Will the Tim Kelly trade go down as one of the worst ever ?

Remove this Banner Ad

i wouldnt say 'not cameron' just yet. 3 first rounders is too much for cameron. not just because of the season he's just had, but i dont think his career (2 AA, 1 coleman, only 4 seasons over 50 goals) justifies 3 first round picks, especially as he is 28 at the start of the next season.

3 first rounders is selling the future. if the cats win a flag with cameron its not the worst trade ever, but if they fall in a hole in 3 years time they might have needed to have won 2 to justify it.
3 late first rounders in a poor/unknown draft for 2 potentially early 2nd rounders in what is apparently a better draft isn't selling the future. We postponed our draft picks specifically to use further into the future. How don't you people understand that? Going off the point allocation the trade was worth just pick 6 on its own to GWS

3 late first rounders in a poor/unknown draft for 2 potentially early 2nd rounders in what is apparently a better draft isn't selling the future. We postponed our draft picks specifically to use further into the future. How don't you people understand that? Going off the point allocation the trade was worth just pick 6 on its own to GWS
Pick points mean nothing unless you are using them for fs/nga picks.

If GWS finish mid table those picks are in the 30s. GWS should probably do better than that. Pick 14 to 30 is a very big difference.

You've lost 3 first round picks in the course of getting a forward that for 6 of the 9 seasons he has played has been between good and terrible, along with a couple of ok picks. It's a lot to give up and unless you absolutely nail those 2 second round picks, you need at least a flag to not have some serious egg on your face.

Pick points mean nothing unless you are using them for fs/nga picks.

If GWS finish mid table those picks are in the 30s. GWS should probably do better than that. Pick 14 to 30 is a very big difference.

You've lost 3 first round picks in the course of getting a forward that for 6 of the 9 seasons he has played has been between good and terrible, along with a couple of ok picks. It's a lot to give up and unless you absolutely nail those 2 second round picks, you need at least a flag to not have some serious egg on your face.
LOL what? 6 of his 9 seasons he's been terrible?

Going by this years ladder positions those two second round picks will end up as picks 24 and 27, although I do find it hilarious that to try and strengthen your argument you're saying that GWS will be much better next year than they were this year despite losing several best 22 players.

The trade boils down to pick 13 and a couple of small pick downgrades on late first rounders. We actually got 13 from Gold Coast last year straight up for our 2nd rounder anyway.

Going by this years ladder positions those two second round picks will end up as picks 24 and 27, although I do find it hilarious that to try and strengthen your argument you're saying that GWS will be much better next year than they were this year despite losing several best 22 players.

The trade boils down to pick 13 and a couple of small pick downgrades on late first rounders. We actually got 13 from Gold Coast last year straight up for our 2nd rounder anyway.

He's averaged 2+ goals in all but two seasons he's played, one of those was in their first season in the comp and the other was the year just gone.
Considering he spent the first four years of his career in a brand new side getting belted more often than not, his career has actually been better than it looks on paper. He may be a complete bust for us, who knows. But there is no way his career has been anything other than outstanding so far.

I mean, you could make it less obvious that you don't read what people write.

I mean, you could make it less obvious that you don't read what people write.
I mean, you could make it less obvious that you're just making s**t up because you either don't understand how trading, drafting and football work OR you're just trolling

Why are we talking about the Jeremy Cameron trade?

a) As long as Jeremy Cameron gets on the park and doesn't slump to Jack Anthony levels, it is already a better trade than Dayne Beams Mk II
b) This is a thread about the Tim Kelly trade

As far as I'm concerned Geelong did what they had to to secure a top key forward for a premiership push in the next couple of years. Who cares what they paid? It's not like they gave GWS Tom Hawkins to sweeten the deal.

Anyway, back to Tim Kelly - had a good year and hopefully improves even more next year as more of our midfielders stay on the park and/or pick up the slack. The St Kilda game was a prime example of what he can do when he's off the leash even with no support.

Two things the TK and JC trades have in common - yes there were first round picks flying all over the place, but there are first round picks, and then there are first round picks. Picks in the mid to late teens, or in the case of this year, a pick in the 20's being classed as 'first round' can be misleading. It'd take two, maybe even three of these to get into the real pointy end of the draft. It's why Wells was initially asking for a top ten pick from WCE for TK, but instead had to settle for a whole jumble of pieces.

Cats picked up a very good player and refined him into a brilliant player. West Coast got value for money they just need to get the best out of him, a year to settle is fine lets see how he goes in the next couple of years before judging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need more than 1 game to justify 2 first rounders, let alone all the other stuff given up for him

BOG against St Kilda and Adelaide last year, good games against Collingwood (first time), Carlton and Essendon. BOG today, also had good games for all of our wins (shockers against Geelong and St Kilda but he's not alone there).

The picks given up were 14, 24 and 37.

We're quite happy.

BOG against St Kilda and Adelaide last year, good games against Collingwood (first time), Carlton and Essendon. BOG today, also had good games for all of our wins (shockers against Geelong and St Kilda but he's not alone there).

The picks given up were 14, 24 and 37.

We're quite happy.

Undoubtedly one of the best mids in the comp - is he BOG every week? No, but few are - and when he fires, the Eagles look mighty dangerous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back