List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

God we need Valente to come good. Like seriously
If he doesn’t get game time this year and contribute I feel like we’re massively short midfield.
Western and O’Driscoll getting somewhere would be handy.
If Valente doesn’t come good, I think we need to take a midfielder first this year which is going to piss me off no end

WC had Kelly, Gaff, Sheed, Redden ... which isn't even a top tier group ... and then what? We should have been able to match them if you think about the individual ability of players. WC simply know how to play to a system and execute at Optus. Even if we put Neale and Cerra back into our side, we would still have been belted in the midfield.

Look at the mids Brisbane and Richmond had missing this week. Some of the ones playing aren't exactly hugely talented players and would look like hacks in our side.

Once upon a time we had a system that worked with the likes of Crowley, Suban, DeBoer, Mzungu, Clancee. And Barlow the perfect type of player in terms of doing what role players do, but still being an A grade ball getter. This hasn't existed for a long time, and I don't think another top 5 mid will fix the issue. The coaches need to work out how to get a system that works as a whole with suitable non-star players.

WC had Kelly, Gaff, Sheed, Redden ... which isn't even a top tier group ... and then what? We should have been able to match them if you think about the individual ability of players. WC simply know how to play to a system and execute at Optus. Even if we put Neale and Cerra back into our side, we would still have been belted in the midfield.

Look at the mids Brisbane and Richmond had missing this week. Some of the ones playing aren't exactly hugely talented players and would look like hacks in our side.

Once upon a time we had a system that worked with the likes of Crowley, Suban, DeBoer, Mzungu, Clancee. And Barlow the perfect type of player in terms of doing what role players do, but still being an A grade ball getter. This hasn't existed for a long time, and I don't think another top 5 mid will fix the issue. The coaches need to work out how to get a system that works as a whole with suitable non-star players.
You're missing that Sandi was one of our better clearance players and dictated the stoppages.

Nic Nat controlled the stoppages, it makes everyone better around him.

You're missing that Sandi was one of our better clearance players and dictated the stoppages.

Nic Nat controlled the stoppages, it makes everyone better around him.
I would like to see a few more inside mids who are willing to fight it out in there. Especially two way running ones.

Just a heads up, there might be a video dropped today with Cerra in a Freo polo sitting in front of the lockers with a smile on his face... currently on the Freo website but not yet accessible...

So yeah...
He may be suffering buyers remorse today though

Just a heads up, there might be a video dropped today with Cerra in a Freo polo sitting in front of the lockers with a smile on his face... currently on the Freo website but not yet accessible...

So yeah...
1620005776128.png
this the one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So yeah...
Where is that on the website?

I think Hamling and Pearce are cooked.
Cox and Ryan take the 2nd and 3rd talls.
Logue might not be the player we think he's capable of becoming?

Imo if we are gonna bring anyone in its got to be an A grade KPD. Those Gorilla Fwds seem to get hold of us.
I'm of the opinion that 'gorilla forwards' will get a hold of everyone they play. Ablett Snr, Lockett, Dunstall etc. couldn't be stopped. One of the secrets to these guys was that they were big and fast, like really, really quick over 20m. I think tonygeeks said it about Kennedy's reaction time compared to Logue. Our mids couldn't slow down the supply to their forwards so that mixed with Logue not really knowing how to read the play spelt disaster. The Cold War was built on having bigger weapons than the opposition. We need a KPF next draft and one in 2 years after. Then bucket loads of blokes that can think quick and kick well with the odd athletic KPD thrown in.

I'm of the opinion that 'gorilla forwards' will get a hold of everyone they play. Ablett Snr, Lockett, Dunstall etc. couldn't be stopped. One of the secrets to these guys was that they were big and fast, like really, really quick over 20m. I think tonygeeks said it about Kennedy's reaction time compared to Logue. Our mids couldn't slow down the supply to their forwards so that mixed with Logue not really knowing how to read the play spelt disaster. The Cold War was built on having bigger weapons than the opposition. We need a KPF next draft and one in 2 years after. Then bucket loads of blokes that can think quick and kick well with the odd athletic KPD thrown in.

So err...we need basically an entire new team?

Not entire, I'd say we have about 16 blokes I am happy with for the next 5-10 years. Some of them aren't good yet but I think will be.

We need quite a few quality KPP players though. Probably 1 KPD and two KPFs.

Fair assessment - mostly just me being negative as there's no doubt we have some quality in the team. In saying that, the midfield is a concern too IMO. Brayshaw and Serong are fantastic but Mundy and Fyfe are carrying us at times and we still have days like yesterday where our defensive running/spread just disappears. Looks even shakier of we lose Cerra.

As always, feels like we're the perpetual "a couple of players" away from being a decent side.

Desperately need Treacy to be a genuine hit and one of Hamling/Pearce to come good.

Fair assessment - mostly just me being negative as there's no doubt we have some quality in the team. In saying that, the midfield is a concern too IMO. Brayshaw and Serong are fantastic but Mundy and Fyfe are carrying us at times and we still have days like yesterday where our defensive running/spread just disappears. Looks even shakier of we lose Cerra.

As always, feels like we're the perpetual "a couple of players" away from being a decent side.

Desperately need Treacy to be a genuine hit and one of Hamling/Pearce to come good.
Yes I think Fyfe and Mundy (Walters less so just because of form) are massive issues because they are a lot better than our next best and have somewhere between 1 and 4 years left (MAX) at that level. That's two top 10 midfielders we need to find soon just to break even.

I don't think the "couple of players" assessment is correct. I just think rebuilds take more like 8-10 years and not 4-5 like everyone else seems to think. This is why I have said since the start that it is unlikely Fyfe and Walters are part of a serious flag push.

I also think that having a quality spine is the way to stay competitive in most games and ours is mediocre. We need to smash the draft for KPPs over the next 3 years or it will become "a couple of players" and I'll be saying that Andy won't be part of a flag push.

Also, we need to stop drafting ****ing HB flankers.

Yes I think Fyfe and Mundy (Walters less so just because of form) are massive issues because they are a lot better than our next best and have somewhere between 1 and 4 years left (MAX) at that level. That's two top 10 midfielders we need to find soon just to break even.

I don't think the "couple of players" assessment is correct. I just think rebuilds take more like 8-10 years and not 4-5 like everyone else seems to think. This is why I have said since the start that it is unlikely Fyfe and Walters are part of a serious flag push.

I also think that having a quality spine is the way to stay competitive in most games and ours is mediocre. We need to smash the draft for KPPs over the next 3 years or it will become "a couple of players" and I'll be saying that Andy won't be part of a flag push.

Also, we need to stop drafting ****ing HB flankers.

Think the key in the statement is looking at being a decent side - at the moment I'd just take a team which was a lock for 6-8th and being competitive every week. I think we'd be far closer to hitting that criteria if you added in, for example, a solid KPF and a KPD capable of taking the oppositions best key forward.

You're right that at this point in time we're much more than a couple of players away from being a premiership contender. Imagine the luxury of having quality KPP stocks and then just gradually filling holes with best-available selections while we worked up the ladder and got games into a talented young core of players.

You've said it before, but that Hogan trade almost single-handedly set us back years.

If we keep Cerra, sign Bolton for our 1st round pick plus Cripps as a free agent are we a top 4 side?

If we aren't, then we need to hit the draft hard and consider trading out players 26 years and above to build our core around our young players.

Worked it out, it actually 1y I am happy with from our 25 and under. The gaping problem though (as I am sure is obvious) is that 3 of the 4 missing are from the spine. We need to sort that **** out.

FB Cox----Logue----Hughes

HB Ryan------------Young

C Frederick----Cerra----Aish

HF Henry------------Sturt

FF Western------------Schultz/Switta

Fol Darcy----Brayshaw----Serong

Int Tucker

Also happy with all of these staying on the list as depth players. Couple might become more than that over time.

Depth: Mitch, Watson, Duman, Giro, Meek, Chapman

If we keep Cerra, sign Bolton for our 1st round pick plus Cripps as a free agent are we a top 4 side?

If we aren't, then we need to hit the draft hard and consider trading out players 26 years and above to build our core around our young players.
Not even close IMO. Our spine is still mediocre. The only worse spines are rebuilding clubs like the Hawks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back