Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you sure that Sydney also missed the 8?

If your predictive powers are on par with your memory, The Cats are very safe.

We made the 8 in 2017 after starting Owen6.

As for the Cats, I was really impressed with Henry and a couple of their younger mids.

Some will argue the Cats ran out of juice after a dominant first quarter but I don't think that is right. Sydney fixed some coaching errors at quarter time and ground their way back. Scott probably erred in delaying the move of Blicavs on to Hickey.

The match ended up an absorbing contest of different game styles and demographics.

The footy karma bus hit them big time last night and will now cost them a top 4 spot. Will still make finals but will need a miracle to win the flag...

Like our trades to get in Omera and Wingard, the Cameron trade is going to bite them big tile in 2-3 years time

Are you sure that Sydney also missed the 8?

If your predictive powers are on par with your memory, The Cats are very safe.

Well there you go I thought the Swans missed the 8. Maybe I’ll rephrase it the two teams that have lost to Richmond have dropped out of the 8 and Geelong will be in the same boat .Been a great club and amazing achievement to keep that list they have up around the mark but I reckon a few teams have gone ahead of them this year with the game speeding up.

The footy karma bus hit them big time last night and will now cost them a top 4 spot. Will still make finals but will need a miracle to win the flag...

Like our trades to get in Omera and Wingard, the Cameron trade is going to bite them big tile in 2-3 years time

You can dream I guess. We effectively traded Kelly for Cameron plus a late first. List looks alright from where I sit, Hawthorn's list is trash.

No Cameron is a great get for them and any club would have him no question about that he is a star. I can see why they recruiting Smith and Higgins the next tier like Myers and Dalhouse are VFL standard so they needed more polish around them but they just are slow and have no dare in the game style.

You can dream I guess. We effectively traded Kelly for Cameron plus a late first. List looks alright from where I sit, Hawthorn's list is trash.

I agree, our list is arguably the worst in the comp...I told everyone this 3 years ago...our supporters refused to listen...they thought getting Omera and Wingard and spuds like Scully and Patton were a good idea...your list is exactly where we were 3 years ago... recruiting for the “now” to win a flag...whilst I believe your team is much better than ours was in 2016-2018 when Clarko thought we could pinch another, you’re currently well behind Melbourne, Richmond, bulldogs and port and will be every further behind 2022-2024.

I agree, our list is arguably the worst in the comp...I told everyone this 3 years ago...our supporters refused to listen...they thought getting Omera and Wingard and spuds like Scully and Patton were a good idea...your list is exactly where we were 3 years ago... recruiting for the “now” to win a flag...whilst I believe your team is much better than ours was in 2016-2018 when Clarko thought we could pinch another, you’re currently well behind Melbourne, Richmond, bulldogs and port and will be every further behind 2022-2024.

Don't disagree that we are behind the top sides, but I don't see how you can predict the future, given we have been around the top 4 for about 16 years now.

Don't disagree that we are behind the top sides, but I don't see how you can predict the future, given we have been around the top 4 for about 16 years now.

You have been a great home and away side..not disputing that, but finishing top 4 is not what people remember and can often be misleading...we finished top 4 in 2018..we won 5 games by under a kick...we could have easily missed the 8...our team even then was starting to show signs of a cliff fast approaching...finishing top 4 in 2018 has now set us back an extra 5 years at least...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats threw that game away via profligacy and not consistently clamping down on Swans strategy to continuosly go down the guts.

Umps? Not interested in those distracting arguments, game won and lost by the teams.

I admire the young Swans risk taking, and they have quality all over the ground.

Cats look okay to me (hey I'm a Pie, everyone else looks good to me!), youth is stepping up, and the 2 gun forwards need time to work it just like Walls Jezza, Riewoldt Lynch, Salmon VDHaar etc.

Yep. Cats are good to contend for another couple of years. They will still finish at the pointy end this year and challenge.

You have been a great home and away side..not disputing that, but finishing top 4 is not what people remember and can often be misleading...we finished top 4 in 2018..we won 5 games by under a kick...we could have easily missed the 8...our team even then was starting to show signs of a cliff fast approaching...finishing top 4 in 2018 has now set us back an extra 5 years at least...

Hawks fans can cry into their premierships about the list now. Geelong and Hawthorn are very different, not the same path at all.

It's interesting... Richmond and Geelong are both 4-3. Percentage is pretty similar. Both lost to Swans. Both played off in the GF last year (perhaps of less relevance to the other points).

But because the Tigers knocked off the Dogs and the Cats lost, the predictions for the two couldn't be more different. Last week it was the other way round, with the Tiges losing and the Cats destroying a depleted Eagles. Recency bias is a wonderful thing.

What is Geelong's system?
Can we lose players and bring in no names and get results? Big difference in the coaching down at both clubs.
Richmond bring back Vlastuin, Martin and Prestia and they are a clear step up in quality. They also have Lambert and Soldo still to return. Two B graders of their own.

Geelong's missing Dangerfield, Higgins and a couple of B graders like Kolodjashnij and O'Conner and we are no different to where we were at 4-3 for the season.
So Dangerfield is an A grader and Lambert is a B grader ... ok

What is Geelong's system?
Can we lose players and bring in no names and get results? Big difference in the coaching down at both clubs.
Richmond bring back Vlastuin, Martin and Prestia and they are a clear step up in quality.

Geelong's missing Dangerfield, Higgins and a couple of B graders like Kolodjashnij and O'Conner and we are no different to where we were at 4-3 for the season.

Why does that indicate coaching? Maybe it means Richmond's average player ability is higher than Geelong's so they can spread the load more evenly? Not saying that's the case, it's just a possibility.

Maybe it's not a case of too old, too slow, and just not good enough. Sure, we've struggled to beat the Tigers over the past few years, but who hasn't? If we'd gotten lucky like the Eagles did in 2018 (avoiding the Tiges) and were playing Port in the GF, could've been a different matter. (Yes, that's a separate discussion - let's not go there in this thread.)

On a semi-related note, we were 4-3 this time last year with Danger, Kolo, O'Connor in the team - and we'd had some bad losses e.g. Carlton, Collingwood - and had just scraped over the line against a crappy Melbourne. I doubt many were thinking we'd be playing off in a GF several months later.

Been horrible going inside 50 with long and high dinky kicks and also been poor kicking set shots. 12 goals 16 last night is not very good efficiency. Same with the North game too, 10 goals 17. Not gonna win many games against good teams with that sort of kicking for goal.

It's interesting... Richmond and Geelong are both 4-3. Percentage is pretty similar. Both lost to Swans. Both played off in the GF last year (perhaps of less relevance to the other points).

But because the Tigers knocked off the Dogs and the Cats lost, the predictions for the two couldn't be more different. Last week it was the other way round, with the Tiges losing and the Cats destroying a depleted Eagles. Recency bias is a wonderful thing.
We have "beaten" only one top 8 team so far, and were lucky to do so.
I think we will be mid-table this year.
Comp is so even, and losses to any team will not be an upset.
Tigers- we just know they will turn it on whenever there is a perceived challenge, so the Demons win was a beauty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back