Post - loss clarity. Do some of us get TOO emotional?

Remove this Banner Ad

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Extremely specific and awkward subject here, but I have been thinking about it, allow me to elaborate on the purpose of the subject.

Have you ever witnessed your team lose a game which in turn has caused you to be fueled with aggressive and negative emotions which make you contemplate your membership and commitment to your club? Or directed bitter hate towards a specific coach or another individual at your club? Something else similar?

I personally feel like I've noticed on almost every team board at this stage there will always be a handful of people who run their mouths of spewing after a loss, but it appears to be such a commonality that people don't take issue with it.

Am I the only one who thinks behaviour like this might be a tad bit over-exaggerated? Are we at times too emotionally immersed in this great game of ours?

I am trying my best not to use the lazy 'It's just a game' argument because it's obviously a bit of a cop-out, but maybe something else along the same lines?

And to clarify NO this thread is not intended to identify which club has the most sensitive or aggressive supporters who are prone to this type of behaviour. This is a subject which I have been thinking about for a while now and not one which has been dictated by the matches solely in this round.

It's not particularly relevant to anything super recent either, but wanted to gather some opinions.

I get shitty after a loss, it can last anywhere from 10 mins to maybe the rest of that day. After that I’m fine.

I’ve never seriously considered ditching my membership etc. And if that hasn’t happened after some of the s**t my mob has pulled over the past 20 years, it’s probably never going too!

If I didn’t get so pissy after a loss, I doubt I would enjoy the wins as much.
I hate when people try to say “it’s just a game”. It’s an emotional investment by some, channeled into a team they support.
If you can watch your team lose and not feel anything, that’s great. Just make sure you leave the Grand Final tickets for the supporters who care.

No I'm fine.
tenor.gif

Depending on how Port loose and what I expected from Port in the lead up to the game is my level of frustration in the aftermath. The Showdown loss after Phil Walsh passed away and the EF loss against WCE wrecked most of the week after each game where as Ports loss against WCE in Round 3 I was over that night and the loss against BL last night I was checked out by half time.

Maybe Im a bit older and more mature so I dont let it bother so much.

As long as the emotion is kept in context and doesn’t last into the working week, is not directed in an anti social manner at people who don’t care about the game then it is ok.

This goes for both the positive and negative emotion that the game evokes.

I personally cite the severity of people's reactions post-loss and who they take it out on. We all know its normal to feel something after our team wins or losses, but sometimes I feel (With no mention to any specific people) some supporters I see can pretty much stay up the whole night after a loss ranting about their team's performance, almost as if there isn't much else in their lives to give them happiness. Entire threads can turn into minefields for people saying the same weak criticisms. I think it's all about finding a good balance of devoting attention and passion towards the game without making it a health risk.

Age dulls the rawness. I think you gain some respect and perspective for all club opponents by your adult years. A few losses still sting, but maybe just a few a season, if that. Recent loss to the Saints, the manner of it, is the kind of egregious loss that you hate to see. 2005 GF was tragic, but was over the 2015 one by the next morning, just depends. There are always those losses where you still walk away with a smile, appreciative of the tight contest or warmly impressed by the opponent performance

But you’ll never find me ranting after a loss about the umps or opposition supporters. Pathetic caveman filth.

Depends where your club is at the time. If you're a premiership contender, you expect some losses, but every now and then a loss can hurt. If you're middle of the road, then you look for improvement week by week and each loss can be a threat to playing finals. If your team is lower rung and rebuilding, wins are a bonus, losses expected, and all you really look for is a competitive effort.

Blaming umpires for the loss is a very Big Footy thing to do, but if you really think about it, there are more important things to focus on if you are losing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with others who've said it gets easier as you get older. I'm usually pissed off for about 10 minutes after a loss before switching my focus to whatever else is going on in my life. The effect of wins on the other hand tend to last longer. Probably because I focus on the result for longer watching replays and dissecting it on bigfooty.

I've now witnessed 4 GF losses live and they're a little harder to deal with and it's difficult not to feel a little down and disappointed for a while albeit with more perspective as you grow up.

Of course people get too emotional.

You're watching a bunch of millionaires run around playing a game. It has absolutely no meaningful consequences in your life. The connection is entirely imagined - the club might know your name as long as you give them money, but the players have no clue who you are and don't care. And I'm not saying that to dump on the players, how are they meant to care?

I still love it, but you gotta keep it in perspective. It's a part of growing up and becoming an adult - not letting the results of a game determine your emotional state.

Don't pour your identity into a football club.

I looked back at some of my posts from Friday night on Saturday morning. I could have moderated them a little.
I have a Hawk supporting cousin who has had some major meltdowns after losses during their run at the top. Posting on Facebook then copping a heap of s**t for being a poor loser. I would wind him up then go to check the aftermath in the morning only to find the post deleted. The more he carried on the more he would cop from his mates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back