List Mgmt. OOC 2021, who is playing for their careers 2021 edition?

The most probable de listings I see on the list of OOC players at this stage are Connor McFadyen, Archie Smith and Grant Birchall(retire).
Connor McFadyen or Connor Ballenden?
I would extend McFadyen and give him a chance after being out for a year with his knee. Could longer term be the big bodied mid we are chasing.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Connor McFadyen or Connor Ballenden?
I would extend McFadyen and give him a chance after being out for a year with his knee. Could longer term be the big bodied mid we are chasing.
No I was thinking McFadyen but yer Ballenden would be on shaky ground as well, IIRC you need to delist/move on at least 3 players each season so they were the 3 I thought most likely.

McFadyen may be worth another year to see if he can stay injury free and what he has to offer as a big mid who can float forward.

Looking at the players OOC for us in 2021, I think something like this looks reasonable in what's going to happen regarding contracts so far this season:

Grant Birchall (Retire)
Lincoln McCarthy (3 year contract)
Jarryd Lyons (3 year contract)
Tom Fullarton (2 year contract)
Connor McFadyen (Rookie)
Rhys Mathieson (Delisted/Traded)
Archie Smith (Delisted/Traded)
Dayne Zorko (2 year contract)
Connor Ballenden (Delisted/Traded)
Thomas Joyce (Rookie)
James Madden (Rookie)
Mitch Robinson (1 year contract)
Brock Smith (Rookie)
Keidean Coleman (2 year contract)
Carter Michael (Rookie)

As well as that, the club might want to trade someone like Ely Smith this year (OOC 2022) for trade or draft currency if they feel like he isn't part of the club's plans in the future.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking at the players OOC for us in 2021, I think something like this looks reasonable in what's going to happen regarding contracts so far this season:

Grant Birchall (Retire)
Connor McFadyen (Rookie)
Thomas Joyce (Rookie)
James Madden (Rookie)
Brock Smith (Rookie)
Carter Michael (Rookie)

As well as that, the club might want to trade someone like Ely Smith this year (OOC 2022) for trade or draft currency if they feel like he isn't part of the club's plans in the future.
Smith won't get anything valuable. Worth more to us than a pick in the 40's or something. Matho, l would hold off until Neale gets back as he would have 7ish more weeks to show what he has.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Grant Birchall (Retire)
Connor McFadyen (Rookie)
Thomas Joyce (Rookie)
James Madden (Rookie)
Brock Smith (Rookie)
Carter Michael (Rookie)

It’s unlikely that Lyons or McCarthy sign 3 year contracts. More likely 2 years.

It’s unlikely that Lyons or McCarthy sign 3 year contracts. More likely 2 years.

Yeah true, I was going to say 2-3 years in the first place but settled for 3 years given how valuable they have been with the club these past 3 years, on-field and also off-field results as well. 2 years seems the most sensible option probably as well IMO.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Still well paid. Prob amongst top 6 or 7 at the club.... sure a pay rise but the point I was making is thst he won't get a 'Big' pay rise that people who don't know anything.
Wouldn’t have thought he’d be top 6 or 7.

I was thinking he’d be on something in the region of $500k per, from the way Whiting explained it.

Lyons could be a chance for three. McCarthy would definitely only be a two year. The difference between being a midfield star and a role player.

Lyons could be a chance for three. McCarthy would definitely only be a two year. The difference between being a midfield star and a role player.

Two years for both please. Can understand Lyons wanting and being in a position to expect three though.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon McCarthy will hold out for the financial security of a 3rd year. Hard to argue that he doesn't deserve it at this stage.
Linc has been a fantastic trade - particularly given his injury history prior to us picking him up and how consistently good he has been as a role player for us...love what he brings to our team.

I reckon McCarthy will hold out for the financial security of a 3rd year. Hard to argue that he doesn't deserve it at this stage.

29 games in first 5 years with Geelong and already close to 50 games with Lions. He's become a solid player for us and part of leadership team too. 3 years won't be a bad call for Linc, especially at role player $$$. Gets him to 100 and first dibs on Lenny McCarthy :grinning:

Connor McFadyen: worth persevering for another year. Firstly, because he showed some promise before injury. Secondly, because we need to keep Grider - future star.

Never thought I'd have that as a factor, but there you go...

Reminds me of Tim Notting + Jodie Henry. I wonder if Tim's still involved with club in some capacity. Couple of likely academy father sons there too :)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wasn’t there an offer on the table from us and Lyons then asked to be delisted?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kind of my point. Doubt we’d have to offer him much to pry him from a club willing to give him away for free

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Linc has been a fantastic trade - particularly given his injury history prior to us picking him up and how consistently good he has been as a role player for us...love what he brings to our team.
His ball handling skills in the wet especially IMO has been exquisite as well. Has made the ball look like it has been completely dry.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My thoughts at this stage:

Grant Birchall - retire
Lincoln McCarthy - extend for a couple but on better money. With his injury history you would think more than that is too much.
Jarryd Lyons - extend for a couple.
Tom Fullarton - extend for a couple on minimum
Connor McFadyen - wait and see. Maybe rookie him if he is looking okay but I think he is likely gone.
Rhys Mathieson - don't mind keeping him as a team man who can play when needed and provides a mature body in the reserves.
Archie Smith - if they can get someone with more upside grab them and delist Archie otherwise another year on the rookie list.
Connor Ballenden - if he keeps playing as he has someone will be interested. I would certainly extend him if we can
Thomas Joyce - likely gone unless he really improves.
James Madden - extend for a year or two
Mitch Robinson - one year deal if he wants to keep going.
Brock Smith - needs to show more.
Keidean Coleman - extend for three
Carter Michael - sign for another year on the rookie list.

Back