Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see your 1778 posts and raise you 2193. :drunk:

And since I'm at it, here's a picture of LP (this Little Pony is not fat, so he doesn't secure the LFP moniker). He hasn't met LFP, they're in different paddocks.

View attachment 1114711

A noble equine, and notable like all ponies his concentration is totally on the important process of eating.

The problem is that you're a beer connoisseur who will recommend deliciously flavoured stuff. But that's not what you want in the tropics - you want watery stuff - San Miguel Light (low carb not low alcohol), Corona, Bintang, etc.. - the type of flavourless beer that any self respecting beery would snub their nose at and that you can have with ice if it isn't quite cold enough.
The resident horse is rattling on to our Mediterranean bred culinary expert about fine wines while we find contentment in a flavourless beer sacrilegiously served on ice. I recall 30+ years back drinking 17 stubbies of San Miguel one night in Manila and dragging some chairs together to form a bed of sorts across the entrance to the bar. I forthwith got rolled and robbed. San Miguel was not a strong beer, but in the heat you could drink enough of them to get you very pissed. But SEA beers in an outdoor setting, spread over a nightly 3-4 hour session, allow for lively conversation and enjoyable camaraderie with a pain free start to the next day.

The resident horse is rattling on to our Mediterranean bred culinary expert about fine wines while we find contentment in a flavourless beer sacrilegiously served on ice. I recall 30+ years back drinking 17 stubbies of San Miguel one night in Manila and dragging some chairs together to form a bed of sorts across the entrance to the bar. I forthwith got rolled and robbed. San Miguel was not a strong beer, but in the heat you could drink enough of them to get you very pissed. But SEA beers in an outdoor setting, spread over a nightly 3-4 hour session, allow for lively conversation and enjoyable camaraderie with a pain free start to the next day.
In SEA, give me beer that tastes like water. And drop some iodine into my water so I don't get dysentery.

One night in Vietnam, it dawned on me that I'd suffer severely with reverse culture shock if I returned to Aust full time. I took a step back from my self and suddenly realised that I was drinking beer on ice through a straw!!!!!

Last edited:
One night in Vietnam, it dawned on me that I'd suffer severely with reverse culture shock if I returned to Aust full time. I took a step back from my self and suddenly realised that I was drinking beer on ice through a straw!!!!!
To be frank, I can never understand the earnestness and single mindedness that some men can bring to the act of drinking beer. Whisky, soda and ice is my staple here, and as the ice melts, the mix quickly becomes flavourless and almost bubble-less, reminiscent of tropical beer on ice.

I guess it's a world of horses for courses, with some of those blessed with a taste for only the finest creatures, and others content with any trusty nag that is going to at least get them over the finish line.

Ideally, one probably should have a hoof in both camps.

To be frank, I can never understand the earnestness and single mindedness that some men can bring to the act of drinking beer. Whisky, soda and ice is my staple here, and as the ice melts, the mix quickly becomes flavourless and almost bubble-less, reminiscent of tropical beer on ice.

I guess it's a world of horses for courses, with some of those blessed with a taste for only the finest creatures, and others content with any trusty nag that is going to at least get them over the finish line.

I've got a theory that it's not really about taste buds, but it's really about the type of drunkenness you prefer:

Scotch: Mentally OK, physical regression to pre-pubescent body control
Beer: Mental regression to 12 years old - physically - a touch of cerebral palsy
Bourbon: big balls - a root or a fight
Gin: Will I get emotional and cry or punch you in the head
Wine:God knows where it's going to go
Tequila: What the * did I do?

ezgif.com-gif-maker (6).gif

I've got a theory that it's not really about taste buds, but it's really about the type of drunkenness you prefer:

Scotch: Mentally OK, physical regression to pre-pubescent body control
Beer: Mental regression to 12 years old - physically - a touch of cerebral palsy
Bourbon: big balls - a root or a fight
Gin: Will I get emotional and cry or punch you in the head
Wine:God knows where it's going to go
Tequila: What the fu** did I do?

I have a literary approach to beverages.

Scotch: A kind of Ernest Hemmingway drink. Can wax lyrical on war and the human condition, the perfection of a good woman, or fight but in a dignified way. Old school masculinity with a touch of peaty goodness.
Beer: Echoes of fourteen with a slight edge of danger and teenage angst, so Hunger Games. Minor buzz, eventual buildup of yeast leading to custard parking which clears the decks for the next slab. Good root preliminary potential, often ruined by aforementioned custard parking.
Bourbon: Turns me into impenetrable, solitary grumpy mix of James Joyce a la Ulysses and Tom Waits on smack but flips to energizer bunny in the sack. incongruous.
Gin: Brett Easton Ellis - Patrick Bateman in a bottle.
Wine: Shakespeare. It giveth the desire but taketh away the performance. But if its a good single vineyard shiraz, they will give you a second chance.
Tequila: 50 Shades of Gray. Awake the next day, unsure of time, location, or name, with only residual being distinct memories of biting someone of indeterminate gender on the knee. Find self wearing nothing except a bobo the clown jockstrap, unhelpfully on your head. Realise you are in bed with parent or sibling of close friend. Roll over and go back to sleep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it going there, many cases?
Lots of cases. Everything is currently open. Another lockdown of sorts is probably coming. But they're no longer doing really proper lockdowns as the hand to mouth small cash businesses can't handle it.

Numbers aren't as high as they were late last year, but I think it's more in the general community than previously and not as confined to factories and detention centres.

On the positive, the death rate is still very low relatively.

I’m convinced we are heading back to a lockdown. If only the Feds had built a proper quarantine facility while we had this window of opportunity.

Most states will lockdown on a single community case, so I can't see any lockdown for a significant amount of down in those states. NSW is the most likely to have a propoer lockdown as they'll remain open and back themselves to handle it. Not sure how Dan will respond to the next community cases you guys get - I reckon there's a pretty big ego there and he'll want to show that he can handle it as well as NSW has so far - which would be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back