Is that the final 8 set?

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
i'm not sold on geelong or west coast as contenders, and my hopes for sydney are based on potential, so i'd have to class all three as somewhat vulnerable in the eight but the question would be who might step up ... again, based on potential, the suns ... carlton and essendon are probably heading in the right direction ... st kilda seem on the brink of injury problems, got several older or just brittle players

and giants seem to be picking up, but not sure about the coach

willydave

All Australian
Oct 25, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jeebus really ?!.

And here was me thinking our pre-bye run was a nightmare with GWS, Melbourne, Eagles, Richmond, Power and the Bulldogs.

First game after the bye we have to play the bloody Tiger again as well !!.
That’s what you get for over achieving... been through that pain.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
And what have North achieved in the past 20 years? Sorry did I say 20 years, meant 96 years...
Why Jasper Pittard? Because his the only type of player your war chest can attract..

North Melbourne supporter having a go at Carlton and it's players. Is like a homeless person picking on Bill Gates..

Enjoy Tassie and your continual AFL handouts
I don't know. I don't follow them. Id only know three players on their list. If you read my signature, it clearly says I live in North Melbourne. I don't actually barrack for them, champ.

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
For me, the jury is still out on Sydney and I would not have a lock on Melbourne just yet either even though they are top. They are 3 games above 9th and have yet to play most of the other in form contenders (look back over recent seasons, Richmond and Geelong were good wins but they tend to be slow starters).

Too early to draw conclusions and I am liking GWS chances as well.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
That’s what you get for over achieving... been through that pain.

Lesson learnt, won’t be doing that again !.

The shambolic fixturing really is a blight on this competition.

The first time we play the Dockers is the very last game of the season. Stoopid.

AdamE89

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
For me, the jury is still out on Sydney and I would not have a lock on Melbourne just yet either even though they are top. They are 3 games above 9th and have yet to play most of the other in form contenders (look back over recent seasons, Richmond and Geelong were good wins but they tend to be slow starters).

Melbourne’s next 3 are swans, blues both at the G, then Crows. Relax, their making the 8.

IMG_2609.JPG

And I fail to see who port have played and beaten? The only sides they’ve played, they lost to, besides an injury depleted Richmond.

IMG_2610.JPG

Dogs for that matter, not much better.

Might be bit harsh on dogs, but Eagles and lions aren’t the same as when at home and beat giants in a midst of awesome form.

But hey, that would be my strongest argument against dogs and it’s not a great one.

And us..

IMG_2611.JPG

While I don’t rate the cats, they are still one of the top 8, the saints, well it was at Etihad and they beat the gws the week before and areal still considered a chance.

Anyway, top 8 lock, top 4 should if not comfortable.

Remind me in how many days??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
This weekends game between Freo and Brisbane is big. Brisbane so they can bank an away win. Freo to show they can beat most sides at home. But I think Freo will just miss out

West Coast with a massive percentage booster this week can finish Round 8 in the top 4 so they look set.

Carlton, GWS, St Kilda have played good footy in patches. Gold Coast look a chance but who knows how they will go over a 22 round season

I would say its Carlton/GWS/St Kilda/Suns/Swans fighting for the last spot in the 8

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Saints percentage before yesterday was horrid, and still is poor. Suns haven’t really progressed from last season. A form Giants is the only side I could see muscling themselves into that 8, but they’ll probably win some tough ones on the road then drop some sitters at home. The rest are 9-12ish types for now.

All depends on whether the Swans can keep the wins rolling in. The other 7 would need to fall in a heap and are all contenders on their day.

Blues (2013*), Dockers (2015) and Suns (never) would all be very hungry to make the cut if they have a sniff in August. But in their present ‘21 shape it ain’t happening.

Last edited:

phill5158

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I looked into the last five years and this is the total of teams that have dropped out of the top 8 after being there after 7 rounds.

2016: nil
2017: 2
2018: 2
2019 4
2020: 1

So therefore an average of just 1.8 so just under 2 teams have dropped out of the top 8 after being there at the end of round 7. This does not mean that it will follow that as we saw in 2019 with 4 teams failing to make the top 8 after being there at the end of round 7.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Melbourne aren’t a lock.

Saints vs GC this week is huge. Willing to rule the loser out of finals contention.
In the 8 by 3 games and 50%

It would have to be one massive fall from grace not to make it from here

Pretty much just ned to go 5-10 for the rest of the year

phill5158

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Melbourne aren’t a lock.

Saints vs GC this week is huge. Willing to rule the loser out of finals contention.
I think Melbourne are safe but I see where you are coming from they are not exactly a team you can 100% trust. In saying that though they do look like a capable side this year and 8 of their next 15 games are against sides currently not in the top 8 and two of those are against my team which realistically speaking is two wins they should get comfortably.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Richmond, Collingwood and Geelong used to have some epic fades in the late 90s/early 00s.

Hawks also had that 8-0 start in 2001 before losing to the 0-17 Dockers in Victoria.

Back