Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 8 vs. North Melbourne, MRVL Sat 08/05 @ 4:35 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should bring through as many young kids as possible as a development year, true
But if we do that we still need some functional structural components to make the team functional - no point going to shambles
So that means have the best KPD (Moore) and best KPF (Cox) play their roles, and if we want to bring in future KPs like Keane/Kelly then play them on/as the third tall
IF we do that we can still play at least 5 kids or more per game

I think you have to bring in the guys like Keane and Kelly because Cox won't be there next year. Selecting him for this week when he hasn't offered anything at VFL level seems like a waste of an opportunity to one of the younger lads.

But we both know that Moore will be starting forward so the point is moot.

I agree Cox won’t be here for our next flag, but neither will Pendles, Sidey, Mayne and others. We need to strike the balance between older players and kids - especially since we seem to have created a donut structure with not many in the middle age group - and Cox’s experience and his contribution up forward is part of that. No one else does what he does, and while Cameron and Henry will hopefully make it, they are a long way off. We have to win some games this season, to give us some hope and the kids some reward for their effort. Our launch to the next flag will come in subsequent years.
Pendles will. He’ll play until he’s 45.

OUT: Chris Mayne - Callum Brown - Finlay Macrae - Will Hoskin-Elliott
IN: Brayden Sier - Ollie Henry - Will Kelly - Jay Rantall

FB: Brayden Maynard - Jordan Roughead - Mark Keane
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Nathan Murphy
C: John Noble - Josh Daicos - Isaac Quaynor
HF: Brody Mihocek - Darcy Cameron - Steele Sidebottom
FF: Jordan De Goey - Will Kelly - Beau McCreery
FOLL: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Brayden Sier
INT:
Jay Rantall - Josh Thomas - Caleb Poulter - Ollie Henry

Your nominated OUTs make good sense to me but there’s no chance that Bucks axes three of hit pet favourites in one go. Literally zero chance of it happening. At best one of them will go out, along with Macrae.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Your nominated OUTs make good sense to me but there’s no chance that Bucks axes three of hit pet favourites in one go. Literally zero chance of it happening. At best one of them will go out, along with Macrae.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I know, trust me. I think I list at least 2 of those blokes as outs in every single one of these threads!

In: Sier, Greenwood
Out: Brown, Mayne

I'd love Henry to be ready but don't feel he is yet. We need a bit of experience next to the kids, hence picking Greenwood. Sier has to come in and has to lift. Club, team mates need him dominating in at the stoppages, finally put your f_@,$#ing hand up son!

Plenty of other blokes on shaky ground but not much to bring in. Kelly doesn't look ready to me, needs to dominate games at VFL level first.

Cox is a 20 goal a year key forward. He’s not part of a flag push. It’s time to do better
Cheap words. Who is going to be likely to cause the defenses we play against more headaches than Cox, as flawed as he might be? DeGoey has been woeful, Moore's confidence is going south with each passing game and he looks as potent as a gnat at the moment. Henry? McCeery? Kelly? I'm not even convinced he will make it at this stage. Handy additions who may well become very good players. Every time I read the opposition forums I see their supporters happy that Cox is missing. Until we recruit a gorilla who clunks the pill every time it's kicked in his direction, Cox is our best option. I can't believe the bitterness some have for the bloke- it seems unhinged.

Another interesting factor regarding Cox is that he gets under the skin of the opposition players and crowds. This leads to emotional choices from players which in turn leads to mistakes. I've seen Cox stir up teams in the past with his arrogant strut after kicking a goal. We need something for the love of god. We are so stale, flat, passionless and devoid of energy.

Last edited:
Cheap words. Who is going to be likely to cause the defenses we play against more headaches than Cox, as flawed as he might be? DeGoey has been woeful, Moore's confidence is going south with each passing game and he looks as potent as a gnat at the moment. Henry? McCeery? Kelly? I'm not even convinced he will make it at this stage. Handy additions who may well become very good players? Every time I read the opposition forums I see their supporters happy that Cox is missing. Until we recruit a gorilla who clunks the pill every time it's kicked in his direction, Cox is our best option. I can't believe the bitterness some have for the bloke- it seems unhinged.

Another interesting factor regarding Cox is that he gets under the skin of the opposition players and crowds. This leads to emotional choices from players which in turn leads to mistakes. I've seen Cox stir up teams in the past with his arrogant strut after kicking a goal. We need something for the love of god. We are so stale, flat, passionless and devoid of energy.
We are 1/6. Who cares about wins? The season is done, it’s time to prep for the future, Cox is not part of that. Say he plays, and we end up with 5 wins for the season, What does that achieve? he’s not and never will be the key forward of a premiership team and sustained success. I’d rather give Cameron all season and see what he can do than play cox to win a couple more games against bottom 8 teams. This year is development nothing less. The only reason I’d play cox would be to increase his potential trade value

We are 1/6. Who cares about wins? The season is done, it’s time to prep for the future, Cox is not part of that. Say he plays, and we end up with 5 wins for the season, What does that achieve? he’s not and never will be the key forward of a premiership team and sustained success. I’d rather give Cameron all season and see what he can do than play cox to win a couple more games against bottom 8 teams. This year is development nothing less. The only reason I’d play cox would be to increase his potential trade value

And who will lead us to a premiership as a key forward? Cox went bloody close. Took only one less contested mark in a final than Wayne Carey who holds the record. Charlie Dixon has about the same stats as Cox yet no-one questions the idea that he may spearhead Port in a grand final. Development of players who have a future is one thing- I recall Tony Shaw giving countless games to Godden, Jason Wild and many to players whose names I have long forgotten. If it makes you feel good pumping games into young players who aren't good enough , I'm happy for you. I don't want to play that game. I don't think Keane is going to be a premiership defender, do you? Should we axe him now?

We have already introduced five new kids and they will get plenty more looks this year. That is more than enough. Bianco will get his chance and that will mean just about our whole contingent of draftees will have had a run. Reef looks a year or two away. In the meantime, Cameron will continue to be a ruckman who can bag a goal or two up forward occasionally but does not present the same problems as Cox. He was out-bodied on a number of occasions by smaller opponents and did not look dangerous. Do you think Cameron in the goal square is going to bring us a premiership? If not, why persist?

Let me add this observation: Cox is fun to watch. Yes, he drops the occasional mark and gets pushed under the pill, but he also brings the crowd alive when he is on. When he showed his new baulking and dummy selling tricks in his last couple of games the crowd went crazy. We have very few entertaining players. We are dour and boring for most of the time. There is a palpable excitement in the air when Cox launches for a mark or takes off with the pill in hand.
When he retires he will have a bloody good highlights package for a seven foot basketballer many brand a spud.

Last edited:
Until we recruit a gorilla who clunks the pill every time it's kicked in his direction, Cox is our best option. I can't believe the bitterness some have for the bloke- it seems unhinged.
I agree Cox should be back in with Moore back to CHB. But Mason has fallen out of favour with Bucks so I don't think we'll see him back in the seniors unless Grundy or Cameron gets injured (or Bucks gets the sack).

And who will lead us to a premiership as a key forward? Cox went bloody close. Took only one less contested mark in a final than Wayne Carey who holds the record. Charlie Dixon has about the same stats as Cox yet no-one questions the idea that he may spearhead Port in a grand final. Development of players who have a future is one thing- I recall Tony Shaw giving countless games to Godden, Jason Wild and many to players whose names I have long forgotten. If it makes you feel good pumping games into young players who aren't good enough , I'm happy for you. I don't want to play that game. I don't think Keane is going to be a premiership defender, do you? Should we axe him now?

We have already introduced five new kids and they will get plenty more looks this year. That is more than enough. Bianco will get his chance and that will mean just about our whole contingent of draftees will have had a run. Reef looks a year or two away. In the meantime, Cameron will continue to be a ruckman who can bag a goal or two up forward occasionally but does not present the same problems as Cox. He was out-bodied on a number of occasions by smaller opponents and did not look dangerous. Do you think Cameron in the goal square is going to bring us a premiership? If not, why persist?

Let me add this observation: Cox is fun to watch. Yes, he drops the occasional mark and gets pushed under the pill, but he also brings the crowd alive when he is on. When he showed his new baulking and dummy selling tricks in his last couple of games the crowd went crazy. We have very few entertaining players. We are dour and boring for most of the time. There is a palpable excitement in the air when Cox launches for a mark or takes off with the pill in hand.
When he retires he will have a bloody good highlights package for a seven foot basketballer many brand a spud.
I just hope the next Premiership team we have, has a small Dynasty. A small period of loathing by the rest of the league and its supporters. Apart from The Machine, I don’t think any of our teams have had this. Would love an Era like the Cats, Hawks and now Tigers are enjoying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No point changing the forwards. Wouldn't be a forward in the comp who would be able to function effectively in our team. No hope getting a clear run when the ball is moving so slowly that there are 10 opposition players in our 50.

Change the ball movement and even WHE would be kicking goals.

no problem if Cox doesn’t get another game but it smells like the club might be wanting to avoid a trigger again. He was going relatively ok when dropped. Does anyone know if he has some trigger clause?

In: Cox/Kelly, Greenwood, Rantall, Henry
Out: Keane, Thomas, C.Brown, Mayne

FB: Maynard, Roughead, Murphy
HB: Crisp, Moore, Quaynor
C: Noble, DeGoey, Poulter
HF: Sidebottom, Cameron, Mihocek
FF: McCreery, Cox/Kelly, Henry
Fol: Grundy, Pendlebury, Daicos
Int: Greenwood, Rantall, WHE, Macrae

A few non-negotiables for me.
- Moore has to go back and we need to settle our back 6. It's understated how important a solid and consistent back 6 unit is.
- DeGoey needs a few games playing predominantly in the midfield. Get his hands on the ball as often as possible. He is in a bit of a funk, but we need to persist with him playing on the ball.
- Our forward line needs 3 talls. Don't care who the 3rd is (as long as its not Moore), but we need to stretch teams aerially in our forward line and try and get a favourable match up for Mihocek as he is our most damaging forward currently.

I tip my hat to all of you in this thread still trying out and discussing ideas and having some hope.

I am beyond caring anymore.

Where did our depth of mids go? Surely Treloar (and Taylor) wasn’t it. For years haven’t we been spending our picks mainly on mids more than anything else.

Where did our depth of mids go? Surely Treloar (and Taylor) wasn’t it. For years haven’t we been spending our picks mainly on mids more than anything else.
age got sidey
Injuries cripple adams
Beams cripples the club and paints
Treloar went for a packet of chips

And those mysterious picks in the top 18 escape us

In: Sier, Greenwood
Out: Brown, Mayne

I'd love Henry to be ready but don't feel he is yet. We need a bit of experience next to the kids, hence picking Greenwood. Sier has to come in and has to lift. Club, team mates need him dominating in at the stoppages, finally put your f_@,$#ing hand up son!

Plenty of other blokes on shaky ground but not much to bring in. Kelly doesn't look ready to me, needs to dominate games at VFL level first.

To me Greenwood is in the Mayne basket. The club needs to go past both of them unfortunately, as l can't see either at the club next year. This season is now about development, persist with the youth so continue to play Macrae, Poulter, Rantall etc....find out about some of the guys who have been on the list for a few years now like Murphy, Sier (can he get back to what he displayed in 2018, or is it all too hard for him), Kelly, Wilson etc. I cannot see what is gained by selecting Mayne and Greenwood going forward this season.

Last edited:
No point changing the forwards. Wouldn't be a forward in the comp who would be able to function effectively in our team. No hope getting a clear run when the ball is moving so slowly that there are 10 opposition players in our 50.

Change the ball movement and even WHE would be kicking goals.
And Cox would be very dangerous, far more dangerous than WHE.

Not really too sure there’ll be too many changes this week. Hopefully Howe getting close to a recall but if not it might be as little as Mayne - Rantall swapping the medical sub. Henry, Wilson, Sier and Cox the other potential inclusions.

Out: Mayne
In: Wilson

So many problems, but I don’t think
They can really be resolved by bringing in players that we have available.

I felt like the Gold Coast game was make or break for us, it could have given us the confidence to back up with a few easier games coming up. It ended up breaking us and in a horrible fashion.

Bringing in kids when the team is in such disarray helps nobody. Hence Mayne stays, I don’t get the criticism of him at all. He gives 110% makes few mistakes and is selfless in how he takes what ever role is required for the team. The other whipping boy Thomas has also improved in recent weeks, he’s been playing his role ok and had some nice clearances on ball.

I get the argument to play Henry over WHE.

Callum Brown can’t kick, but he brings and intensity that I like and I think he is unfairly maligned given our situation. Bringing in the kids, who I agree are better prospects, won’t work most aren’t ready and that has shown in their performances. They haven’t played much footy over 12+ months, and it’s nigh impossible to for anybody to be playing well with the shambolic way we go about our footy atm. I think Beau is the one exception, but he has a defined role largely unreliant on his team mates.

Id give Henry another crack for WHE, and I’d love for Lynch to get another game but Cameron has been playing really well.

Somebody needs to come in for Macrae and unfortunately I think that will be Sier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back