What happened to......??

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I mentioned Chris O'Donnell on here a few years ago. If I may quote myself (ha):

What really happened to Chris O'Donnell's movie career?

He reckons he backed off from Hollywood to become a family man, but such stories in showbiz usually sound like bullshit

However, he did take extended breaks after being in a couple of big movies (although, his heavily criticised performance in Batman And Robin might've had something to do with that), so maybe it's true

He was in 12 films between 1990 and 1997, including Scent Of A Woman, The Three Musketeers, and 2 Batman movies (playing Robin), but didn't make a movie for 2 years after that, during which time he reckons he knocked back the Agent J role in Men In Black (Will Smith), mostly because he didn't wanna play another sidekick.

He came back in 1999 and was in 2 duds -- The Bachelor and Cookie's Fortune -- but after starring in the successful Vertical Limit in 2000, he backed off from movies again. He did 7 mostly low-budget films between 2001 and 2010, then only tv after that. I guess he was happy doing NCIS and no movies

Last edited:

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Tayler Kane was an Australian actor who was in a number of soaps both here and in the UK, as well as other TV series and movies. If you watched the crime drama series 'Fire' in the mid 1990s, he played Grievous, a firefighter who talked about himself in the third person.

He was also in the underrated and now forgotten Australian comedy film 'You and Your Stupid Mate' in 2005, where he played a soap opera star who is angered by the two slacker main characters when they say his TV catch phrase to him, this setting off a number of flashbacks of similar incidents in his mind.

'You and Your Stupid Mate' turned out to be Kane's last credited acting role. His IMDB and Wikipedia pages make no mention of what has happened to him in 15 years since then. I wonder what became of him?

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
When English actor Tim Brooke-Taylor sadly died from COVID 19 today, I was reminiscing about how in the 1980s The Goodies were often employed as useful babysitters who kept the kids occupied and out of the way for an hour or so before tea on weekday afternoons. Doctor Who was often shown around the same time on the ABC, along with a number of different cartoons and a zany live action science fiction sitcom from England called Metal Mickey, which ran from 1980-1983. If you don't remember Metal Mickey, it was about a somewhat dysfunctional English family who have a robot to assist them, the titular Metal Mickey, but the robot often proves more a hindrance than a help and the family end up in one crazy and comical mishap after another.

I was thinking about what happened to the actors who played the family, and I looked them up. The actress who played the grandmother, Irene Handel, died in 1987 of old age, and actress Georgina Melville, who played the mother died relatively young at 55 in the early 2000s. Michael Stainton, who played the grumpy, snobbish and easily stressed out father is still alive although retired from acting at age 86. The actors who played the two sons, Gary Shail and Ashley Knight, continued with intermittent acting roles in films and TV (Shail more than Knight), with both men doing more stage than screen acting in recent decades. Lola Young, who played the neighbor Janey, entered politics and was knighted, now sitting as a peer in the House of Lords. Metal Mickey himself who knows - maybe he shacked up with a Dalek?

But of the cast, one seemed to vanish from the face of the planet, and this was Lucinda Bateson, who played the pretty but hot-tempered teenage daughter Hayley. Her IMDB page lists a number of roles in the late 1970s and early 1980s besides Metal Mickey, but after a role in 'Hart to Hart' in 1983 she seemed to disappear from existence. She doesn't have a Wikipedia page, and although she may have changed her last name through marriage and 37 years have gone by since her last credited acting role, a Google search brought up zero information of what became of her, whether she is married, has children, what occupation she moved into, or even if she is still alive. I wonder what happened to Lucinda Bateson?

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
What happened to Monica Potter's film career? She was in 4 reasonably successful movies between 1997 and 2004 -- Con Air (a small part), Patch Adams, Along Came a Spider, and Saw -- but only made 2 films after that (in 2008 and 2009). I guess, like a lot of people, she wanted to do more tv instead, so she stay in one spot and spend more time with her family. However, her tv career didn't really take off until she got in Parenthood in 2010. Eh, what-evs. Ha

Monica%20Potter1.jpg

Last edited:

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Not one person specifically, but I sometimes wonder what becomes of people who behaved badly on TV reality shows in the past, and what they think of themselves and their actions now. Obviously reality shows are 'enhanced' for maximum drama, but regardless the contestants did agree to appear on them in the first place, and were suitable candidates.

For example, a really spoiled 16-year-old girl who appeared on 'My Super Sweet 16' in 2007 constantly bitching and complaining, and being rude, selfish, demanding and ungrateful to everyone - parents, siblings, other relatives, friends, vendors, party planners - and generally making a total spectacle of herself. Now aged 30, possibly married, possibly a mother herself by now, you have to wonder what she thinks of how she behaved on national television many years earlier. Does she feel shame or embarrassment, a lot of regret? Is she a nicer person now? Obviously all people are different, but you have to wonder what people from these shows think about their 5 minutes of fame when they were younger.

What happened to Hong Kong-born Aussie Stephany Jacobsen? She did a fair bit of stuff between 2001 and 2014, then virtually disappeared, and has only had 2 acting gigs since. Did she quit to have kids?

SGG-110184-Stephanie-Jacobsen-400x600.jpg
Enjoyed her in The Sarah Connor Chronicles, played a love interest to the Vanilla Ice kid from Beverly Hills 90210. who was in the show as well.

Doing voice over for an animation movie.

What happened to Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I mean obviously I know it was cancelled, but damn, was good.
It was a combination of the writers strike, drop in audience numbers due to change in day of the week (Friday is the worst time slot in the US), very long seasons (s2 was 20+ episodes)

A solid show for its time, it is very well respected by Terminator fans too.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It was a combination of the writers strike, drop in audience numbers due to change in day of the week (Friday is the worst time slot in the US), very long seasons (s2 was 20+ episodes)

A solid show for its time, it is very well respected by Terminator fans too.

I thought S1 was better for the strike, led to less episodes and more quality.

S2 was chock full of forgettable filler but the highs were still high.

I thought S1 was better for the strike, led to less episodes and more quality.

S2 was chock full of forgettable filler but the highs were still high.
S1 was the bomb, S2 was good too, but yes it had too many filler episodes which was unfortunate. I wouldnt have cared so much if they provided us with a decent ending.

It had plenty of material to make a solid 4-5 seasons of 10 episodes each.

The cliffhanger of s2 sucks so much as I was very invested in it at the time and wanted to see how it all played out.

That Aussie actress of Asian background was so annoying, making up Aussie slang that I have never even heard off lol.

S2 had some quality twists and turns, how John's gf was actually sent back in time to turn him against the Terminator (Summer) and knew the Asian girl, not to mention that the liquid terminator was actually with John and the resistance.

Im probably going over the top in saying this but the final episode arc of S2 which was about 3-4 episodes long, was almost movie length quality.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
S1 was the bomb, S2 was good too, but yes it had too many filler episodes which was unfortunate. I wouldnt have cared so much if they provided us with a decent ending.

It had plenty of material to make a solid 4-5 seasons of 10 episodes each.

The cliffhanger of s2 sucks so much as I was very invested in it at the time and wanted to see how it all played out.

That Aussie actress of Asian background was so annoying, making up Aussie slang that I have never even heard off lol.

S2 had some quality twists and turns, how John's gf was actually sent back in time to turn him against the Terminator (Summer) and knew the Asian girl, not to mention that the liquid terminator was actually with John and the resistance.

Im probably going over the top in saying this but the final episode arc of S2 which was about 3-4 episodes long, was almost movie length quality.

When the first Teminator died it begun to go a bit downhill, like the first main one, Kromartie or something? I know we has brought back as John Henry, but his vibe as the Terminator was Robert Patrick esque.

I also loved the weird ****ed up really subtly sexual stuff between John and Cameron that they like, forgot for 2/3rds of the season then brought back right at the end.

I almost agree with that, the last two episodes were like a different show. The finale of season one too is one of my all time favourite TV episodes.

Back