Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
The fact we were in the s**t may have contributed to the Gold Coast being Gold Coast and not Southport, that we apparently killed off the possibility of bringing another non-vic club opposed to creating a franchise for the AFL.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
maybe it was the shizen stadium that was built for the house of SANFL cows...........PS that is absolute b/s that the name of the club was raised. Absolute b/s, show some facts on that one please. That’s pure Rucci and talkback radio garbology

The stadium deal played a part as did the crows being established first, a separate Magpies club, outsiders stirring myths, insiders believing myths, market research channeling the issue to our past, identity moving astray, perceived culture changing, etc. Port people disengagement for above reasons. The afl raised club name ala Western Bulldogs to broaden the club's appeal. I believe the club didn’t entertain it but we had a couple of board members adamant that we needed to move away from our Magpies past, along with a couple of employees.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
1619923060865.png

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
The cognitive dissonance between believing Port Adelaide in the AFL is different to Port Adelaide in the SANFL, but at the same time having a vendetta against Port Adelaide in the AFL because of the actions of Port Adelaide in the SANFL is so fascinating it should be the subject of a scientific paper.
Nick Ryan talks about this in his column today.

1619923234713.png

1619923301688.png

1619923349920.png

Also this about why Eddie is so opposed to us wearing the PBs;

1619923406834.png

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide (SANFL)
My nieces and nephews loved the Planet teal pre-game stuff- they got so many autographs and Nick naks, do you mean the colour Teal focus versus Prison bar?. That was a focus from day one in the AFL, Brian Cunningham was crystal clear that was an important part of our identity and it was researched from the NFL- I think a couple of teams in NFL and MLB. In clubs defence, they were not allowed to promote black and white And teal and silver are our colours as well.

The good news when we were up the shizen, was that we saw a more relaxed AFL on combining our marketing with our Magpie history.

I think we got money too, to wear a teal guernsey from M&M’s in early 2000’s. The Footy Classified clips showed Bucky on the Footy Show talking about Teal.

What is the Southern Power thing? I went to my club meetings and AGM’s, I never ever heard of Southern Power? All I have ever heard was that we were the Port Adelaide Football Club and that is what matters to me and my family.
There was a clear push under James to completely disassociate ourselves from our name, heritage and roots. It's all well and good to promote that to the kids, but this festered all the way through the club.

You'd ring the club up and get a "Welcome to the Power", the reference to the name Port Adelaide was used sparingly. Teal branding everywhere, poor interaction with past players and reference to our past went as far back as 97. This was a deliberate push from James. Unforgivable and highly damaging.

At the time of Celebrating 10 years of Port in the AFL, there were several pieces of memorabilia that went into print with shocking fabricated history of this "new" Port Adelaide in the AFL. This went unnoticed on his watch!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

So what made the AFL say yes in this instance?

They needed us out of the BIB as quickly as possible, I don't think they thought we could get the jumpers made so they just said yes, but they ended up getting made and we wore them.
Side note: I wouldn't say Port wearing the bars that day is why I stopped going for Collingwood, but it's definitely the reason I chose Port as my team the next year.
EDIT: The AFL was also in the wrong here, not Richmond either. AFL ballsed it up and I have no idea why they decided just then the clash jumper wasn't good enough then. Either way though their inverse clash these days is great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Side note: I wouldn't say Port wearing the bars that day is why I stopped going for Collingwood, but it's definitely the reason I chose Port as my team the next year.

Hold on... what?

So what made the AFL say yes in this instance?

Because Mark The Moron Evans couldnt explain why we had to wear a clash jumper at our home final, so they didnt have a leg to stand on when we said we had a proper home jumper that didnt clash.

So when we said we will wear the PB they said you wont be able to make them on time.

Pity it was an EF and not a QF because if we had won that there would be no reason why we couldnt wear it in the PF.

Because Mark The Moron Evans couldnt explain why we had to wear a clash jumper at our home final, so they didnt have a leg to stand on when we said we had a proper home jumper that didnt clash.

So when we said we will wear the PB they said you wont be able to make them on time.

Pity it was an EF and not a QF because if we had won that there would be no reason why we couldnt wear it in the PF.
Were Collingwood consulted?

Hold on... what?
I supported Collingwood up until I was 12, I thought everyone knew this? I have definitely talked about it before. My mum dad and sister are all Pies fans, my cousins and relatives are all a mix of Collingwood and Carlton with a few Essendon and one of my mum's uncles going for Geelong. I'm the odd one out as the Port fan lol.

Were Collingwood consulted?
McGuire doesnt huff and puff about it so I reckon he was told they are going to wear it but "we dont reckon they can make it time so they will have to wear their clash jjumper."

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
I supported Collingwood up until I was 12, I thought everyone knew this? I have definitely talked about it before. My mum dad and sister are all Pies fans, my cousins and relatives are all a mix of Collingwood and Carlton with a few Essendon and one of my mum's uncles going for Geelong. I'm the odd one out as the Port fan lol.
Go the power!!!!!!

But seriously how does one become a Carlton fan?.... They have been s**t for.... Like 15 years!?.

McGuire doesnt huff and puff about it so I reckon he was told they are going to wear it but "we dont reckon they can make it time so they will have to wear their clash jjumper."
I don’t recall them being involved at all. It was between KT and Evans. Sets a precedent of sorts perhaps.

I don’t recall them being involved at all. It was between KT and Evans. Sets a precedent of sorts perhaps.
They were definitely the public faces of this, but pantswetter Gil, he had only been CEO for 3 months, would have called good mate Ed to discuss it.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Interesting that no signed agreements with Eddiewood have been referenced for that EF nor for when we wore them for the other games bar agreements in 2019 and 2007. It doesn't look like these signed agreements happened each time nor are necessary. Evans, representing the AFL, made a decision on the spot it seems, for the EF. How about that. Not so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back