these changes and look forward to more experiments where they reward performance, determination and the willingness to win. If senior players get dropped they have the same opportunity to rip a new one and turn it around in the reserves and claim their rightful position. If they sook and cant meet this criteria i have no more sympathy for them. where is their sympathy for our 80,000 member's with what some of them have been dishing up lately. No more excuses.

I can’t agree more, where is their sympathy for us! I really feel this will get worse before it improves. Have a strong feeling the footy department will be tweaked in the off season and we will have a big 2022.

General soreness reporting for duty

No doubt in my mind that Murphy and Williams were dropped.

Owies in for Murphy probably means that Gibbons will wander further up the ground. Owies will tackle and apply pressure. I hope he isn't timid at the higher level.

Parks in the defence makes me happy. More ferocity.

Dow must get time around the stoppages.

SPS being the sacrificial lamb this week as we had run out of those who could have the 'omitted' beside their name, except for Kennedy who didn't even play. I'd say he isn't doing what is asked of him and his intensity levels have been low. Should be the sub though as he can play back, midfield or forward if necessary.

I'm not worried about the midfield outs. Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, Dow, Stocker, Cuningham and Gibbons can handle things. Stocker isn't slow either so I'm not too worried about the speed in there. I think we will compete and I think we have sent a message this time, so expect the likes of Newnes to fight for his spot.

No argument about Murphy but I'd be stunned if Williams was dropped. Far too much invested in this guy to drop him and not play him in the twos to regain whatever form you think he's lost.

It does if you don't want to embarrass your senior players or highly paid recruits.

Mind you, if we lose without them, I wouldn't mind betting we get an 'I told you so' from the coach. Let's just hope that Dow and Owies in particular, go okay.

And just how do you expect the coach would express this "I told you so"?

C'mon I think I would expect our coach to be a little above the pettiness and snarkiness we see on this board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. Owies has one of his few quiet games (still contributed several 1%ers) and gets promoted. I thought Honey might have got the nod. Make the most of this, kid.

SPS finally shows glimmers and gets dropped.

Dow was good last week, hopefully he plays the same role tonight.

Beating the Bombers will be nothing to get exited about...no back peddling required!
How about a 10 goal win.
3 or 4 wins in a row.
Beating a top 4 team with spirit
Leading from start to finish in some games and winning comfortably.
Getting into the 8 and staying in there.
Winning a final.

A scrappy win here and there against lowly teams doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid.
well put!

These sort of players have got nothing to learn from playing in the VFL. Murphy is not getting better playing at that level. He is what he is at this point of his career.

They aren't holding Williams back for his polish against the Dogs or Dees. He has absolutely butchered the ball this year. We have a better draw in the second half of the year so if we can win this, we can still recover from 3-5. Resting players and risking 2-6 doesn't make sense to me either.

We will see..

Senior players don't go back to learn, they go back to play themselves into form and Murphy could get better if he was made to play at that level. You don't learn confidence, touch and skill, you regain them by playing at a level that allows that.

At least that's what i expect the ressies are for.

This all might be as simple as getting a few good players back.
Jsos
Fish
TDK
for the rest of it...now is the time to be trying out others and see if they'll fit..or where they fit best. LOB should be in soon and given a solid block.

Last edited:
Today's the day we bounce back

*Owies 3 goals

*Dow 20+

*Cripps 2 goals from sets shots between 20-40m

*Stocker rises to the occasion

*McGovern 10 marks

*Parks rising star nom

That should be good enough, what a day it's gonna be.

Go Blues
No idea what to expect from Owies. Look forward to seeing him and more so Parks and Stocker again.
Don't let us down Blues.

Last edited:
An MCG clash against Essendon is not a game you would rest a required player in.

If Williams has an injury, why report it as general soreness?

Murph was definitely one of the worse as far as leaving his opponent unattended.

I'm with ya, reckon they've been dropped.

Although there are players ahead of Williams that I believe deserved to get the axe there's no doubt he's been ordinary.

At the game last week I noticed off the ball he was panting early stages. I reckon his fitness is still not where it needs to be and I reckon that has contributed to a lot of his mistakes. He cost us 2 goals directly from lack of awareness and carelessness.

I like that Teague has finally put his foot down. One thing Betts has over Murphy is he still chases and applies that forward pressure.

Sps getting dropped hopefully is the kick up the back side he needs.

Dow played well against * in the practice game so could be a factor why he got picked.

Parks being in, should see him take Stringer.

Happy to see Owies getting a go too he's put in a decent effort in the 2s so it isn't undeserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back