AFL Autopsy Rnd 7: Done by the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

It sucks to lose to Carlton but I think we are where they were a couple of years ago in terms of their list development so it's probably not unexpected.

It was good to see us fight it out right to the end despite what were clearly some pretty tired legs.

I think the biggest thing to take is the glimpses of the potential some of these younger guys have for the future. I also enjoyed the fact that despite having more of the ball we out tackled the opposition which shows there's a lot of intent.

It'll be a tough few weeks ahead leading up to the bye, I reckon Norf is probably the only certainty (although they've been improving and they always find an extra gear against us - it's their grand final after all), Freo and GWS are pretty iffy and I doubt we beat Richmond or WCE.

It's hard to keep grounded in the reality of a development year when losing to Carlton, I turned off the TV after the last Carlton goal with 15 seconds left so I didn't have to listen to their song, petty but it was for the best.

Our kids make me happy.

Jones and Perkins, welcome to the big time.

Bryan was solid but physically needs time. His follow up work is good, imagine he and Draper in tandem? They will work any ruckman over.

That was Cox's worst game since round 1 but he still wasn't s**t (but looked tired I reckon). Got to pinch myself and remember he's only played 7 games and it's amazing that expectations are already building for his output.

Last edited:

They’re pretty bog average. McKay is a total gun, as are Walsh and Weitering. But I’m not sure even the most nuffy Carlton supporter would think this group is going to take them to a flag. They’ve got a lot of average players who aren’t getting any better. At very best I’d have them 7th or 8th.

Best 22 not playing

Curnow
Martin
Williams
Fisher
De Konning
Newman
Marchbank
JSOS

Didn't watch, saw it coming a mile away.
Had a great day. :)

In all seriousness, this will happen a few times this year, and sounds like some if the kids starting to need a quick spell in the magoos. Will watch the replay (or.maybe just the mayo mini, watching a full game knowing in advance that you're going to lose to the filth IS hard work ha!) at some stage.
Good to see a decent score kicked at least? Curious to see how Stewart went in defence.

Best 22 not playing

Curnow
Martin
Williams
Fisher
De Konning
Newman
Marchbank
JSOS
wouldn't bank the last 3 for a finals team.
TDK is still very prospective.
You guys really need Curnow to get right. McGov isn't enough...or even one i'd be banking on at all tbh.

SPS was good today. Why was he sub over Dow?

Not sure it's fair on Teague to put finals expectations on this team.

You all know the drill. Would have loved Draper, Shiel, Caldwell etc etc etc.

Two bog average sides that struggled to defend the ground, one took their chances and the other didn’t.

Turnovers yes but the Blues play a weird game. Not sure if it showed up on TV but they roll the dice staying well off the contest to the point they are cheating out the back. So in essence it made our turnovers look really bad.
It will not stand up against the better sides who do not turn it over as much and win more contested footy.
Yeah I noticed this as well, the amount of times they had someone standing alone in a paddock while we had the ball was astounding.

Better sides won’t turn the ball over as much and that spare at the contest will tear them to bits.

wouldn't bank the last 3 for a finals team.
TDK is still very prospective.
You guys really need Curnow to get right. McGov isn't enough...or even one i'd be banking on at all tbh.

SPS was good today. Why was he sub over Dow?

Not sure it's fair on Teague to put finals expectations on this team.

SPS has been terrible as a defender is ok as a mid, especially when the opposition don't plan for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't watch, saw it coming a mile away.
Had a great day. :)

In all seriousness, this will happen a few times this year, and sounds like some if the kids starting to need a quick spell in the magoos. Will watch the replay (or.maybe just the mayo mini, watching a full game knowing in advance that you're going to lose to the filth IS hard work ha!) at some stage.
Good to see a decent score kicked at least? Curious to see how Stewart went in defence.
Stewart did well i thought.
chalk 2 of McKay's goals up to frees he didn't give away (Soft as butter ones too)

I'd refrain against resting any kids.
Cox was in most things until he got a small head knock.
Perkins' tank is getting stronger each AFL game he plays.
Jones just doesn't stop all game
Bryan perhaps. but he was good.

really wouldn't drop anyone for the Giants game
Franga will come in. Reckon Zaka goes to VFL and someone is unlucky to be sub.

You all know the drill. Would have loved Draper, Shiel, Caldwell etc etc etc.

Two bog average sides that struggled to defend the ground, one took their chances and the other didn’t.
we don't have the etc's imo
Those 3 in would be enough. Our depth ends there.

Gotta be the focus over the next 12 months.
MSD + 2021 FA/ND/PSD.
Gotta add mids and maybe a dangerous small forward.

McKay took Harris Andrews apart.

I'm not sure anyone can really stand him.

He's the best forward in the game. He could end the year the best player in the game.

Couldnt get near the ball in the first half and was essentially the difference with 4.2.
Walsh was THE difference, McKay had * all bearing on the the result but, do agree he's the next superstar.

Yeah doesn’t alter my opinion much. Curnow showed some great signs but is in a world of trouble. Martin and Williams add class. De Koning is a 10 game player ffs. The rest, meh.

Yeah you could say they are all s**t but they are best 22 over guys like casboult, parks, stocker, owies, newnes, dow etc who I'm sure you'll agree are even shitter

Yeah you could say they are all sh*t but they are best 22 over guys like casboult, parks, stocker, owies, newnes, dow etc who I'm sure you'll agree are even shitter
I thought Parks and Owies showed a fair bit of promise today.

we don't have the etc's imo
Those 3 in would be enough. Our depth ends there.

Gotta be the focus over the next 12 months.
MSD + 2021 FA/ND/PSD.
Gotta add mids and maybe a dangerous small forward.

Meant it more that I’ve basically left the same comment after every game, particularly the ones where we have been outmuscled around the clearances by bigger, more physical ruckmen.

Pattern is pretty clear and obvious to me

Yeah you could say they are all sh*t but they are best 22 over guys like casboult, parks, stocker, owies, newnes, dow etc who I'm sure you'll agree are even shitter

They’re not all s**t. Williams and Martin are class, but not sure “class” players take you to the next level. I just don’t think the rest of who you named are necessarily that much better than those who played today. De Koning has 2 years of proper development ahead of him, minimum. As for Curnow, pretty dangerous expecting much from him now - more a bonus if he arrives.

All's good, thought we were stiff, couple things happened at the Nearly 5 goals up stage we never took advantage of.
Let the hearts of peas get back into it. We're looking ok.
Bryan is yet another big positive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back