Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Because psychologists should be immune from physical addiction, apparently.

They are imbued with a bullshit esoteric requirement that makes them not allowed to have immutable weaknesses. Unless they're a neo-marxist, of course.

I'm seeing a psych for the first time next week.

Before getting started I'm going to audit him to ensure he has never had any mental issues himself :tongueclosed:

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Peterson makes deeply political statements, wrong or right. The comic was a comment on Peterson's politics.
What would you say constitutes a "deeply political statement"?

For example, he endorses free speech. Does that in your mind constitute a "deeply political statement"? It could, if we're in an environment where certain kinds of speech are becoming subject to new taboos. It's definitely a political statement of sorts but is that what you're talking about?

I think a better question is whether Peterson or his commentary is partisan.

Alternatively, is he a polemicist on any particular issue, apart from the pronoun keruffle that first brought him to prominence? I'm not sure I've ever heard him weigh in specifically on gun control or abortion or immigration or decriminalisation of drugs or whatever. These are all stock standard culture war issues in the US but I'm not sure Peterson is invested in them, not explicitly anyway.

So when you talk about him making "deeply political statements", what do you mean?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Basically you are well up for cancel culture.
Wait, I thought cancel culture isn't even a thing? That's what you were saying six months ago.

What happened to your standard refrain of asking people to repeatedly explain to you what it means? I reckon you could still flick the switch back to pretending to be oblivious and pretending that's an argument. It certainly appealed to you for a year or so previously.

But... but... but... what is "cancel culture"? Tell me again, for the 50th time, while I pretend not to know what you're talking about.

Now you're right on board, accusing others of participating in it. How the worm turns.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The poor bloke has been hijacked by morons to troll other morons, and of course it worked, simply because neither group have the requisite intellect to understand what the bloke is about in the first place.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The poor bloke has been hijacked by morons to troll other morons, and of course it worked, simply because neither group have the requisite intellect to understand what the bloke is about in the first place.
Peterson is not an intellect.

he is like Marx. An idiot who dresses up to appear like an intellect for the even more idiotic masses. But he pushes unscientific inconsistent rubbish.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

he is like Marx. An idiot who dresses up to appear like an intellect for the even more idiotic masses. But he pushes unscientific inconsistent rubbish.

You think you carry the necessary intellectual gravitas to sway my opinion?

I admire your confidence son.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
You think you carry the necessary intellectual gravitas to sway my opinion?

I admire your confidence son.
its Not aimed at you. It’s aimed at all the people who have snuck a view in this thread to see if he is worthwhile.

his book is soppy simple inconsistent rubbish just like marxs communist manifesto. It’s terribly immature.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
its Not aimed at you. It’s aimed at all the people who have snuck a view in this thread to see if he is worthwhile.

his book is soppy simple inconsistent rubbish just like marxs communist manifesto. It’s terribly immature.

Outstanding rebuttal!

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

He was an University lecturer who publishes numbers of papers.

You may disagree with his worldview and that’s completely fine.

Calling him unintellectual is a pretty dumb thing to say.

Marx was a great thinking, who I disagree with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He was an University lecturer who publishes numbers of papers.

You may disagree with his worldview and that’s completely fine.

Calling him unintellectual is a pretty dumb thing to say.

Marx was a great thinking, who I disagree with you.

Do you honestly reckon Seeds has the faintest idea about behavioral psychology?

If he had not been press ganged by the moronic "right", and the bait taken so hard by the equally moronic "left", then I doubt most people would have ever heard of him.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do you honestly reckon Seeds has the faintest idea about behavioral psychology?

If he had not been press ganged by the moronic "right", and the bait taken so hard by the equally moronic "left", then I doubt most people would have ever heard of him.
You're right.

We would never had heard of Petersen unless by the internet culture war of the far left and far right.

Petersen is a centralist which makes this thing funny.

As for Seeds, like most people they attack the person and not the ideas.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You're right.

We would never had heard of Petersen unless by the internet culture war of the far left and far right.

Petersen is a centralist which makes this thing funny.

As for Seeds, like most people they attack the person and not the ideas.

He's a soft libertarian whose life was hijacked.

He made some bucks out of it, so fair compensation for the pain.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's a soft libertarian whose life was hijacked.

He made some bucks out of it, so fair compensation for the pain.
First time I saw Petersen was on the Outsiders on Fox.

The two nut job presenters totally misunderstood or misused what Petersen was saying.

By the way, I thought that Petersen was a nut job as I really didn't follow what he was saying at the time.

Petersen has done really well out of this , and good luck to him.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Think about the movie Fight Club m8, or the book, more importantly. Men crave a masculine outlet, and it's being largely denied for decades.

Start a beer-drinking dad's club called Proud Boys, and you get cancelled - and worse!

All men and boys schooling should involve martial arts training IMO

Mar 28, 2006
POLICE STATE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ignore Andrew Schulz, who's irritating. Jordan Peterson makes some reasonable connections here.

What is the measure of greatness for a leader? JP suggests it is public 'admiration'.

LKY was hardly admired in the west from a free-speech, anti-authoritarianism perspective (JP's core values) - yet you cannot deny that he was a great leader in terms of what he delivered for what he (and Singapore generally) valued - meritocracy-based economic development (or as LKY termed it "homes, medicine, jobs, schools”).

^ sincerely,
a beta male
Lol I'm literally not. By definition. I will be soon and frankly I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway according to the biologist who actually popularised the terms a Beta male is the next Alpha male. Its the new champion in waiting. And frankly I don't expect any better from you but Snake_Baker does make a habit of banging on about how science is golden and the tabloid media are constantly misinterpreting it for fun and profit.

BTW I like that you claim to make ethical choices when you buy food. Good one.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol I'm literally not. By definition. I will be soon and frankly I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway according to the biologist who actually popularised the terms a Beta male is the next Alpha male. Its the new champion in waiting. And frankly I don't expect any better from you but Snake_Baker does make a habit of banging on about how science is golden and the tabloid media are constantly misinterpreting it for fun and profit.

BTW I like that you claim to make ethical choices when you buy food. Good one.
Women sub consciously seek alphas. The only thing betas are good at is terrorist attack. See: Elliott Rodger and Alek Minassian.

I apologise for the wedgies etc you received from my jock associates and I. Being a Chad ain't easy either though.

Women sub consciously seek alphas. The only thing betas are good at is terrorist attack. See: Elliott Rodger and Alek Minassian.

I apologise for the wedgies etc you received from my jock associates and I. Being a Chad ain't easy either though.
Its not your job to educate yourself right.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
What is the measure of greatness for a leader? JP suggests it is public 'admiration'.

I don't think he did. He suggested it's one way of differentiating between someone who is great and someone who is powerful. They didn't really get into the details. But clearly there's an overlap - some powerful people are admired. Whether they are considered great might be a consequence of history.

Here's Peterson on how Hitler became both powerful and admired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back