Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully, Day can start to spend more minutes on the wing/mid, as he matures, where we could really use his skills.

I think Frost can play the role of the strong, fast stopper, even in a good team, with those other good users of the ball beside him.

Yep put Impey in Day's spot, we really need Day to develop into a midfielder.

I have got a few contacts at HFC - they confirm this. Anyhow, hopefully he knuckles down now he’s back in the team and works hard to improve. He’s got the talent to stay there, he just needs to put the shoulder to the wheel to become integral. If he succeeds, we will all be happy. 🙃
Can you please question his fitness and effort every week from now on? Seems to be doing the trick!

We need the ball in his hands more given he's one of our best kicks, if not our best.
Seemed like McEvoy, O'Brien and even Gunston went back to give him a bit more freedom. Both he and Impey got up the ground more and both looked great.

The only barrier to elite level form is continuity.
If he plays close to a full season he will be in contention for the AA squad.

Top talent and excellent recruiting by the club.
I wonder if Silicy (or Day) coming back will be the making of him, by releasing him to move further up the ground.

I wonder if Silicy (or Day) coming back will be the making of him, by releasing him to move further up the ground.
Once we have Day and Sicily available we have the great problem of fitting them into the back flanks along with CJ, Scrim, Impey and possibly even Downie.

It will create more opportunity for players to find new roles up the ground, because I just can’t see us leaving any of the first 5 I mentioned above out if they’re fit.*

Scrim and Day would have to be near certainties to get a look up the ground.

*Downie obviously a different kettle of fish at the moment, but may come with a flurry by seasons end.

33 touches vs Saints. Career best game. Seemed to play a bit further up the field too.

A positive out of an otherwise forgettable day
Scrummers is actually having a pretty decent year.

I have always rated him, got so much talent just need to get his body 100% to get continuity of games.

We look a better team with ball in his hands. The penetration and class with his kicking really stands out. It’s actually crazy how few in our team can kick a flat pass consistently. Looks better up the ground rather than deep defence. Can he turn into a mid? Let’s hope so.

We're did he play (as in position wise ) in his TAC years?
If he's played as mid maybe start giving him some minutes there

We're did he play (as in position wise ) in his TAC years?
If he's played as mid maybe start giving him some minutes there
Mobile defender. Always been touted as a Birchall clone.

Even in the junior years he was thought about as an eventual midfielder, but just hasn't happened

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're some big calls.

What makes you think that he could never gain the fitness to play midfield? If you did coach him, it was 5 years ago, after all. He definitely had some injuries which held him back in his junior days,He's had a far few running sessions since then!

What you say about his work ethic might explain why the club haven't selected him at every opportunity, maybe indicating to him that he needs to work harder to become an automatic selection.

But then again we're having this discussion about Scrimshaw, who wouldn't be copping any blame from the coaches about being caught out on a bigger opponent. I don't think Scrim has any tickets on himself as a KPD. It was a total mismatch and Clarko spoke about our lack of preparedness for their talls after the game, and basically said that we misjudged it at selection. Jack is having a good season, and power to him. Hope he proves you wrong.

Definitely part of our future and playing excellent football for us. Room for further development to become genuine A-grade player.

And, I will use this as an opportunity to defend the club just a little bit re. list decisions. Jack was taken with pick 6 or 7 I believe in 2016 draft by GC. So if you are prepared to think about it this way, we picked up a top end first round selection in 2016 - he was just sitting with another club for a couple of years. To me, he is one of our best successes in trade/draft over last few years, and a good example of how we have been able to gather talent through a range of sources. That's a nod to the currently unpopular AC. ;)

I just wish we could do the same to get two fast young midfielders who can use the ball with class...

Jack will never be able to play as a key defensive tall. It’s simply not in his make-up.

He was playing third tall on an 18 year old kid in his first game and was obviously shown up in one-on-ones.

TOB to defence had to happen and it gave Scrimshaw what he wants, freedom to attack.

He isn’t fit enough to play regular midfield, and having coached him 5 seasons ago, I can confidently say he isn’t a natural “grinder” who will work hard to get everything he can out of his body. It’s simply not the way he has been raised or treated growing up.

So you need to understand what you get here. Talent? Yes. Physicality? No. Intensity? Variable.
Hedge with respect, regarding junior coaches of elite talent at U16-U18: there are about 20 of them per player, at any one time. System needs review (but thats another subject) . School, TAC,Nationals, AFL Academy and then you add line coaches at each level. . All have their agenda and often arent aware of injury set backs and instructions by docs from higher ranking teams to go easy. My understanding is scrim was running 14+ beeps (that comes from hard work) at U16 then had hip surgery (out 12 weeks) to prepare for his career, that followed with stress foot fracture from working hard to get back. To still go pick 7 shows some clubs did their homework and others didnt...it happens a lot, they have a lot of kids to review. Interesting to also note Scott Clayton recruited him with Rocket who were both sacked at the end of Scrims first year. I often wondered why the hell they werent playing him, let alone how they thought it was a good idea to let him go at the end of his second. I noticed Scrim running hard in the last minutes vs Saints after 33 poss, so I cant subscribe to your thinking at all, but appreciate how you would get your view. Just an aside, because McGrath was mentioned in an earlier chat here, to me he was a stand out at U16 and didnt make the AFL academy, nor did Taranto. Those kids didnt suddenly improve out of sight in their draft year, they werent noticed earlier or watched carefully enough. They made Metro side but not the AFL academy, yet their talent was always there to be seen.

Hedge with respect, regarding junior coaches of elite talent at U16-U18: there are about 20 of them per player, at any one time. System needs review (but thats another subject) . School, TAC,Nationals, AFL Academy and then you add line coaches at each level. . All have their agenda and often arent aware of injury set backs and instructions by docs from higher ranking teams to go easy. My understanding is scrim was running 14+ beeps (that comes from hard work) at U16 then had hip surgery (out 12 weeks) to prepare for his career, that followed with stress foot fracture from working hard to get back. To still go pick 7 shows some clubs did their homework and others didnt...it happens a lot, they have a lot of kids to review. Interesting to also note Scott Clayton recruited him with Rocket who were both sacked at the end of Scrims first year. I often wondered why the hell they werent playing him, let alone how they thought it was a good idea to let him go at the end of his second. I noticed Scrim running hard in the last minutes vs Saints after 33 poss, so I cant subscribe to your thinking at all, but appreciate how you would get your view. Just an aside, because McGrath was mentioned in an earlier chat here, to me he was a stand out at U16 and didnt make the AFL academy, nor did Taranto. Those kids didnt suddenly improve out of sight in their draft year, they werent noticed earlier or watched carefully enough. They made Metro side but not the AFL academy, yet their talent was always there to be seen.

McGrath and Taranto were relentless with their respective desire to be the best they could be, and both still are. They took rejection from the Academy personally and embarrassed those selectors with their top age years’ performances.

You can’t coach that.

McGrath and Taranto were relentless with their respective desire to be the best they could be, and both still are. They took rejection from the Academy personally and embarrassed those selectors with their top age years’ performances.

You can’t coach that.

Very true but you have to be injury free to train hard and show full capability. Nothing lacking there with all 3 mentioned IMO as demonstrated this season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Had a good game and he's one of our best players under 23, probably 2nd best after Will Day. I still don't think he's the top talent some do on here though, I do think he's a good young player but I'm not sure he'll develop into a bonafide A grader.

Pencil him in for 200 games. Fantastic, long, kick of the footy and his overhead marking has improved each year. He will be a mainstay of our back half.

If he is to become elite though, at 6ft 3, he is going to need to become stronger in the contest and capable of locking down second and third talls. Right now, he is a very good offensive player that needs the right forward, so he isn't exploited one on one. Some of that is simply competitiveness it seems.

Pencil him in for 200 games. Fantastic, long, kick of the footy and his overhead marking has improved each year. He will be a mainstay of our back half.

If he is to become elite though, at 6ft 3, he is going to need to become stronger in the contest and capable of locking down second and third talls. Right now, he is a very good offensive player that needs the right forward, so he isn't exploited one on one. Some of that is simply competitiveness it seems.

Bang on.

Why couldn’t he move to midfield over time (particularly in a more outside or receiver role?). He has good agility, super clean hands, reads play well etc. What’s the concern? If it’s tank that’s fixable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back