Autopsy Round 7, 2021: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *CROUCH 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Butler played well, but there's a couple of things in his game i don't love. He could be even more damaging for us if he chooses the best option more often.
Your spot on.

but the balance between what he does- which is trying to bring others into the play and get himself going is so fine. I would prefer instances like the dribble snap (ffs) are just punched through

Ryder's tap work is pure art. I know Gawn and NicNat win a lot of hit outs to advantage too, but I reckon Ryder's taps to advantage are the best in the league (and probably the best I've ever seen).
Pretty disheartening that we have never had a truly great tap ruckman to marvel at for a career.

also makes GT look like an even bigger imbecile then I thought he was.

Wow, totally different team. This team literally has multiple personalities.

Whilst partly attributed to the opposition, everything we did looked completely different. I thought the players got the balance between defence & offence correct. We didn’t seem to get too sucked into stoppages & always had players on the outside running at pace in a position to receive. We lowered our eyes not only when kicking inside 50 but also in general midfield & defensive play.

Ratts definitely got a few wins himself. We looked more capable around the ground with an extra marking tall & one less small forward (Lonie). Our smalls played further up the ground creating space, our wingers seemed to play more defensive side so that they could be used more as running defenders rather than attackers. Hill was brilliant. I thought Sinclair under appreciated in this game.

I really don’t want to believe our fortunes significantly changed because of Ryder however I do believe he adds a lot more swagger & confidence to the team. Hill a different beast.

It was really positive to see Jones, Hill & Crouch have big games. They needed to show the team & supporters that they aren’t here for a quick money grab. They showed they cared.

The biggest positive was Steele went under the radar with his usual 25-30 & 15 contested possessions but didn’t stand out. He got adequate support. He needs this type of consistent support for us to be a top 8 midfield.

Big test next week against the Suns on their home deck. They are a decent team & we always play close games against them.

That they are useless and that you don’t need a good ruck to win things.
Was never a GT fan, but this is a misinterpreting.
He never said they were useless but no point having a useless ruckman.

If he thought they were useless they never would have gone for Dean Cox who was signed and sealed until Gardiner did a knee at West Coast.

If he thought they were useless they never would have gone for Dean Cox who was signed and sealed until Gardiner did a knee at West Coast.
This Joffa. He said he didn't see the point of a Ruckman that only gave you a ruck contest and nothing else around the ground.

Can't under estimate the inclusions

Paddy
Rowan
Jimmy

The mids setup with Crouch and Bytel as pure inside mids even with Steele heavily tagged allowed the likes of Jones and Ross to get into a bit of space. That coupled with an elite tap ruck and an emerging ruckman makes a huge difference.

Hill off a HBF straightened up his running, or seemed to, and watching him was exactly I expected from him under the lid at Marvel. 3.3k at sprint pace is pretty awesome. Swapping him and Clark seemed to work a treat.

Caveat. This type of gameplan works against bottom eight teams. The well disciplined teams like Geelong, and others deny us the ball and slow the game off a half back. It stifles our run and stops our scoring.
We need to win the clearances and get Sinclair and Hill running hard off a HB, and manic forward pressure in the forward half to stop the opposition dominating possession.

Now is the time IMO to talk about gameplan now we have actually seen it.

Jeez it’s a bit boring with not much to whinge about.

We missed a lot of easy goals which you can’t afford to do against good sides... someone should hypnotise King.

Butler still playing some selfish footy, fortunately he’s also kicking a few goals.

Love to see young players like Byrnes play with enough confidence to continually call for the footy... 9 marks is something we’ve been missing through the mid.

Brad Hill defies human physics the way he runs away from other elite athletes... it’s like watching a car go past you at a 150km when you’re already sitting on 110.

Hard to get too excited with our bi polar side, but nice to see them running and working hard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does Byrnes stay in next week, or return of the DMac? I want to see Byrnes get lots of games, but also DMac has earned his spot although he got rubbed out.
McKenzie has been good but hard to drop a 19 yo who collected 18 disposals & didn’t make many mistakes. Unlucky timing for McKenzie unless someone comes out injured. Or maybe Battle or Joyce? Our team balance looks pretty good.

Battle is the one who’s a bit in no mans land ATM. I’d be happy to go unchanged but if we want McKenzie in I think it has to be Battle that goes out because he doesn’t really have a position. Plus we need speed and pressure more than we need another tall.

Byrnes definitely shouldn’t come out though. Apart from one kick into the middle that was slightly off he used the ball well.

That they are useless and that you don’t need a good ruck to win things.

Pretty much taken without context though. Chased Cox so rated good ones. I agree that a good ruck is a huge advantage but a poor or middling ruck are a waste of a position.

Is that true or were his thoughts more along the lines of if you don’t have a really good one they’re useless.
Pretty much taken without context though. Chased Cox so rated good ones. I agree that a good ruck is a huge advantage but a poor or middling ruck are a waste of a position.
For context the Dean Cox we nearly landed was the 2nd string running last in time trials dean cox. So let’s not pretend we were about to land the future hall of fame version.

the club under GT were trading GOP ruckman in and out. GT played one ruck and then preferred Blake who gave effort and was serviceable. However he got destroyed many a time against the big birds (as they should).

So does Byrnes stay in next week, or return of the DMac? I want to see Byrnes get lots of games, but also DMac has earned his spot although he got rubbed out.
Byrnes is not going to be dropped

Byrnes was good, deserves another crack.

DMac might just be unlucky.

If anyone deserves to go out it's probably Battle, but having am extra tall that can plug holes is handy.

Battle is way way too good to not be playing in my opinion. I would put him at CHB where he played so well last year.

Dougal and Battle at key posts. Frees up Wilkie to do his thing. Battle can read and attack the aerial balls from defense.

It also *touch wood* opens up a key forward position for Bing to join Ming!
Get the feeling Battle needs his role to be significantly simplified.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back