Preview Showdown 49: Round 8, 2021 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

This is exactly what my missus said when we first got together 10 years ago. None of her immedoate or extended family are into sport at all. Our fanaticism is a completely foreign concept to them.

They will never understand why my appearance at a weekend family function is dependent on whether there is a game on at Adelaide Oval. And they don't understand why we get so emotionally invested - when they try to talk to me after a loss there's such a disconnect of values between us.

To me, being a fan of sport in general is my escape from the reality of such a screwed up world. Fandom overrides everything about people in a society, and it can unite people in ways that break down hidden rules and biases within the general population.

As for the game, it's a must win. Win, and win well. We are a much better team than that mob, now it's time to prove it.
My wife’s family is like that, but they got it immediately. One anecdote suffices to illustrate that.

When our first son was born, my wife had complications and remained in the hospital. I had a research grant at the time, so I got my books and stayed with them.

After some days, her mother went to the hospital. She entered the room and said: “Paulo, I came to replace you. I saw that Grêmio plays today. You are going. You need it!

I don’t remember the match. Still, when I got back, I was renovated.

Last edited:
We'll probably get a comfortable lead and then play keepings off in a lacklustre manner with sprinklings of globetrotter moments from guys that were garbage against West Coast & Brisbane.. plug in meh.

I was actually having this exact coversation today. Following sport as a hardcore devotee to a club or team is just about the dumbest, most illogical and most masochistic thing you could think of. Have a think about it. There are 18 teams in this league. Each year 1 prize is awarded. If your team is bang on average (ie you win 1 flag every 18 years) then across a lifetime of 90 years your team will succeed 5 years and fail 85 years. Why do we actually do this?
Spot on. Started following the NRL Sharks in 1974. After a few "almost" years my parents joked we'd never see a premiership in their lifetime. First (and only) flag in 2016, and have since returned to crisis and mediocrity. Sadly my parents' prophecy was correct ☹️.

But on the plus side it's now 17 years since we've hoisted the cup, so it must be due.

It's Showdown time again!

Both teams are coming off disappointing losses, with us going down to Brisbane up at The GABBA and the Crows at home to GWS.

Form:
Port Adelaide:
5-2, 3rd
Adelaide: 3-4, 13th

Currently, the Showdown ledger is locked at 24-24, with us winning the previous two by 57 and 75 points respectively. Let's take a look at the most recent Showdown:

That was an amazing win in an even more amazing jumper, one we should be wearing again this week!

Wouldn't call crows' loss disappointing as they're sh*t and definitely overachieving so far.

Walker: regressing to type
McAdam: SANFL standard
Rowe: SANFL standard
Himmelberg: SANFL standard
Thilthorpe: 12-18 months away
Murphy: SANFL-standard

If they kick anything approaching a winning score we should lock the doors, burn it down and salt the earth.

You've left out the words "McHenry" and "Seaton Ramblers" here.

I feel like we will get one of the most meh showdown wins ever.
If we get a big lead, I want us to put the foot down and not shut up shop like we have against Carlton, St Kilda, North and Essendon but keep going and mentally scar the crows.
That being said after last weeks match there is no guarantee and the crows could put up a good fight.

It is good teams that give us trouble, and the Crows ain't a good team.

I'm usually very "it's a Showdown, anything could happen", and I'm sure that by treating this week so meh I'm setting myself up for a "what happen Power?" weekend, but after attending their game against GWS I really don't see how that lot get within 10 goals of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh. They still thought they would win and that they're all top sh*t. I've been looking forward to sending them crashing back to earth for a few weeks now.
Hawthorn and GWS just did.

We'll be the cherry on top.

If we don't win this one I'll be making an appearance in the 'Sack' thread.

No reason whatsoever to drop points here. None!

The Crows are a terrible football team atm.

I woke up this morning at 5.13 and the first thing I thought was Fantasia, 5 goals.

Thank me later when you collect your winnings ;)

I am :cool:

On the other hand shouting at the judging on Lego Masters is perfectly acceptable...

Its outrageous how it took the mums creation falling apart from them to finally get the bottom spot after some of the their creations.

That being said, the selective judging really did help my favorites dreadlocks and lanky goober when they should've really lost with that grey robot thing so I guess the bias sometimes works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back