chooke

All Australian
Sep 6, 2004
perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Can’t imagine there was much chat about west coast in the 1930s.

But since you ask. Yep. Even bigger than the weagles or tiggers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well that is news to me, not that i've ever looked into it. Do WC and Tigers still have larger memberships?

chooke

All Australian
Sep 6, 2004
perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
As a Collingwood supporter, I have no issue with Port wearing the prison bar guernsey for home games.

Logically, the 'brand' argument doesn't stack up when you compare sporting clubs and competitions internationally. If the strength and value of Collingwood's brand is dependant upon what other clubs wear in their home games, then it isn't a very strong brand to begin with. Also, the prison bar guernsey and Collingwood's guernsey are fundamentally different designs. Obviously, you would avoid a clash situation - but they are hardly one-to-one facsimiles of each other.

Many of the other arguments against Port wearing their prison bar guernsey for home games are nothing more than thinly-veiled parochial "bend the knee" power trips based on historical factors. The persuasiveness of these arguments fade with time as there are now generations of Port supporters (and Collingwood supporters) who cannot readily conceive of a time before Port was part of the national competition.

That said, I don't know why Port would abandon teal on their home guernsey entirely as it is probably in the top 5 colours.
They aren't planning to get rid of the teal or their regular jumpers, they only want to wear the black and white PBs at showdowns.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
In what planet can a team join a league and copy the identity of an existing club?

What's next, the Tassie team wanting to be the Tigers and wear black and yellow?

Ludicrous.

images (33).jpeg

This is two teams who go by the same nickname* with the same colours in the same football league

(The VFL)

*we don't want to be called the Magpies

Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well there is. The Crows lifesaver colours represent (supposedly) the colours of the composite SANFL teams minus the ports black and white. Ports heritage in the showdowns do mean something. Port very reasonably wants to wear the PBs in showdowns while others here, without any credible evidence, are claiming it is some sort of an ilicit strategic plot to wear the PBs in all matches. Some here are claiming Port want to use the magpie moniker in AFL matches even though Port has retired that moniker from its SANFL side. I mean FFS.

Crows jumper colours are the official state colours of SA. The Showdown heritage goes back only to 1997, no further than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL just let Port wear their prison bars jumper as I'm already sick of their whinging everywhere I go.... all Port supporters want to do is go on about it like a broken record.... & I'm ******* over it!

What's the big deal?

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
If Fremantle was a success we wouldve gotten generic Adelaide 2

After two seasons in the comp? I doubt it. How successful were people expecting Freo to be? The WAFL wasn't strong in the 90s, WC were a powerhouse and the draft was a complete lottery that clubs didn't take seriously.

Freo won 8 and 7 games their first two years, Port 10 and 9. Not worlds apart.

Anyway Port were trying to join the VFL before Adelaide even existed. If there was a push for Adelaide 2.0 it would've been coming from SANFL HQ.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
If Fremantle was a success we wouldve gotten generic Adelaide 2

Fremantle had been around for 5 seconds prior to us being awarded the licence. How could they possibly have been judged a success or failure in 1996?

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fremantle had been around for 5 seconds prior to us being awarded the licence. How could they possibly have been judged a success or failure in 1996?

We won the second licence in December 1994, so Freo had just completed their first season at the point.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyway Port were trying to join the VFL before Adelaide even existed. If there was a push for Adelaide 2.0 it would've been coming from SANFL HQ.
There was a Norwood/Sturt bid & a cartel of minnows bid that the SANFL would've preferred but the AFL wasn't that stupid.

Collingwood didn't allow us to wear our traditional blue and white stripes we had worn since before Collingwood existed when we entered the VFL, it is why we started in the VFL wearing the blue with the white V which would become the Victorian state of origin jumper and they would also sing our song, which was nice...

But, eventually the VFL gave Collingwood the bird and said we could play in our traditional jumpers. The AFL could do the same thing, just require a proper clash strip for the away team. AFL holds the rights for the jumpers, the colours, etc. These rights were handed over by the clubs to prevent a super-league from forming with existing club using the same colours and designs.

That being said, I don't think the jumpers/colours mean as much as they once did. I am a Liverpool fan and their traditional red jumper is the one I like best but they play in 200 different jumpers of different colours and they make a fortune selling those different jumpers.

Even though I like our blue and white, my favourite one is the royal blue jumper with the white kangaroo icon on it and I have been collecting the nicer indigenous jumpers.

I think there are just a lot of egos involved in the current drama.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
That being said, I don't think the jumpers/colours mean as much as they once did. I am a Liverpool fan and their traditional red jumper is the one I like best but they play in 200 different jumpers of different colours and they make a fortune selling those different jumpers.

Soccer is a different beast. You try to change the Liverpool club badge and watch the reaction you get.

The owners of Cardiff City decided they would wear red instead of royal blue and fans lost their s**t. 3 years later, back in red. Manchesters City and United both removed 'Football Club' from their club badges, and predictably fans lost their s**t.

But fans are happy with slightly different home shirts each year (even with shade variations in colours) and all manner of away shirts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back