Coach Who Should Our Next Coach Be (Poll Updated)

Who Should Our Next Coach Be?

• Alistar Clarkson

Votes: 160 34.2%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 54 11.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Craig McRae

Votes: 110 23.5%
  • Dale Tapping

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are plenty on the list that could prove to be good for us. Don’t want a coach like Williams or Lyon would prefer a fresh newbie with current ideas. Someone who we can see has a creative mind and will try things.

Hi Folks

I hope & pray that the next coach is from the HAWTHORN STABLE of coaches. In my opinion they are the GOLD STANDARD of coaching pedigree. With that in mind my list irrespective of contractual status would be:

1. Alistair Clarkson
2. Damien Hardwick
3. Luke Beveridge
4. Adam Simpson

Now maybe some, if not all, of the above currently have contracts but contracts are repeatedly broken in sport - just look what happens on a daily basis in the major European Football leagues such as the Premier League, La Liga (Spain), Serie A (Italy), Bundesliga (Germany) & Ligue 1 (France) - and so if you really want an individual he will always have a price that will move him! To quote Don Corleone, make one of the above "an offer that he cannot refuse!" Plus, if there was any opposition from other quarters, the club could always go to the Federal Court & convincingly argue restraint of trade! This club needs to be really BOLD & RUTHLESS just as Carlton were in 1965 when they snatched/coerced/persuaded Ron Barassi to leave his beloved Melbourne Football Club where he had spent all of his playing years from the age of 17. Look what happened after that!

If none of those are available, my next selection would be ROSS LYON. Now I have mixed feelings about Lyon but he would certainly toughen the players up & they would certainly learn to defend or go. Of course, I have my reservations about his playing style going forward & the relative aesthetic attractiveness or otherwise of his game plan. But he certainly had the ability to get both St Kilda & Fremantle into finals on an almost regular basis. Plus, I think that he would be the sort of person who would be extremely hard & demanding on the playing group. Plus, he is naturally not a nice guy. We do not need nice guys as coach but those who will simply take no prisoners.

After him, would come the following:

SAM MITCHELL

BLAKE CARACELLA

ADAM KINGSLEY.

Finally, contemporary history going back to the mid-1970's would tell you that we always do best when we have coaches who have been sourced from outside the club. We do not need another past/in-house Collingwood legend or icon who is promising us to be taken to the Holy Grail!

Goodnight & good luck.
Since 1975.

Insiders:
  • Murray Weideman
  • Bob Rose
  • Tony Shaw
  • Nathan Buckley
Outsiders:
  • Tom Hafey
  • John Cahill
  • Leigh Matthews
  • Mick Malthouse
It's clear we need to look to an outsider.

The swans have 5 assistant coaches and we have 3.
Sanderson is responsible for ‘forward line and ball movement’.
Seriously they are both our biggest weaknesses.
Given he is such good friends with Buckley, what are the chances he would be replaced?
This club seems to be more bluster than substance.
As a minimum we should have 5 assistant coaches with development high priority.
Is it that Bucks is being paid so much that we can’t afford more assistants?

With a list full of kids, we need coaches who can develop and nurture these kids. We need teachers.

The more you delve into the club, the more concerning it is. G Wright has a big job in front of him.

In my opinion the hole football department should go including Buckley and Sanderson..
trade week has been a joke GWS would be laughing at us pick 24 & 30 for what it looks like now a top 4 pick , salary cap , Beams just to name a few.
In my opinion Buckley has lost the players and dressing room he has been coach for too long considering he has nothing to show for it.
Just his body languauge on tv looks deepresing, he is only human the current situation out our club is not helping , i dont care what anyone says his biggest stress would be his divorce not seeing his kids in a regular basis.
Personally i would give Buckkey and Sanderson the flick now. Put Harvey as interim coach until the end of the year , and start looking for a coach for 2022

Omg, Brad Johnson just said he’d re sign Buckley now to stop all the talk, wtf!!!! When pushed about another coach he said Ross Lyon, well I’ll never listen to another thing this flog says again. Seriously Lyon, he’s reputation of being ultra defensive and not developing young players is what we have now. We know how he left StKildas list and also Freo so I say that’s a massive NO!!!

Omg, Brad Johnson just said he’d re sign Buckley now to stop all the talk, wtf!!!! When pushed about another coach he said Ross Lyon, well I’ll never listen to another thing this flog says again. Seriously Lyon, he’s reputation of being ultra defensive and not developing young players is what we have now. We know how he left StKildas list and also Freo so I say that’s a massive NO!!!
Another example of a media sycophant sticking up for Buckley.

It’s astonishing.

Not sure about the senior role, ideally Clarkson, he is the best coach by a country mile but as an assistant I would be getting Justin Leppitsh down there.
Very very smart footy brain and really knows a lot tactically, listening to him on radio every week he impresses me more and more with his take on the game.

Changed my vote, think Leppa could really get something out of this group, even given it's lack of depth.

Dimma did the same and turned no names into apparently 'star' players, when really it was down to game plan, effort and a collective buy in.

If Leppa could manage the 'people' side of the group, i:e motivate the the group then there's light, maybe dim to begin with but better than we've got at the minute.

Sacking him would also "stop the talk" But the real question is who would replace him and would they be any better?
Yes it would “stop the talk”.

Well there’s three scenarios of how this plays out
  • Buckley extended for another 2 years.
  • Buckley is told his contract will not be renewed, but like Shaw in ‘99 he’ll get to coach the year out.
  • Buckley is sacked effective immediately and replaced by a caretaker for the rest of the season. Meanwhile the club starts searching for its new coach in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I watched that too, oh dear Johnno is reveling in our demise and wants it to continue.

Lol they just want him re signed so we stay s**t

Yes it would “stop the talk”.

Well there’s three scenarios of how this plays out
  • Buckley extended for another 2 years.
  • Buckley is told his contract will not be renewed, but like Shaw in ‘99 he’ll get to coach the year out.
  • Buckley is sacked effective immediately and replaced by a caretaker for the rest of the season. Meanwhile the club starts searching for its new coach in 2022.
The fourth is that Buckley himself resigns. He’s a determined man, but how long can he withstand the constant media speculation?

Clarkson is the coach we need to get post Buckley.

Clarckson is interesting. He's a bloody minded and harsh coach, seems to have a good tactical grasp of the game. Not sure to what extent Hawthorns success was down to him entirely. They did jag an unlikely flag in 2008 but he nearly lost the playing group (in Mitchell's biography he describes how in 2011 he requested a trade to Collingwood and Clarckson was stunned, he had no idea his harsh personality alienated so many players). It's become clear Fagan supplied a big part of the Hawks threepeat, as the good cop/father figure as he stands shown with his excellent development at a Brisbane.

I think Clarckson is the best coach of the current crop but only just and as Richmond shows a good coach only gets so far: we also need the admin and the staff and the players.

If we do let Bucks go it can't be a bloodbath, or we lose more than we gain, in terms of loyalty.

I think the talk about assistants is relevant. We need to recruit a good coaching panel, not just a good head coach.

Changed my vote, think Leppa could really get something out of this group, even given it's lack of depth.

Dimma did the same and turned no names into apparently 'star' players, when really it was down to game plan, effort and a collective buy in.

If Leppa could manage the 'people' side of the group, i:e motivate the the group then there's light, maybe dim to begin with but better than we've got at the minute.

Agree 100% people still don't get it that while you need talent it's more the game style and team buy in that makes players as successful as what they are, I still reckon you could slot a very average player into a champion team and his output would increase massively.
This is why we look as bad as we do, there is nothing wrong with the list or playing young guys, I am adamant on this, It is the coaches and their god awful style and no concept of ball movement mechanics that is the cause of where we are.

I'm not a big fan of getting Clarko.
We are all banging on about how bad we are but have a look at them.
They have one more win than us but their percentage is putrid.
Yes he has multiple flags but have a look at the list he had. I reckon I could have taken that team to a premiership.
Clarko hasn't really shown much since that list eventually retired, moved on etc.

Personally I would prefer a new coach. First time senior coach.
Think someone getting their first gig will have some fire in the belly.

I'm not a big fan of getting Clarko.
We are all banging on about how bad we are but have a look at them.
They have one more win than us but their percentage is putrid.
Yes he has multiple flags but have a look at the list he had. I reckon I could have taken that team to a premiership.
Clarko hasn't really shown much since that list eventually retired, moved on etc.

Personally I would prefer a new coach. First time senior coach.
Think someone getting their first gig will have some fire in the belly.
I agree

Hi Folks

I hope & pray that the next coach is from the HAWTHORN STABLE of coaches. In my opinion they are the GOLD STANDARD of coaching pedigree. With that in mind my list irrespective of contractual status would be:

1. Alistair Clarkson
2. Damien Hardwick
3. Luke Beveridge
4. Adam Simpson

Now maybe some, if not all, of the above currently have contracts but contracts are repeatedly broken in sport - just look what happens on a daily basis in the major European Football leagues such as the Premier League, La Liga (Spain), Serie A (Italy), Bundesliga (Germany) & Ligue 1 (France) - and so if you really want an individual he will always have a price that will move him! To quote Don Corleone, make one of the above "an offer that he cannot refuse!" Plus, if there was any opposition from other quarters, the club could always go to the Federal Court & convincingly argue restraint of trade! This club needs to be really BOLD & RUTHLESS just as Carlton were in 1965 when they snatched/coerced/persuaded Ron Barassi to leave his beloved Melbourne Football Club where he had spent all of his playing years from the age of 17. Look what happened after that!

If none of those are available, my next selection would be ROSS LYON. Now I have mixed feelings about Lyon but he would certainly toughen the players up & they would certainly learn to defend or go. Of course, I have my reservations about his playing style going forward & the relative aesthetic attractiveness or otherwise of his game plan. But he certainly had the ability to get both St Kilda & Fremantle into finals on an almost regular basis. Plus, I think that he would be the sort of person who would be extremely hard & demanding on the playing group. Plus, he is naturally not a nice guy. We do not need nice guys as coach but those who will simply take no prisoners.

After him, would come the following:

SAM MITCHELL

BLAKE CARACELLA

ADAM KINGSLEY.

Finally, contemporary history going back to the mid-1970's would tell you that we always do best when we have coaches who have been sourced from outside the club. We do not need another past/in-house Collingwood legend or icon who is promising us to be taken to the Holy Grail!

Goodnight & good luck.
I think it was interesting that Jordan Lewis listed Adam Yze as the best assistant coach he knows (based upon his exposure) and ahead of Mitchell based upon his experience and exposure to serving as an assistant at different clubs.
Apparently his knowledge of the game and being able to effectively communicate and break it down for the players is very highly regarded.

In my opinion the hole football department should go including Buckley and Sanderson..
trade week has been a joke GWS would be laughing at us pick 24 & 30 for what it looks like now a top 4 pick , salary cap , Beams just to name a few.
In my opinion Buckley has lost the players and dressing room he has been coach for too long considering he has nothing to show for it.
Just his body languauge on tv looks deepresing, he is only human the current situation out our club is not helping , i dont care what anyone says his biggest stress would be his divorce not seeing his kids in a regular basis.
Personally i would give Buckkey and Sanderson the flick now. Put Harvey as interim coach until the end of the year , and start looking for a coach for 2022
The problem may then be that we only have 2 coaches left. I doubt you will have experienced assistant coaches come across when they have no guarantees after this year is done given the search for a new coach.

Lyon is the coach we needed 2 years ago, not now. He can’t develop a list.

In all honesty, Buckley has done a Lyon - thrown everything at a 2-3 year tilt and then leave the club in disarray (St Kilda and Freo).

We need a coach who can develop youth, but not at the expense of hanging them out to dry. I don’t know that Clarko is the man for that, Hawks haven’t been much for the last 4-5 years other than the top 4 finish with an ageing list.

Who’s out there that can develop? Leppitsch as an assistant would be nice. Perhaps that happens with a senior coach like Kingsley or Caracella?

Its ironic were are all the Buckley fans that said to extend his contract recently? they must have gone to mount bulla on holidays since the dee fans will be staying put this year.
To the people that have concerns in regards to who replaces Buckley and the risk involved i say to you we have reached the stage of no return.
His message is not getting through, he has lost the players and the dressing room.
He has stated he will do whats best for the club, if thats the case he should leave now.
One way or the other everything we do will be a risk in regards to this matter. We need to be bold and corageous sack him now.
Hawks getting Clarkson was a risk, tigers getting Hardwick was a risk, Dogs getting Bevridge was a risk.
Us extending Buckleys contract is suicide, relace him now with a interim coach possibly Robert Harvey , then see who can we take for 2022?
I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back