Autopsy Round 7, 2021 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a look at the draw. I actually don't think we'll have any idea whether we're good enough until (if) we make the finals, and hence the whole season to me is going to feel like we're biding time. Just thinking about it this way is disheartening. I've always believed that sides that are the real deal type of serious contenders are able to chalk up one or two wins against serious contenders at the oppostion's home ground. And/or put in a performance where although they're struggling they still really tough it out so in the end it becomes a close loss against the contender, interstate. We may have to wait until the last minor round game against WB (and if we're able to beat them at Marvel) to get an inkling that we're good enough. All the current challengers we play at Adelaide Oval and unless we start dismantling these sides there, I won't even entertain that we're a definite premiership threat.

Regarding tonight's game, to me it looked like we definitely lacked the energy needed right from the start. Even the commentators mentioned that the intensity of the game was low which was shown in the graphic they put up. Not sure why this happens but it seemed like a similar mindset for the WC game and even the start of last week's game. It makes me question whether both players and coaches are up to it, to become a premiership team.

It’s the same thing year on year, the same losses, the same way. The lack of intensity, the silly mistakes, the lack of leadership, the in ability to turn it around when things are looking bad. The fact we could all see it was over in the first 10 minutes is a concern...

But it’s what’s happened under Ken. The same losses, the same way..

We aren’t ruthless, we lack the want and desire to both fight hard when the chips are down, and kill teams off when it’s going well.

Was worried about this game. We had friends over tonight so decided to record and watch later depending on score. Saw the quarter time score. Knew we would get belted. Totally unsurprised when I saw the final score.

Deleted the game off my IQ. Made the right call not to watch the game. It saved me alot of anger.

Same old Port...Same sh*t different year

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Fair call. I simply bailed on the game before 3qtr time and did something else. It was a pretty frustrating game with them making it look easy, or getting lucky at key moments. Brutal stuff.

Against the Saints, it seemed that we could play blindfolded. Everybody knew what everyone else was doing and where they were.

Yesterday, it seemed that we were blindfolded! And with our hands tied.

How?! HOW?!?! How is this possible?!

Back in time to the West Coast flogging. Wait a few weeks. Rinse and repeat.

Miserable and abject fail - against two sides that will more than likely be contenders at the pointy end.

Never fail to disappoint, Port. Ultimate flat track bullies.

Wines tried, but disposal poor as usual. AA and Drew both good. Frederick and Amon serviceable.
Add in 17 star struck ball watchers!!!!!

Changes for next week. Who gives a flying ****?
I've seen enough to know that we will not be a contender yet again.
Last year was our window. Our one true shot. And we blew that.
Reset. Recalibrate. Rebuild. Try again in 2 to 3 years.

Back in time to the West Coast flogging. Wait a few weeks. Rinse and repeat.

Miserable and abject fail - against two sides that will more than likely be contenders at the pointy end.

Never fail to disappoint, Port. Ultimate flat track bullies.

Wines tried, but disposal poor as usual. AA and Drew both good. Frederick and Amon serviceable.
Add in 17 star struck ball watchers!!!!!

Changes for next week. Who gives a flying ****?
I've seen enough to know that we will not be a contender yet again.
Last year was our window. Our one true shot. And we blew that.
Reset. Recalibrate. Rebuild. Try again in 2 to 3 years.

Nah we’re still in it. The reality is that the top half dozens teams all have their strengths and weaknesses and there is no standout this year. Any one of them could win it on their day including us. At this stage we just need to make sure that we get a Top 4 spot and that’s still very achievable.

Against the Saints, it seemed that we could play blindfolded. Everybody knew what everyone else was doing and where they were.

Yesterday, it seemed that we were blindfolded! And with our hands tied.

How?! HOW?!?! How is this possible?!
... love this comment .. ah the elusiveness of being the champions in a highly competitive sport. There's so many variables. The quality of the opposition has a lot to do with it. it's round 7 in a long season. hang in there!

We don’t use Dixon to his best that’s for sure... I think if he could roam a bit more it would suit him better, outwork his opponent and such, but instead we kinda use him as a statue for the players to try and jump into? It works well sometimes but he never gets involved in games and I think it hurts his confidence. He was miserable tonight honestly... I think he’d be filthy at himself for that performance.
Dumbest footballer there ever was.

I won't ever fault his effort. Which is half the problem. He'll race to half back after 20 seconds of a game to present. Which is half his problem. Because he's really stupid. But I just repeated myself 3 times.

Ollie got the ball but spurred it up almost every time.

Ditto SPP who's performance was useless.

Drew was the only thing that was a positive last night. And more games into Bergman etc

So what's the plan...limp to 5th a lose a night final in humid Brisbane?

Our coach appears to be bereft of game day nous. But we've only seen that for a decade and through 3 team rotations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 good thing, Hipwood hasn't been sighted since AA when onto him. AA best on ground for Port with daylight second
I honestly can't even remember Hipwood at all

On the few positives, Wines again was good. Drew stepped up without Boak and had one of his best games.

Rozee was starting to find more of the ball, hopefully his body is right and we can get more midfield time from him.

Bergman had some bad patches but I thought he was ok overall, probably in comparison really.

Certainly wasn't SPPs night but that gets the cobwebs off at least. He'll only get better.

Still can't shy away from the big issue at hand and that forward 50 entry. Very poor last night and we actually had our share of the ball and chances. Plenty of clearances but the wastefulness is still an issue.

We have 3 blokes down there that can clunk a mark, surely we can work out how to not kick in down the throat of Andrews.....

Funny thing is, it actually used to be the opposite, we used to lose the bulk of our games relatively close and bemoan our poor record in close games. Then Brown and Larkey combined for 15 and it seems every time we lose from then on is an embarrassing smashing (save for a vintage what happen power choke in the prelim final).

You're joking aren't you? We've on the end of many beltings before that game against Norf happened.

Honestly the bit that kills me, isn't that we keep doing this stuff. *Insert PTSD Dog*.

It's that it is 100% clear that when we play sides that are good enough to beat us at our game, they don't just beat us, they absolutely tear our whole game plan to shreds. Apart from that Richmond final, we have been spanked in all of our recent losses.

It is just so hard to believe that the keys to our game style I50's and Clearances, were so heavily in favour of us early tonight, yet we were being destroyed at our own game. They almost sat back and rope-a-doped us. They knew what we had, they backed themselves in to take the hit, weather the storm and use the our high defensive press to create easy opportunities. Once they started to get ahead and created scoreboard pressure they broke down our style and ran away with it at a million miles an hour. It had nothing to do with personnel, it was a pure strategic smashing. Something that Brisbane seem to keep doing to us with absolute ease.

A lot of those entries were 6 on 6 too

🎶 I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want
So tell me what you want, what you really, really want

View attachment 1116479

in his defence it was so easy he looked embarrassed doing it the first time. He deserves to be as arrogant as he wants against us, he’s our new eddie

Harsh mate.
It's not as though Hartlett came from 50 metres away and knocked him through a month of Sundays.
He barely touched the bloodnut. Robinson put so much mayo on it, I don't think there's any left in Brisbane.
A competent umpire wouldn't have paid it. In actual fact he should be reported for it.

What Hartlett did you see happen 100 times a game - they just don't flop as bad as the bloodnut (or if they do, the umpire doesn't get suck in like this inept moron did).

So, your saying it's Hartlett's fault because a free was overturned and then the whole team sooked it up?
If that's the case, Hartlett getting a game is the least of our problems...
I will say the UMPS surely delivered a message for the AFL tonight. Did it cost us a win? No but they missed so much in our favour it was obvious once again to see.

lastNight I was watching thinking who would I support of Port weren’t in the AFL. Sydney you’re my second side. Resilient, tough, smart, good club song.

If we get thumped a third time? It's round 7 ffs. The fact that we've been thumped twice already is just a massive flashing red light. And let's face it, take out the games against non contenders North, St Kilda, Carlton and Essendon and it's actually 2 thumpings from 3 legitimate opponents.

Agreed, one excellent fighting win, and 4 extremely soft ones where the cue has been put in the rack way too early resulting in last qtrs as boring as re-runs of Days of our Drearies has unfortunately been a trait of the hard core of the list for way too long.

Back in the last few seasons of Choco we had the stupid holding the ball up caper and playing keepings off 2 and 3 minutes before time on from as early as the first half in an attempt to preserve a lead, and that invariably went pear shaped, so whether it is coaching, game plan, mentally weak players or a combination of all 3, too many games in the Hinkley era have been over by the 5 minute mark of the 2nd term with the only `interest' left being the final margin, and I can't recall the last time we fought back to win a game against decent opposition from that situation.

We just can't trust the playing group, the ability is there but it appears the mental strength isn't, and the alarm bells were tingling for me when North, who couldn't beat time on a drum this season, jumped us early and then scored way too many easy goals after we `supposedly ' had taken control of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back