AFL Autopsy Rnd 7: Done by the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

So happy with our kids.

Carlton were playing for their season, last time we’ll lose to them for a couple years I reckon.

They’re pretty bog average. McKay is a total gun, as are Walsh and Weitering. But I’m not sure even the most nuffy Carlton supporter would think this group is going to take them to a flag. They’ve got a lot of average players who aren’t getting any better. At very best I’d have them 7th or 8th.

Guess the point still stands we have nobody to stand a McKay type and every big club has a McKay type, it'll be our undoing until we find the gorilla keeper

McKay took Harris Andrews apart.

I'm not sure anyone can really stand him.

He's the best forward in the game. He could end the year the best player in the game.

Couldnt get near the ball in the first half and was essentially the difference with 4.2.

He's the best forward in the game. He could end the year the best player in the game.

Couldnt get near the ball in the first half and was essentially the difference.
Yep and he really only got going when we dropped off the pressure and allowed some easy ball into their forward 50. Not a bad game from Stewart first up for 8 weeks.

Guess the point still stands we have nobody to stand a McKay type and every big club has a McKay type, it'll be our undoing until we find the gorilla keeper
As I said above Stewart was very good until we allowed the some easy inside 50 due to our turnovers in the second half.

It is what it is. People can come on here and jump up and down about the few mistakes some senior players made but at the end of the day when you play the kids you will get mistakes from them as well which is expected.
Cox has been great so far but he can get caught out on his wing on a quick transfer when he gets a little fatigued. It is going to happen while he finds his way and gets another pre season under his belt.
Archie is getting better every game but he also has times where he gets lost in the pace of the opposition attack and really he should have nailed two of his shots at goal.
Bryan was where I expected him. Showed some of what he can do but was not strong enough yet and like the others there where times he was a fraction off the pace.
All of this is to be expected. They are young and learning and played very little footy last year.
Harry was much better this week. He is going to be a fine player.
In the end this game showed why we need Shiel and Caldwell. We where really once class midfielder short. Thought Merrett worked hard despite his tag and Parish can not play two positions :p He is mortal and they needed some extra help.
It was a 50/50 game in my mind and that is how it turned out. They had a little too much through the middle for us on the day.
And IMO Heppell was pretty good. Probably dropped two marks he should have taken but he worked pretty hard across the ground in the back half.

As I said above Stewart was very good until we allowed the some easy inside 50 due to our turnovers in the second half.
McKay got a soft free or two with jumper pulls. Ones we don't see go to Stringer at all.
No defender is going to stop him when he has a paddock to lead into.
Thought he was good for a first game back.

The inside 50 frees we gave away were frustrating.
The transition space they had on the wing too.

It is what it is. People can come on here and jump up and down about the few mistakes some senior players made but at the end of the day when you play the kids you will get mistakes from them as well which is expected.
Cox has been great so far but he can get caught out on his wing on a quick transfer when he gets a little fatigued. It is going to happen while he finds his way and gets another pre season under his belt.
Archie is getting better every game but he also has times where he gets lost in the pace of the opposition attack and really he should have nailed two of his shots at goal.
Bryan was where I expected him. Showed some of what he can do but was not strong enough yet and like the others there where times he was a fraction off the pace.
All of this is to be expected. They are young and learning and played very little footy last year.
Harry was much better this week. He is going to be a fine player.
In the end this game showed why we need Shiel and Caldwell. We where really once class midfielder short. Thought Merrett worked hard despite his tag and Parish can not play two positions :p He is mortal and they needed some extra help.
It was a 50/50 game in my mind and that is how it turned out. They had a little too much through the middle for us on the day.
And IMO Heppell was pretty good. Probably dropped two marks he should have taken but he worked pretty hard across the ground in the back half.
Agree with this other than re the skipper. Thought he made too many mistakes.

Was much better last week.

Couldnt get near the ball in the first half and was essentially the difference with 4.2.
Chook disagrees.
:p

Agree with this other than re the skipper. Thought he made too many mistakes.

Was much better last week.
He made some mistakes but personally I did not think more than a few others and he saved us a few times to counter that. There where a few times he ran into trouble because he refused to kick the ball away to where three Carlton blokes had set up camp. Watching him live his work rate was very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Endeavour very good. Turning point for me was when Hind got hit by McGovern. That gets paid a free kick and momentum arguably changes. The hit was late so a downfield free could have and should have easily been paid. The hit lifted Carlton's players, whilst it lowered our players, despite the fun and games that followed Carlton's next goal.

Defensively poor, too many times we turned the ball over through the middle or across half forward, then just watched them run away in waves. Let them break too many tackles as well.

Poor decisions with our entries into F50 at times as well. Forward pressure also down, although having said that, the forwards did well to kick the score they did.

Cox looked tired today, Ham may as well not be out there, provides not much at all. McGrath, Parish very quiet. Langford has provided very little all year, send him to the ressies for a bit. He seems to have regressed to the Langford of old.

Thought Lav was outstanding. Bryan showed enough to suggest he will be a good player one day. Really liked Jones game, took some good marks and kicked straight. Archie had a good game also.

Umps were atrocious.

* Carlton!!!

Not concerned at all about the loss today. There is finally some light at the end of the tunnel. I'd rather be an Essendon supporter than Carlton, that's for sure.
yeah. end of the day we won't play finals. come end of year wins are good, but not our pass mark.
Effort & development is what i'm after

A backline of Laverde, Ridley, Francis, Redman, Hind & whoever settles in at FB is the backline i never knew we had.
Perkins and Cox have me quoting BT
Jones looks great
Bit sad about the early injuries but Shiel & Caldwell added to Merrett, McGrath & Parish will be helpful.
Bryan & Draper....oh yeah.
Stringer out of the middle & kicking goals
Chook 3rd in the coleman.

From a club that really had little to smile about at the end of 2020

EDBDB00-A-FCC0-442-A-9259-3-E0-A43-EC2-E3-A.gif
677 meters gained

Endeavour very good. Turning point for me was when Hind got hit by McGovern. That gets paid a free kick and momentum arguably changes. The hit was late so a downfield free could have and should have easily been paid. The hit lifted Carlton's players, whilst it lowered our players, despite the fun and games that followed Carlton's next goal.
That and the frees/non frees involving Stringer were momentum changers. How's that Jones kid though?!

Disappointing. Just couldn't sustain 4 quarters of high pressure. We're playing the right way, it's just a matter of time. Need to work on stopping the slingshot out of defence in particular
Pretty much what Rutten said at the presser. Turnovers then being beaten on the rebound.

We tired out around the middle of the second. Before that, we were cutting them apart (had numerous chances to bury them too). As we tired, our ball movement into f50 suffered, and they hurt us the other way. Even late in the game, we picked them apart coming out of defence.

Are Carlton supposed to be competing? Because if they are...then ******* LOL. If an incredibly young team cut holes through them with that much ease, wtf will the better teams do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back