Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
No resume on GW desk today is better than Buckley’s - it’s the simple truth of the last 3 years, which has been his best 3 consecutive years in his tenure.

Your narrative is naive by comparison, because the above would be how prospective Clubs will look at his ability, and the achievements of that period in any assessment for a Coaching position.

What do you mean.. you would take a 10 yr experienced coach in Buckley over a Clarkson or a Longmuir or a Hardwick if say they were putting their hands up.. right now.. for their first gig as senior coach?

What do you mean.. you would take a 10 yr experienced coach in Buckley over a Clarkson or a Longmuir or a Hardwick if say they were putting their hands up.. right now.. for their first gig as senior coach?

If they have their resume on GW’s desk then that’s great and I’d be wrong.
But I doubt they are sending out resumes.

game-plan - how does that help, when it may be completely different to what the new Coach wants.

Because it doesn't ingrain the bad habits now. Because it gives Wright a chance to see whether players are worth retaining.

Assistants would already be on the radar, as would prospective Coaches.

Would they? There's a reason Harvey and Sanderson have been there for donkey's years.

That is a compromised list - eg you’re not getting Yze, Mitchell or similar prospects out of their clubs mid season.

You don't have to. I would be happy enough with Carroll for now. But you contact managers and begin putting the process in place so you know where you stand. Maybe Yze is happy where he is and has no interest in a senior position.

Club being ruthless - how’s that ruthlessness during trade period benefited the fabric of the club this season.

That wasn't ruthlessness - it was stupidity.

Ruthlessness would have been telling Grundy it's four years or nothing.

Ruthlessness would have been telling DeGoey here's $400,000 - earn the rest or look elsewhere.

Ruthlessness would have been not extending Pendlebury's contract again. That $750,000 would have easily kept Treloar (and Stephenson).

Can't believe every media person (bar Mathew Lloyd) are saying Buckley's a good coach, should be signed up, decision is his to go on etc. I know the AFL is a big matey industry just does my head in how they are so supportive of this bloke. The only thing he is ranked number 1 in the AFL is his continued bullshit jargon i.e offence, defence, outliers, dna, list profile, systems based, our brand blah blah blah. Time to go pay out his 800K+ and start the search. Dont have to go for a big name (Clarkson wasn't when he started) just someone that will let the players play to their abilities without stifling them. I personally think Buckley wouldn't take on any advice from new assistants hence why yes boys and mates are his 2IC & 3IC so no point in giving him another go with new people around him ( Hocking , Longmuir and Boyd no longer there).

Dont know if true but a caller today to 3AW saying a source close to the club stating a player who hasn't been picked for 3 or so weeks has not had the coach say one word to him in that period. Thinking Sier but if true just shows what a toxic enviroment the place is.

If they have their resume on GW’s desk then that’s great and I’d be wrong.
But I doubt they are sending out resumes.

Ha?

When these coaches signed at Richmond Fremantle and Hawthorn they had 'no' experience as afl senior coaches.. they no doubt went through a rigorous interview process though..

No resume on GW desk today is better than Buckley’s - it’s the simple truth of the last 3 years, which has been his best 3 consecutive years in his tenure.

Paul Roos' is.

Brad Scott's is - hasn't coached to a grand final, but did more with less.

Jarrad Schofield's is - he has actually played in a premiership, and coached his own team to two.

And Graham Wright is going to have a lot less faith in a team that could only manage a single score for three quarters to finish sixth than what you do.

Umm Jmac, you do realize it's the coaches job to motivate playing group right? It's not just tactics and game style, it's mentoring the group of players and instilling confidence - that is a big big part of successful coaching.

Motivation is not solely the responsibility of the player / individuals, if that were the case coaches would only be used for tactics and game planning and nothing else.
They shouldn’t need someone to remind them about effort.

And? A new coach isn’t going to turn things around this year, but there is zero point giving anew contract to a coach responsible for the demise. its also stupid to wait until the year is over to look for a new coach, if you want the best you have to get in first.

If the club isn’t already sounding out options then they are being negligent
And I don’t want to win the spoon.

Umm Jmac, you do realize it's the coaches job to motivate playing group right? It's not just tactics and game style, it's mentoring the group of players and instilling confidence - that is a big big part of successful coaching.

Motivation is not solely the responsibility of the player / individuals, if that were the case coaches would only be used for tactics and game planning and nothing else.
I reckon it's about time the head coach's role was solely tactics. We should have a separate mentor/motivator. This way you don't lose both roles if one fails.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Roos' is.

Brad Scott's is - hasn't coached to a grand final, but did more with less.

Jarrad Schofield's is - he has actually played in a premiership, and coached his own team to two.

And Graham Wright is going to have a lot less faith in a team that could only manage a single score for three quarters to finish sixth than what you do.

the world knows Roos is a not interested.
Scott is not better
And Scofield is also a no interns of his resume.
So my point stands.

I think they stopped that because of the disruption it causes sides that are in the Finals that lose an assistant.
So, that doesn't stop Mick McGuane or Garry Ayres becoming stand in coaches (pending their own commitments).
What happens if bucks quits and Harvey & Sanderson, and others don't want the job? Does that mean we must promote the netball coach?

If a change was to happen, I've no doubt we wouldn't be left with no options other than Harvey.

For the moment, bucks has the job. He's in this position because of a range of issues, not all relating to his coaching ability.
While change is necessary, I'd be happy if the club announced all senior coaching positions will be vacant come September pending review of all positions, which might create some urgency in the club.

Ralph has just repeated his discussion with GW on Fox. Wright believes win/losses is irrelevant/ not important. Bucks is a great coach who has the buy-in of the playing group. Believes a 2 year extension is warranted however will wait until later in the season as per the agreed timeframe

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why don't the supporters ever get a say in the direction of the club? . It hasn't worked out the club is stale and in a horrible state right now yet we're still ment to put our money into this boys club that is afraid of change. Won't be getting my money if he's kept on and I don't think I'll be the only one.

Ralph has just repeated his discussion with GW on Fox. Wright believes win/losses is irrelevant/ not important. Bucks is a great coach who has the buy-in of the playing group. Believes a 2 year extension is warranted however will wait until later in the season as per the agreed timeframe

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It would be awesome to have this thread continue for another two years. Reckon I’d get the 100k posts!

Can't believe every media person (bar Mathew Lloyd) are saying Buckley's a good coach, should be signed up, decision is his to go on etc. I know the AFL is a big matey industry just does my head in how they are so supportive of this bloke. The only thing he is ranked number 1 in the AFL is his continued bullshit jargon i.e offence, defence, outliers, dna, list profile, systems based, our brand blah blah blah. Time to go pay out his 800K+ and start the search. Dont have to go for a big name (Clarkson wasn't when he started) just someone that will let the players play to their abilities without stifling them. I personally think Buckley wouldn't take on any advice from new assistants hence why yes boys and mates are his 2IC & 3IC so no point in giving him another go with new people around him ( Hocking , Longmuir and Boyd no longer there).

Dont know if true but a caller today to 3AW saying a source close to the club stating a player who hasn't been picked for 3 or so weeks has not had the coach say one word to him in that period. Thinking Sier but if true just shows what a toxic enviroment the place is.
It’s infuriating. Thankfully Rohan Connolly agrees with us.

Why don't the supporters ever get a say in the direction of the club? . It hasn't worked out the club is stale and in a horrible state right now yet we're still ment to put our money into this boys club that is afraid of change. Won't be getting my money if he's kept on and I don't think I'll be the only one.
Can you name an AFL club where supporters get a say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back