Preview Sydney Swans vs Melbourne Demons, Saturday May 8 @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry played back and was a bit down in the first half.
Cunningham tagged Duncan after HT, so he essentially played between the arcs.
Duncan was arguably Geelong's most important player in the 1st half and leading disposal getter on the field.
Duncan still got a bit of the ball, but everything he did was under pressure, unlike 1H when he roamed free.
Last qtr Duncan 3 possessions, Cunningham handy kick late.

Happy with Harry.

If he is playing as a stopper and doing a good job then great and he does do that at times no argument but his h/balls to nowhere and kicks straight to the opposition are costly.

Hopefully Dawson has a game reminiscent of his last outing at the MCG. I still think his kicking is a bit of a myth, but he was nailing them against Richmond.
I wonder if he's carrying an injury (groin?).

There was an occasion last night when he was just inside the F50 and instead of kicking at goal lobbed the ball to a contest.
At his best I reckon he would have had the confidence and the distance to kick the goal.

He just didn't seem to have the same 'zing' on his kicks last night.

It shows that we can take it up with the best... beat the Dees and sky is the limit for this team.

Next step is knowing how to turn up every week even against the bottom 4 sides. Dont expect us to be the 2008 Cats but at least make a game of it and be competitive every week. Thinking back I reckon they thought all they had to do was turn up against Gold Coast who were coming off a belting. Wasnt the case. Now they know.

I'm so excited for this game. I think we're in for a real crack at this. Draw opens up a bit after that with Collingwood, freo, Carlton, St kilda and hawthorn before the bye. Realistically if we can go into the bye being 9-3 or 8-4 that will set us up nicely. Tricky month (port,west coast,dogs,gws) after the bye so need to bank the wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in the first 2 months we have played

Brisbane - Away
Adelaide - Home
Richmond - Away
Essendon - Home
GWS - Home
GCS - Away
Geelong - Home
Melbourne - Away

Pretty tough start for a team that won 5 games last season?
Was a reasonable draw I feel.

As a Dees fan, I'm looking forward to this game less than I was before we played North. As you have commented - we might be due for a loss (I hope not).

We had a bit of a shocker today but surprisingly they also seemed to expose us more than any other side has so far this season. On the one hand, we had some injuries that caused structural problems and won at a ground we always lose at while having an off day. On the other we struggled against the bottom side (who have a percentage of less than 50) who have a collection of their starting players out and a team full of a bunch of kids finding their way.

Sydney have a great MCG record (particularly against us) whereas we've had a terrible record at the MCG (prior to this year) while Goody has been coaching us. When Roos coached us we were good there but poor everywhere else!

The ruck duel will be interesting. Gawn has been dominant this year (prior to today) but hasn't had to play too many experienced recognised rucks so far this year. He has beaten Hickey in recent times but when they were both flying when Hickey was at the Saints (maybe 2017/2018) Hickey had a couple of games where he caused a lot of problems for Gawn. And it looks like he has found that sort of form again. That duel (along with Marshall / Jackson) will be pivotal.

Injuries to Viney and Tomlinson hurt us today. Viney tends to be our defensive midfielder at the stoppages and the one Goody give run with roles for opposition centre square players that are getting off the chain. The alternatives in Baker / Brayshaw / Jones are not up to doing this. I'd expect Harmes to be brought in if they think this might be needed against the Swans (I think it is - for Florent / Kennedy / Parker).

Tomlinson's injury hurts as he has barely lost a one-on-one this season and allows May and Lever to defend aggressively. We plugged the hole in the second half with Tom McDonald who did surprisingly well - but my sense is he was moved from the backline previously because he would make poor decisions with ball in hand which costs you in defence. I would expect Petty to come in to play the Tomlinson role - he's been solid with limited opportunities but will need to build continuity with May and Lever. I'm interested in seeing how we approach the matchups to your forward line - you have a lot of players that are capable of kicking goals quickly and seem to be as good as anyone at finding targets inside f50. The fact that you have a number of dangerous forwards who are not key position players worries me because our defence is generally pretty attacking - and you showed Richmond what happens if a team is not accountable.

Up forward, I think we'll give Brown some time to find his feet even if Weideman keeps kicking bags in the VFL. It's important we don't go too top heavy as it was noticeable having an extra tall affected our forward pressure. Fritsch is a good chance to miss due to his high fend off - that will hurt as he's been our most consistent forward this year and kicked 6 today. If that happens I'd hope we'd go for another small forward to help Kozzie and Spargo with the pressure up forward - maybe Chandler or Bedford.

As with most games, I think the midfield battle (and ruck battle will be critical). If our pressure is up (like it was against the Tigers) then we will be tough to beat. But if it's like our first half today, we will get walloped! I imagine you would think the same - i.e. your best will be tough for us to beat.

Anyway, should be a cracking game. I've got a wager on the Swans to make the top 4 so I'm pretty happy to see you keep winning (just not this week!).

Hmm you think so? looks tough for a team that finished so low.

Maybe im misreading it.
It's the double up games that are supposed to be advantaged by finishing low on the ladder.
We double up against GWS, Gold Coast, Ess, Freo & St KiIda.
Mind you great in theory, but North obviously the cellar dwellers this year and Geelong & Bulldogs double up against them. :rolleyes:
We only play North once, but not until the second last game of the year.

They are shithouse but we will spud it up in that particular fixture. I can't change the future, I only see it. Sorry.
The 2020 Swans Freo match at Optus was pure hell on earth.

It was akin to root canal therapy without anaesthetic.

Actually, it was worse than that.

It was like being forced to listen to Meghan Markle moralise for two long hours.

I’ll enjoy the next few rounds, because I know what’s coming beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back