Unsolved The Zodiac Killer

Remove this Banner Ad

It has always been assumed that PARADICE is spelt wrong but not only was it spelt that way in English around the 15th century it is also spelt that way in some other languages. If you assume it is spelt correctly it could narrow the possible suspects, but then it could also expand it in a multicultural country.

The most basic definition of it that i can find is - "a place of pleasure" - from the Greek language, the word itself is believed to have come the Persian language. Whilst Greece did manage to win the Greco-Persian wars in the end many Greek city states where at some point or another conquered, held and influenced by Persia. This went on for about 100 years.

We see similar occurrences in the English language still today amongst different English speaking countries, and foreign languages often translate with different spellings.

So the question is is it really spelt wrong or just spelt that way by someone of another nationality/language?
Possibly - that may well be an angle that might solve the rest

But I cant help feel that the depth of crypto suggests a fluent speaker of English ie born to it

I tend to like the 'military' theory; that he was involved in the armed forces or joined them shortly after he began his killing spree. The violence and 'hunting of man' terminology suggests he could be one of those personality types who joins the military "To Kill".

Plus, as others have said, the cyphers could be from some sort of military training in intelligence or coding.

It might also explain why the killings suddenly stopped. This was the height of the Vietnam War; maybe he got shipped off to 'Nam and was killed in action? Nobody makes any connection because he's just one of many random people who died in the war.

some theories out there suggest that the teacher that cracked the code had something to do with Zodiac

Donald Harden and his wife, were said to have cracked the first code very quickly, where as the top Navy code breakers couldnt

his description matches Zodiac and some hand writing.

some theories out there suggest that the teacher that cracked the code had something to do with Zodiac

Donald Harden and his wife, were said to have cracked the first code very quickly, where as the top Navy code breakers couldnt

his description matches Zodiac and some hand writing.
Sounds far fetched. Surely he was ruled out extremely early on in the piece.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Fouke estimated the white male pedestrian to be 35-to-45 years old, 5'10" tall with a crew cut, similar to but slightly older than the description of the teenagers who observed the killer in and out of Stine's cab as a 25-to-30-year-old crewcut white male about 5-foot-8-inch (1.73 m) to 5-foot-9-inch (1.75 m) tall.

Description from the Paul Stine shooting

Harden was 40-41 in 1969

Possibly from newspaper reports of the time - but if someone can identify when this was taken

1619927479065.png

I dont see crewcut in that

Harden lived in Salinas California which is 106m from San Francisco

Fouke estimated the white male pedestrian to be 35-to-45 years old, 5'10" tall with a crew cut, similar to but slightly older than the description of the teenagers who observed the killer in and out of Stine's cab as a 25-to-30-year-old crewcut white male about 5-foot-8-inch (1.73 m) to 5-foot-9-inch (1.75 m) tall.

Description from the Paul Stine shooting

Harden was 40-41 in 1969

Possibly from newspaper reports of the time - but if someone can identify when this was taken

View attachment 1116849

I dont see crewcut in that

Harden lived in Salinas California which is 106m from San Francisco
I came across this youtube page by accident, I guess the author beleives it and has posted many vids.

Arthur leigh Allen would be my tip. but there is some doubt he wrote the cyphers

Interesting update - anyone know if this bloke has been linked previously or is it a completely new suspect?

EDIT: Seems to be a bit of doubt being raised on reddit, but interesting - you can read what is purported to be the evidence at https://secureservercdn.net/166.62....s/2021/09/Zodiac-Killer-Press-release-1-1.pdf

Last edited:

Interesting update - anyone know if this bloke has been linked previously or is it a completely new suspect?

EDIT: Seems to be a bit of doubt being raised on reddit, but interesting - you can read what is purported to be the evidence at https://secureservercdn.net/166.62....s/2021/09/Zodiac-Killer-Press-release-1-1.pdf

Really interesting, thanks. Others in here may have but I've seen his name before.

zodiac.jpg

Apparently fake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Casefile has released part 1 of their new podcast. I'm not as across all this as I could be but I think they might have found more victims? Or they think the Zodiac wasn't responsible for all the murders he claimed.

Maybe I should listen to it again.

Just finished the Casefile eps and yeah it's a bizarre one. Arthur Leigh Allen definitely seems a strong suspect but there's enough nagging doubt there to make me question it. I'm certainly far from convinced he's definitely the Zodiac.

One thing that's confusing me though: witness descriptions frequently mention the Zodiac as being heavyset which would fit with Allen but the identikits from the Presidio Heights murder of the bloke the neighbours and police saw fleeing the scene depict someone much slimmer than Allen. Certainly photos of Allen supposedly from the late 1960s show him as a chubby, balding guy at odds with the slimmer guy with the crew cut from the identikits. Now I know identikits aren't meant to be 100% accurate but appearance wise it's a fairly big difference.

The military connection is something that I can't really go past. I'd like to suggest a slightly different direction to one that turns up a few posts higher up the thread. What if rather than someone who stopped because they went to Vietnam, what if it's someone who started killing in the aftermath of a stint in Vietnam? Someone who was one of the earlier Americans sent to Vietnam, in Vietnam era-style "saw some things", developed mental issues and was discharged from the military. With little support, there was no checking on him so he slowly became more deranged and started killing and enjoyed toying with police, using skills in code creation to create his ciphers. Eventually he does something unrelated that either gets him locked up or put in a mental facility for a time, explaining the lack of communication for years. Then when he gets out he sends another message. Given the content of the recently solved cipher, he doesn't seem to fear death so it honestly wouldn't surprise me if at some point he reached the stage where he mentally deteriorated to the point of taking his own life to be with his slaves, which would explain the stop in communications and attacks

Allen Arthur Leigh was ruled out as a suspect because his fingerprints and handwriting didn't match, and as SquiffyRae mentioned nor does the Identikit.

There are a few links that point towards a military connection.
1) Vallejo used to be a Naval Base Town back then and it is believe TZK knew Vallejo to well to not have lived there for some time.
2) The shoe print they found was of a military style boot predominately used by the navy.
3) The 340-cypher comes out of a 1950s military cryptography field manual.

They sent the envelopes the cyphers were sent in to a lab for DNA testing in 2018 but I haven't heard anything more on that since. I suspect covid has delayed that process.

DNA seems like the only real option to crack the mystery. If it does get solved it'll be another GSK style crime where they get a DNA profile, feed it into a public database and find a match (or a close enough match to connect the dots).

The only other clue I can think of is I noticed the number 13 appears a couple of times. First the "my name is" ciper and I recall something else to do with his name that had the number 13 in it too. Could be another red herring or it could be the one genuine clue he ever added to his correspondence. Would make sense in a way for it to be genuine since anyone with his knowledge of codes and ciphers would know really short ciphers are impossible to solve with any certainty. Would be amazing if the guy eventually gets identified and some variation of his name has 13 letters

Allen Arthur Leigh was ruled out as a suspect because his fingerprints and handwriting didn't match, and as SquiffyRae mentioned nor does the Identikit.

There are a few links that point towards a military connection.
1) Vallejo used to be a Naval Base Town back then and it is believe TZK knew Vallejo to well to not have lived there for some time.
2) The shoe print they found was of a military style boot predominately used by the navy.
3) The 340-cypher comes out of a 1950s military cryptography field manual.

They sent the envelopes the cyphers were sent in to a lab for DNA testing in 2018 but I haven't heard anything more on that since. I suspect covid has delayed that process.
I loved the movie and ALA as the suspect, but Ross Sullivan is my man

I loved the movie and ALA as the suspect, but Ross Sullivan is my man
Sullivan definitely fits the bill appearance wise, way better than Allen

Him dying in 1977 would also tie in with the stopping of any commentary from the Zodiac

Also another interesting tidbit:

Ross Steven Sullivan
Ross S Sullivan
4 + 1 + 8 = 13
In theory, if the 13 letter cipher wasn't a red herring, Sullivan's name is a solution

Sullivan definitely fits the bill appearance wise, way better than Allen

Him dying in 1977 would also tie in with the stopping of any commentary from the Zodiac

Also another interesting tidbit:

Ross Steven Sullivan
Ross S Sullivan
4 + 1 + 8 = 13
In theory, if the 13 letter cipher wasn't a red herring, Sullivan's name is a solution
I thought he was also top suspect for Cheri-Jo Bates in Riverside where some speculate the killings commenced

Remove this Banner Ad

Back