Autopsy Round 7, 2021: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *CROUCH 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

At the game I thought Battle was ok, did a lot of the heavy work bringing ball to ground when forward and when on the wing he worked back hard to help out defensively. Not every is about possession's wouldn't be surprised if Ratts was happy with his team game
Seemed like this on TV

I know emotions run high in the gameday thread, but those calling for Butler and Doogs to be dropped were pretty funny.

Butler had a 5 minute patch he would like to take back in the third, but apart from that I don't see what he or Doogs did that was so wrong.
Both very good

C2H7fZA.png
I’m in stitches, great job, that is absolutely brillliant!

I'd drop byrnes for dmac. I think we need dmacs defensive side and bigger body in the side on the wing.

Hes one who's been really trying during those losses where we didn't really have enough effort.

I also think dmac really needs to have his confidence built up a bit so having the coach back him like hill and Jones got to get, might benefit him.

No knock on Byrnes but I think Dmac gives us better balance in an area we are not too flash in.

Put hill back on the wing with Clark. Chuck Dmac on the other back flank with Sinclair.

I think that gives us better balance as a side and gives us better defencive capability in an area we are struggling in.

Byrnes goes back to the VFL on the wing and really pushes those in the side for a spot

The other option is to keep Byrnes in but drop battle for dmac, but use him as the injury sub incase one of the talls go down...
I wouldn't think so!!!!!

I know emotions run high in the gameday thread, but those calling for Butler and Doogs to be dropped were pretty funny.

Butler had a 5 minute patch he would like to take back in the third, but apart from that I don't see what he or Doogs did that was so wrong.
I didn’t read any of the game day thread but I thought Howard let himself down a few times with the defensive aspects to his game. He is offensively minded & can sometimes get exposed. Ideally we get a big lockdown defender to play on the oppo deep forward & he plays more of a third tall/intercept type. Grimes & Rance were at their best when used that same way.

As far as the year goes, I think Butler has been pretty close deserving to be dropped… but I can't understand the Howard stuff, bloke has been playing as the sole key defender in a side getting pummeled most weeks. Had 15 spoils last night and 15 possies @93% DE.

He'd have to be in the frame for AA key defenders currently.

As far as the year goes, I think Butler has been pretty close deserving to be dropped… but I can't understand the Howard stuff, bloke has been playing as the sole key defender in a side getting pummeled most weeks. Had 15 spoils last night and 15 possies @93% DE.

He'd have to be in the frame for AA key defenders currently.
Howard must be exhausted been doing it by himself all year, Needs a another big to help out

Doogs seems to struggle with closely checking his opponent. He's great reading the playing but gets caught out when his opponent has a straight lead at the footy.

Some of this might he due to our zone and trying to use him to intercept.

Edit: csnt drop him though. He's out best tall defender

Byrnes was Lonie's replacement, and it seemed a better balance with him further up the ground and Higgins and Butler closer to home. I think we should stick to this structure.

If DMac comes back in its Webster's spot he need to take, which I don't think he does right now.

I didn’t read any of the game day thread but I thought Howard let himself down a few times with the defensive aspects to his game. He is offensively minded & can sometimes get exposed. Ideally we get a big lockdown defender to play on the oppo deep forward & he plays more of a third tall/intercept type. Grimes & Rance were at their best when used that same way.
This

Same deal with McGovern needing barras to play the lockdown defender role.

If McGovern is forced to play as a 1 on 1 defender he tends to get beaten.

But if hes left to intercept he just mops it up time and time again.

Byrnes was Lonie's replacement, and it seemed a better balance with him further up the ground and Higgins and Butler closer to home. I think we should stick to this structure.

If DMac comes back in its Webster's spot he need to take, which I don't think he does right now.
I’ve been saying it all year that our team is unbalanced with so many smalls. Byrnes playing Lonies role gives us an extra midfielder (plays higher up the ground than Lonie) & opens up our forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This

Same deal with McGovern needing barras to play the lockdown defender role.

If McGovern is forced to play as a 1 on 1 defender he tends to get beaten.

But if hes left to intercept he just mops it up time and time again.
Yup. Howard looks great floating across packs marking but not as good stationary one vs one.

We don’t have much of an option right now but if we can get a big defender to play on the monsters & have Howard playing the McGovern role we will be a better team for it.

I’ve been saying it all year that our team is unbalanced with so many smalls. Byrnes playing Lonies role gives us an extra midfielder (plays higher up the ground than Lonie) & opens up our forward line.
So much better yesterday

Yeah but I’m an unabashed Lonie supporter mate, I was surprised at how reserved I was to be honest...

I think Dougal is pretty good one on one and loves the defensive stuff. I don't think it's that he is too attacking (although I do think he'd be very good as the second KPD). He has lapses in concentration that hurt him I think. He had two kicked on him yesterday where he got caught out ball watching (one from Kozi and one from Lewis). There wasn't much he could do for Kozi's other one.

Overall though, he is having an outstanding year. The ball has been coming into our defensive 50 without much pressure on it. He's first in the comp for spoils, and fifth in the comp for intercept marks. I'd have him in the mix for the AA squad but he's not as big a name as some of others which will hold him back.

On the contrary I quite liked his game, I thought he played the kosi role of splitting packs and bringing the smalls into play quite well.

40 supercoach points off only 8 touches and 1 mark tells me his touches were mostly contested and effective?

Only 71% time on ground too.

Having him, membery, king and marshall to contend with will be a nightmare for many good sides if our mids are trying to actually pass it to them on a lead.

If they dont mark it, butts, higgins and/or lonie will be brought into the play- creating further headaches.
Yeah watching the highlights package Battle did crash a lot of packs and help bring the ball to ground which led to goals in the first quarter in particular, so that was good. Didn’t see him much after that though.

He’s definitely handy- especially if there’s a Haynes type for him to shut down- but definitely not having as much impact on games as we probably thought he would be by now.

Hard to gauge though given the opponent, we looked a million bucks against west coast too with 3 smalls… kicked 100 points.
Ryder rucking and Marshall forward probably the most crucial difference for us yesterday IMO.
It gave us options
Byrnes - Clark - Steele - Crouch - Battle all rotated through there at some time

those 4 were in our bottom handful for pressure last night

Probably because we kept marking the ball inside 50 and kicking goals.

They didn't get a chance to put much pressure on... because they or a teammate had the ball in their hands up forward all night.

We went into the game averaging 10 marks inside 50 for the year and took 18 last night.

Of course 30 scoring shots is massively above the yearly average too.

Byrnes looks well worth pumping games into

Can't wait to see him comfortable out there with some games under the belt

Little tidy tough natural midfielder that keeps his feet and can zip about and find the pill, f*** yeah
Think his game yesterday is really underrated on here

He was very bloody good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back