Autopsy Round 7, 2021: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *CROUCH 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't notice that, I couldn't really tell where he was playing and forgot to watch when they set up. He seemed to be all over the place. He looked like he was getting touches but a bit fumbly, I was actually surprised he had such low numbers.

That's how I saw it, even watching the replay. You could tell he was putting the effort in...and looked like he was getting reward for it...but no...not really. Anyway, I think he'll get a big game at some stage, it'll click...and he'll be fine.

View attachment 1116609

I thought it was telling the number of times the boys made sure to give Hill the ball, and he was back to his best delivering it. But it was his 5 tackles and 6 contested possessions that really brought out the pearly whites for me.
A really good run down smother too.

No doubt i will cop it from a lot on here for what im about to say , First of all it was great at the ground last night getting the win but that was the worst performance by a Hawthorn team in over 10 years IMO . We will find out more in the next few weeks if we are BACK .
PS , my boy Byrnes is going to be a gun as i have said many times in the past

A really good run down smother too.
He was everything we’ve wanted him to be in this game.

Ratts did the right thing for him position wise, he had so much energy and it all fell into place. This has to be what we can expect from him (and Jones) from now on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They showed him after Clarke kicked that goal. I would like to know what he was thinking.

Which one of the two goals of the year do you mean?🤣

He seems to also play his role to a tee and usually would be instructed to play on the outside. Probably similar to Seb, this game obviously instructed to play very outside. On that note, Seb played a really good game tonight too

I made mention at the game of the fact that it was obvious that we had players deliberately and consciously holding position on the outside of packs - at long last!!

I may be going the early crow, but the challenging start to the year for Hill may end up being a blessing in disguise if his defensive game continues like this. Will be an extra string to his bow and make him a better player for it

Last night his work rate and pressure was much better than it was in previous weeks.

What a good win. Hawthorn may be pretty bad this year but this was exactly what we needed to get some confidence back into the group. And the Essendon games shows just because the easy kill is there, doesn't mean it is a guaranteed win. So to play 4 strong quarters and build some belief again will go a long way.

- Jones played on of the best midfield games of the season. The contract between his 37 and Tom Mitchell's 38 is stark - every time Jones went near the ball there was an intensity and sense of purpose to him that made you take notice that someone was happening. You could tell he was very frustrated last week and this week, instead of cracking it, he used that frustration to go harder for the footy. It was great.

- Hill's first quarter especially was electric. He was everywhere. The way he is able to direct the forward to perfect spot with his kicking is something we haven't had in our side for a long time. Plus the defensive pressure he was bringing was huge. Sinclair, also off half back, played one of his best games for a while. For the first time this year, it felt like he was reading the ball coming into defence properly and able to impact contests rather than only being good when receiving the ball. I'm not sure if both Hill and Sinclair played half back would work against teams with a bunch of great small forwards but it have us new energy this week.

- Hunter Clark. Not much else you can say. What a star.

- Jimmy Webster isnt getting enough love. He was absolutely fantastic. His defensive work is first class but he is also able to provide some creativity and top notch skills going the other way. We really have missed him in recent years and if he can stay out on the park, we are a much better team. Also down back, Coff continued his good form which shows how much of a confidence player he is - just needed the one good game to kick start his year. That was Wilkie's bast game of the year and Howard's defensive work - spoils and body positioning - was excellent. Also didnt have any woeful turn overs kicking in so huge improvement from him. Joyce played well - didnt notice him do much wrong - so exactly what you want from a defender.

- King is in his head about the goal kicking. He either tried to kick it too hard or he over corrects and doesnt kick it hard enough. Not much we can do there but give him time to work it out. Some of the marks he took were outrageous and he's still dropped over half the ones he gets his hands too. Membrey was good without being outstanding, which makes our 19 goals even more impressive to me. Battle had an almost game where he almost took some great marks in the first quarter but it was hard to tell what his role was. Need to give him a consistent spot.

- Ryder's presence just amens everyone else better. I was surprised about how lean he looks. He still looked a bit underdone so I expect in a few weeks he will have more influence with possession than he did this week. But just having him out there does so much for Marshall and King.

- Billings was outstanding, his work rate to get to as many contests as he does stood out a lot at the ground. Ross also played a fantastic game - did more short kicking and finding playing in the middle of the ground instead of bombing long which makes us a better side. He seems more explosive and mobile than last year which helps too.

- Bytel's contested and tackle numbers were fantastic but what I love most about him is he is the first person to someone to give encouragement after they do something wrong. He's done it all season and I just love that even as one of the least experienced in the side, he goes out of his way to do that. Byrnes was a good link man and looking forward to seeing how be develops.

- Higgins just quietly having a very good year. Another 4 without feeling dominant is a great return. Butler starting to get that pressure and run back which we need too.

Overall, what a great hit out that we need to build on. And to get to the end without mentioning Steele feels outrageous but shows what a great team win it was.
Bring on Gold Coast.

I made mention at the game of the fact that it was obvious that we had players deliberately and consciously holding position on the outside of packs - at long last!!

Nope, we’ve been trying to do that all year, I thought that was pretty obvious, but we haven’t been winning enough contested ball to make it work. So then it just looks like the guys on the outside aren’t going in. So then they start collapsing into the contest because they feel guilty.

Nope, we’ve been trying to do that all year, I thought that was pretty obvious, but we haven’t been winning enough contested ball to make it work. So then it just looks like the guys on the outside aren’t going in. So then they start collapsing into the contest because they feel guilty.
Right, so they end up getting sucked into the contest instead of holding position on the outside.......... ;)

I didn't mean to discredit him, I'm happy for him. I might be mean a-hole but I'm a fair minded mean a-hole. I thought he played well, he's often the link man that overlaps handball to the run past etc. He's not a one man party unit but he's like one of those old ladies in a church group that organise everything and no one recognises how much she does until she breaks her hip and father Nonce fu**s the sandwiches up with Ajax and poisons the congregation and the building falls in to disrepair, gets sold to developers and becomes a gay night club with a sacrilegious name.
St Kilda really should publish a book of the best full colour photos of our best players in flight accompanied by your best quotes - I'd buy the hell out of that.

In fact if you sent me the collection of quotes I'd have half a mind to publish the book myself even if just for my own amusement.

C2H7fZA.png

Yes, but I think the main reason this worked was because the Hawks just aren't that good. Whereas the last couple of weeks clearly we've played good sides and I think we've tried to do this but failed. There were plenty of attempted handball chains against the Tiges and Port that didn't come off because they were too good at stopping it. Even next week against GC will be harder than this week.
The one thing we changed this week was being happy to go back to a quarter back position after winning a contested ball.

it opened the fat Side up and over lap run. Took us 7 weeks. But we finallyclued on to what the better sides have done at will against us.
No doubt i will cop it from a lot on here for what im about to say , First of all it was great at the ground last night getting the win but that was the worst performance by a Hawthorn team in over 10 years IMO . We will find out more in the next few weeks if we are BACK .
PS , my boy Byrnes is going to be a gun as i have said many times in the past
Correct you can’t take a whole heap as it needs to be backed up with 2 from the next 3 for me personally.

but it was a nice result and one we desperately needed. I liked your boy Byrnes. Sceptical on the gun part 😂 it is very early and you surely would want to see more.

Obvious now is that our most important players are Marshall and Ryder which for me let’s Butler become our barometer.
But * it was nice watching Ryder paint in the ruck and Marshall get on the scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back