Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Only Taranto would I trade a Future 1st for, and all our other picks too lol - one of my favourite players and an absolute gun.

To your other point, anyone rational - even the Tigers - knew that trading with us for a Future 1st was never going to net a Top 10 pick, given the talent we brought in and how close we were last year. Different for Collingwood though, as they barely scraped into finals, had a miracle win over WC, and then traded away Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips - whilst still somehow expecting to make finals after they got completely destroyed by us.

There's a reason they're begging for Wells and we're not begging for Ned Guy, haha

Id say if we project P15 plus then Hopper for our R1 is probably reasonable. Coming into his prime and has still 100 plus games to come but the codicil is who we can pick for zero as a FA and how the draft looks..

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I was just trying to find a comparative player on our list. Pick 21 I think we got for Christenson not many people were happy with that. He looked like he’d be a star at the point. Obviously he had a lot of injury but he didn’t continue his rise. We lost Prismall for pick 32 but I can’t think of many younger players to compare to that we’ve lost.
We don’t really have someone of Hopper’s ability and age which is part of the point.

Caddy would have been a similar age and experience when he was traded.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Narkle will be back in WA next year anyway
I don't mind that, we can bundle a pick with him for Sean Darcy. Or even Darcy Tucker. I think Tucker could be a good outside player, and he kicks better than Clark!!
Be interesting to see if we have a look at Jacob Hopper.. we were linked to him previously before he resigned last time
Hopper seems a type that could play the Joel Selwood role, though probably not as good ofc. I think Hopper would compliment Parfitt and Guthrie in the midfield, it would be a balanced one. Though, I don't think Hopper is a line-breaker, more a grunt type.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't mind that, we can bundle a pick with him for Sean Darcy. Or even Darcy Tucker. I think Tucker could be a good outside player, and he kicks better than Clark!!

Hopper seems a type that could play the Joel Selwood role, though probably not as good ofc. I think Hopper would compliment Parfitt and Guthrie in the midfield, it would be a balanced one. Though, I don't think Hopper is a line-breaker, more a grunt type.
Send Constable with a pick to GWS for Hopper.
Send Narkle with a pick to Freo for S Darcy.
Then you have some hard nuts in the team.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I've been a massive fan of Jordan Clark since we signed him. Though I reckon he needs to go back and play as a HBF.

If the HBF doesn't work out, and I must admit, I reckon his kicking could be suspect unless it's on the run and he is kicking through with the ball. If his kicking becomes an issue, and it cannot be corrected, I would consider a trade at the right price. He might have a high street value on the trade market I reckon. Though I would stick with him a bit longer in the seniors, and assess later before such decisions.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I've been a massive fan of Jordan Clark since we signed him. Though I reckon he needs to go back and play as a HBF.

If the HBF doesn't work out, and I must admit, I reckon his kicking could be suspect unless it's on the run and he is kicking through with the ball. If his kicking becomes an issue, and it cannot be corrected, I would consider a trade at the right price. He might have a high street value on the trade market I reckon. Though I would stick with him a bit longer in the seniors, and assess later before such decisions.

The weird thing is when he first came in to the time he seemed like a great kick. A bit like Jackson Thurlow actually. The first few games Thurlow played he hit a number of spearing bullet passes to set up goals and his kicking had a penetration to it that had everyone thinking he'd be the next Andrew Mackie. But then after more exposure at AFL level it turned out his kicking wasn't as good as it seemed at first.

I do like the power Clark has in his boot but I agree there are some concerns as far as his footskills are concerned.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
The weird thing is when he first came in to the time he seemed like a great kick. A bit like Jackson Thurlow actually. The first few games Thurlow played he hit a number of spearing bullet passes to set up goals and his kicking had a penetration to it that had everyone thinking he'd be the next Andrew Mackie. But then after more exposure at AFL level it turned out his kicking wasn't as good as it seemed at first.

I do like the power Clark has in his boot but I agree there are some concerns as far as his footskills are concerned.
The ball drop is bad on Clark, it has way too much room for it to hit the side of his boot. It is less an issue when he is running at full tilt, because when he is in motion his kicking seems to correct better, and I'm not sure why.
I know people complained about the ball drop of Menegola on here a bit, but I think his ball drop is very good, and it makes for a lot of weight on his kicks/passes. Not saying Menegola is a dead-eye with his kicking all the time, but I would prefer his ball drop over a Clark ball drop on kicking.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I see it slightly different , anything can happen in a season ..especially one when we are coming of a short season. I know we are not Melb but their 2018 to 2019 was dramatic

I agree the Tiger would have assessed us P16 to P20 or so ... with the outside chance of better. Maybe the Pies should have waited but they wanted to add a heap of kids to distract from the players losses. If the GWS get to use their R1 before NickD is called then someone should be given the Braveheart treatment.
Excuse the intrusion i was reading away quietly and thought i might add a Richmond supporters perspective regarding why and expectation of the trade

Richmond had a few players on the list but only 1 remaining that we would have selected rather than trading that pick out and that was Fin McRae
Once he was selected by the pies we were happy to trade out the pick which was agreed upon with the cats if Fin was no longer available.
Cats also requested a 2nd rounder but Richmond quickly refused that as part of the deal.

As a Richmond supporter our thinking was that we are giving up a pick #20 in a compromised draft with little footy played in Victoria for a pick between #15-#20 in a deeper draft with more KPP available at that range and if things went our way and the cats had a bead year that pick may improve to #10 - #15 range (if we are lucky ;) ). But our list demographic was that we had nobody we wanted to delist as we had already delisted 2 players we didn't see a lot off and 20 players drafted in the last 4 years that are yet to get opportunities.

Good luck next week guys hope its a cracking game like the GF ;)

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Its not unusual , it seems to happen a bit. I wonder if at lower levels they still practice kicking. I wonder how many set shots Clark practices. He looked like a surgeon that did not know which side of the scalpel to use.

The ball drop is bad on Clark, it has way too much room for it to hit the side of his boot. It is less an issue when he is running at full tilt, because when he is in motion his kicking seems to correct better, and I'm not sure why.
I know people complained about the ball drop of Menegola on here a bit, but I think his ball drop is very good, and it makes for a lot of weight on his kicks/passes. Not saying Menegola is a dead-eye with his kicking all the time, but I would prefer his ball drop over a Clark ball drop on kicking.

Has the ball drop or could it have been impacted by his elbow & shoulder issues?

Not sure if those issues have changed the way he carries himself or uses his arm, because could they flow on to impacting his ball drop if he's changed the mechanics of how he moves or uses his arms after those incidents?

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
I do think we need to look at another small forward pocket in the draft..
We really don't have many besides Dahlhaus, Evans, Close... need to look to the future

I do think we need to look at another small forward pocket in the draft..
We really don't have many besides Dahlhaus, Evans, Close... need to look to the future
Miers?

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Has the ball drop or could it have been impacted by his elbow & shoulder issues?

Not sure if those issues have changed the way he carries himself or uses his arm, because could they flow on to impacting his ball drop if he's changed the mechanics of how he moves or uses his arms after those incidents?
Hmm, no I don't think it is that. I did notice it before his injuries but didn't think it was that bad at the time and that it would improve, until I've watched him more and more, it seems it hasn't changed and that its not that good with set kicking, rather than on the run.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Jacob hopper GWS would want 2 first rounders minimum

if they are projected outside 10-15

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Strong Ruck first for now, Swans had three last night with Naismith to come
Class mid for near future with Selwood aging and allowing Danger forward
class small forward to compliment Miers
tall defender as I think dekonning will go the way of his brother

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Strong Ruck first for now, Swans had three last night with Naismith to come
Class mid for near future with Selwood aging and allowing Danger forward
class small forward to compliment Miers
tall defender as I think dekonning will go the way of his brother
We do have Neale who is a ruck.... but that's if they start playing him in the ruck in the VFL :seenoevil:

25 hit outs (more than Naitanui) and 15 possessions for Sean Darcy today.

I’m not a big fan of his but if we want a ready made ruck he’s probably best available, right?
He's putting together a solid season for sure, but I get a bit nervous about trading for rucks with an injury history if the price is going to be high

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
25 hit outs (more than Naitanui) and 15 possessions for Sean Darcy today.

I’m not a big fan of his but if we want a ready made ruck he’s probably best available, right?

He style is not my favourite but would it be fair to say its rare that his direct opponent to dominate?

Anyway ..best available? He is still contracted. He will cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back