Autopsy Swans Vs Cats Rnd... 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The win was everything the Gold Coast game wasn't (after the first quarter), getting numbers to the contest,not wasting Forward 50 entries etc. Even with questionable umpiring for the bulk of the game, they hung in their in true Bloods spirit.
Hickey, what moe could be said, defnitely in terms of what the club needed the perfect fit at Sydney. Thought Rowbottom worked his way into the game and looked better and better as the match went on, and Melican proably his best game for the season before injury.
Upfront Mclean was second to Hickey for BOG for mine, hopefully can retain a bench spot once Buddy is back.
With both Buddy and Reid out for a while McLean can settle in. Interesting whether we persevere with Sinkers to give the structure and ruck relief. He didn't star but did a fair job. My guess is that we will.
Heeney looks way short of 100%.

Lucky - I think the kick did travel 15m at the end. And one second longer and Rowbottom is gone for holding-the-ball.
But enough of those line-ball calls go against us in a game, so sometimes they can go our way.

The other big issue is - that we are winning games without Buddy. At some point, a sometime full forward becomes too disruptive. Ask Clarko.

Definition of irony.
AFL policing the 15 metre rule after comments from a Vic coach due to defeat by Swans.

Swans win due to a not 15 metres call.
Umpire called... "touched..play-on...touched...play on" .. Then JC caught the ball.

Richo just made s**t up.

Umpire called... "touched..play-on...touched...play on" .. Then JC caught the ball.

Richo just made sh*t up.
Thought that Nicholls had a very fair game. The other two were very ordinary. Rosebury two dodgy as feck pushes, terrible call on the Close free. Did Heffernan pay us anything? Must have missed it.
But Nicholls will be the one pressured about the non-mark. Need the hide of a rhinoceros to be an ump.

Hickey somehow seems to energize the midfield. That smash, grab, right foot goal was ridiculous and you could see the young guys lift.
TBH we should have lost that game, but as 🐴 says "they found a way".
Heaps of contributions. At half time I asked "has anyone see seen Stephens?" and he comes out with some ripper possessions and a goal. Not amongst the best but a contributor.
McInerney in the back pocket and 90 seconds later up the other end kicking a clutch goal.
Really enjoyed Scott's pissy presser. "Hard to be gracious" he says. Watch 🐴 Dickhead.

yep, any suggestion of scott being 'gracious' is wrong ... anything 'gracious' he says is patronising crap, trying to be ironic and clever, i've never bought any of it, he's an olympic-standard sook, an attention seeker doing all he can to deflect any spotlight on him for repeated failures in recent finals with one of the most salary-cap-defying, individually talented squads of the past decade ...
geelong have had a charmed run with umpires, overall, for years and they want to whinge about the last 30 seconds last night ... they can lick my bag

Last edited:
yep, any suggestion of scott being 'gracious' is wrong ... anything 'gracious' he says is patronising crap, trying to br ironic and clever, i've never bought any of it, he's an olympic-standard sook, an attention seeker doing all he can to deflect any spotlight on him for repeated failures in recent finals with one of the most salary-cap-defying, individually talented squads of the past decade ...
geelong have had a charmed run with umpires, overall, for years and they want to whinge about the last 30 seconds last night ... they can lick my bag
I think that's a bit unfair. When the 15m call was raised he immediately brought up the Stephens deliberate call and suggested it might have been harsh too. Sure, he was saying the umpires might have got it wrong but chose a specific example to make the point that it went both ways. What other coach would do that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that's a bit unfair. When the 15m call was raised he immediately brought up the Stephens deliberate call and suggested it might have been harsh too. Sure, he was saying the umpires might have got it wrong but chose a specific example to make the point that it went both ways. What other coach would do that?

not just last night, although there's enough of it, but you go through both scott brothers' history of post-loss conferences and you'd get a better idea of them ... a form of passive-aggressive whingeing and deflecting, c scott has it down to a fine art ...

Not enough made of just how good Papley's finish was. Could anyone else in the side other than Heeney do that on their non-preferred?

The Hick did it as well!

Not enough made of just how good Papley's finish was. Could anyone else in the side other than Heeney do that on their non-preferred?

I'm trying to think of other players who would even attempt it.

Think McInerney would give it a good crack, Warner would try, Gulden can kick off both feet.

It’s somewhat concerning that we appear to get ourselves up for teams at the top of the table, yet play poorer against sides we should beat.

Most young sides have different motivations.

Plus GC traditionally have been a bad matchup for a few years now, GWS know our list inside out so games will typically be close and Essendon we have that close history against.

With about a third of the season being played, I just tried to do a top 10 in the Skilton as it stands. It was genuinely too hard beyond the top two. I'm pretty confident that Hickey and Mills would be our top two right now but after that I genuinely found it impossible to guess with any confidence. McCartin, Kennedy, Parker, Papley, Florent, Cunningham, Warner, Dawson, McInerney, Lloyd (don't think he's had a great year but he's valued highly by the coaches) and Reid would all have enough good games to be contending for top 10 spots.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back