Team Captain
Aug 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Add Baker to the list too.

Not having elite skills isn’t the end of the world but those three combine poor skills with poor decision making which is a recipe for disaster.

its sad that Brayshaw - who finished 3rd in the Brownlow - is now being compered with Baker and NealBullen. I thought Baker improved as the game progressed and his intent was strong. The other two were terrible.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Said this in the gameday thread, and yall can at me if ya want (specifically thecount).

Baker is just a new Sam Blease. Happy for him to prove me wrong tho
I only really caught the last qrt, but I'm just about done with him too tbh. I've only hung in there for so long because I've seen what he could at the lower level, but it doesn't always translate, and I don't think it's going to at this point. I feel like the only reason he was a traveling emergency was because Chandler has already missed a few weeks as the Injury Sub, and he got lucky with the late change, so will be pretty shocked if he stays in the side.

I did like that effort in the 2 on 1 on the wing tho, played that really well and attacked the ball far more than the other two.

its sad that Brayshaw - who finished 3rd in the Brownlow - is now being compered with Baker and NealBullen. I thought Baker improved as the game progressed and his intent was strong. The other two were terrible.
Brayshaw is in such a s**t position. He came 3rd in 2018 (undeservedly) as an inside mid. But he's not better than our 1st choice mids. Tracc, Oliver, Viney, Harmes 50/50. So he gets forced out to a wing where he is s**t. I really want him to get traded for his own sake.

SackLunch

Team Captain
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m not having any part of bad or fugly.

I get some people on the board want to analyze the game and whatever. Totally fine.

Personally, I’m thinking it’s all good baby. We might never be 7 zip ever again.
It’s up to the coaches and players and s**t not to get ahead of themselves.

My job is to celebrate and pump K-POP and eat breakfast for dinner.

7-0!!!

* yes!!!

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m not having any part of bad or fugly.

I get some people on the board want to analyze the game and whatever. Totally fine.

Personally, I’m thinking it’s all good baby. We might never be 7 zip ever again.
It’s up to the coaches and players and sh*t not to get ahead of themselves.

My job is to celebrate and pump K-POP and eat breakfast for dinner.

7-0!!!

fu** yes!!!
I think you belong on reddit with the forced happy smiles and positivity brigade

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brayshaw, Melksham and Nibbler were all awful.

Pickett, Rivers and Jacko all amazing again. Jacko especially in the third with his follow up work and energy when the ball is in his area.

Goody gets a tick, thought after half time we structured up so much better with Tmac in the backline. North ran out of legs, though.

I didn't mind Bakers game, I thought although his kicking was a little off, he brought decent run and worked hard all day. Much better than some of our senior players mentioned above.

Jones really solid when he came on, especially in the first half to stem the tide.

Good sides find ways to win, fu** North
Agree. Baker made a lot of bad decisions but by the end of the match he did enough good things to hold his place. Certainly no worse than what Brayshaw has done on the wing to date.

On Gus, I think the shift back inside actually hurt him. He’s probably done a bunch of physical work to improve his endurance at the expense of his power, and it showed there.

I don’t think you drop him, but whoever comes in needs to be in the guts.

Goodwin flirted with a few things, but he rectified the matter at half time. He knew our kids would slow up and set out to spread us at every opportunity.

We got opened up a few times down the middle also.

It succeeded.

Pretty much how I saw it mate. We're a couple of years development away yet. Still, you can see a decent side unfolding.

As for the Pies, they run pretty hard. It won't be easy. I'm just happy to be competitive in every game from now on, even of we do go 0-22.

Good luck for the rest of the year, as your best footy puts you right in the contender frame.
You'll win a few, especially in the back half, players are playing for the jumper which is all you can ask. Always hard for a struggling side to win early in the year but once the bottom 10 is settled you can catch some of those teams out. North still have a good core of senior players who lead the way. Don't underestimate their importance to the future of the list.

North are actually a huge chance in their next four, today was great timing for them to put in a blinder and hopefully get their tails up. Collingwood > Hawthorn > Essendon > St Kilda coming up, the four sides currently above them on the ladder in ascending order lol, heading into their bye.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Good:
Jackson and Pickett carried us
Slick’s finishing and straight kicking
Getting out of 2nd gear for long enough to win
MacDonald settling into 3rd defender. Could inadvertently solve our fwd balance issue
Powell being ok to play on

Bad
Everything already said

Ugly
Tomlinson going down - ACL’s are so innocuous, it’s f***ed

Umpiring was poor - wtf is with picking a random game to go bananas on the 15m rule and then botch most of it. Honestly it was being paid/not paid based on field situation. Terrible.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
BAD AND UGLY:
Melksham and ANB were about as bad as you can be. Melk out forever, ANB can have a run as sub next week as punishment.

Brayshaw terrible except for a 5 minute patch in the third quarter. Baker looked like a twos player in the ones.

Not critical of Brown’s efforts today given his time off but for those of us who were sceptical about bringing him to Melbourne that looked pretty much as expected.

Terrible for Tomlinson and our structure but Tmac going back really shored us up. Interesting to see if he goes back to play that role permanently or if Daw or Petty are brought in.

Effort and intensity first half was terrible and going forward we just can’t afford to be that bad for an entire half of football.

A left field Ugly: we’ve been caught out twice now on grounds with hard centre wicket areas, both Manuka against GWS and today. The guys in the centre have to wake up to the fact that on those hard slippery areas you can’t change direction at all which means you need more coverage on the defensive side. We consistently let North walk out of stoppages because we didn’t address this.

GOOD:
Jackson and Pickett wowee. They picked us up and carried us in the third and their disposal is top class.
Jackson’s hand balling is fast approaching elite, he’s creative and always puts it to advantage.

Salem is becoming one of the league’s best half backs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
What point are you trying to make?

lots of key forwards don’t get much ball. Particularly on the way back from a string of injuries over the past 18 months.

A millimetre away from three goals too. on a bad day.

I swear most of you get your kicks by trying to be as alt as possible. At least topkent backs his opinions up with a bit of analysis
Yeah he had a "nearly" kind of game really. Struggled to get separation. Competed well though and if he put his dukes out a few more times then he could have had a bag. As long as competes and brings the ball to ground and kicks his 2 a game then he's doing his job.

Oct 11, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nick Riewoldt and David King already writing us off after Tomlinsons injury.

Would rather this than them talking us up ad nauseam. Geez Riewoldt doesn't like Melbourne.
Doesn't like Melbourne?! Surely he adores us! The number of times he single-handedly tore us apart when he was playing...it's like he circled in the games v us on the calendar at the start of each year as if it was his birthday. I just kept waiting for him to retire so we could actually beat the bloody Saints.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good:

We're 7-0, on top of the ladder at the end of a round for the first time since half of these players were 10 years old, the only unbeaten side in the competition and steadied enough to win a game that Melbourne sides of previous years would have lost.

* the bad and ugly for tonight. It can wait until tomorrow.

Buy me a lab and I'll give you all the analysis you want you stupid campaigner
Topkent is willing to rent out the '426 Recovery Wing' of his lab at a reasonable rate. However, you don't want a bar of the 'Lucas Cook fringe 22 experimental wing', they're doing some crazy stuff there.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Good

Jackson and Koz - boy oh boy these kids are seriously good. Without them we might have been embarrassed. Jackson surely firming for Rising Star!

Fritta - finally kicked straight and when we needed him to as well.

Salem/Langdon - so reliable so consistent.

Winning ugly - good teams find a way. We found a way.

Bad

Failing to impact - Gus, Hunt, Melksham.

Expecting it to happen - North were good in the first half, but our pressure was poor really. We just looked like we were expecting it to happen tbh. Next few weeks we have tricky matchups. Be that complacent and we could drop a couple.

Ugly

Tomlinson - injuries were bound to come, but the footy gods were cruel to Tommo. Hate to see it happen to any player. Important to our structure and was grossly underrated this season. Tough to replace.

Leadership - after praising our leadership last week, this week none of our leaders really stood up. Gawn didn't look like it, Trac and Oliver had poor first halves, May and Lever really struggled early. TMac couldn't get a touch early. Thankfully they improved enough to help get us over the line, but we can't rely on Koz and Dogga to bail us out against the good teams.

We don't match up well against the Swans. We tend to struggle against them. Play like we did today and that's a comfortable loss next week. Genuine 50/50 game. Leadership need to stand up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back