Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
after watching the hawks tonight, i think if Matthew Johnson (Subiaco - debuts in the wafl this weekend) continues having a good season we might need to draft him, tall mid who is good at centre bounces and very talented.
Why is he debuting this weekend - where's he been playing before today? Is he a Colts player being upgraded?

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
after watching the hawks tonight, i think if Matthew Johnson (Subiaco - debuts in the wafl this weekend) continues having a good season we might need to draft him, tall mid who is good at centre bounces and very talented.
Speed or class or more of a brute? We just desperately need midfielders who are damaging

And has more scope for development etc.?
Edwards is really raw. A bit more of a project player who could be a big thing in a few years.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
What are his strengths?Speed?Kicking?Marking?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

he(Matthew Johnson - Subiaco) is a point of difference to what we have already, he is a tall mid at 191cm, he is good in the air and clean with disposal, he has a reputation of being one of the best players in most of the teams he plays in and has a solid performance history, seeing as we lack size in the midfield, he could fix that issue, playing the Jordan Lewis role in affect

another option is Matthew Roberts, another quality inside mid from the sanfl, he is more your prototype inside mid like Powell last season

unfortunately Daicos is already aligned to another club, he is the undersized mid that just wins a ton of the ball and is a great goal kicking mid

Campbell Chesser is another inside mid option who i have liked from the small sample i have seen, he is a bit more inside/outside, can add a bit of run to his game as well as good disposal

Jason Horne wont last to our pick, he is likely going to North Melbourne, i think he is Half Luke Hodge, Half Cam Guthrie if that makes sense? on the Hodge side he loves Physicality and doesnt stat chase, on the Cam Guthrie side he is quick and has a bit of loose disposal that he could tighten up, its hard to explain.

then you have the 2 outside wingers in Josh Sinn and Finn Callaghan if you want speed and run on the outside with very limited contested game or inside game, Josh Sinn is the better of these 2 options and looks a lot like Isaac Smith in the way he attacks and breaks the lines, kicking slightly less accurate than Smiths.

Tyler Sonsie, the more i see of him in the mid the less im liking him as a high pick, i know he has some good u16 performances and i thought he was good as a HFF in 2019 for eastern, im hoping to see better performances from him than what he has produced so far this season in midfield.

there are other options like Josh Goater, Joshua Browne, Ned Long, Sam Banks, Neil Erasmus as well.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm keen on anyone with a mix of genuine football abilities and high end athleticism. Prefer an inside/outside mid with some polish. But think we just need a talent injection everywhere, bar maybe the halfback line. So I will be just happy for us to take 3x top 25 picks to the draft tbh

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
One for sure and two if we put Sicily on the long term injury list.

The way we are playing and our list I wonder if we will to get another kid in to have a look at him.

“The definition of insanity is playing some players over and over again, but expecting different results and performances.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back