Guessing the 15 metre rule

Remove this Banner Ad

goal post width is 6.4m so it's about 2 but we will call it 13m to be generous, side b is 7m at best but prob less

that means the other side is 14.76m correct call play on
Wasn’t the diagram I found on Gerard whateleys desk enough?

0B18D904-3B2E-4003-AC09-4B517BC945D9.png

The kick is in line with the point post on right side.
The mark is taken midway the opposite point post and left goalpost

That is clearly 2 x 6.4m + 3m from where Cameron marked it.

There arent many people arguimg about it not be ing 15. Why are you? The facts are there.

Remember you originally stated sidea was only 7m. Its 10m. The goal squareis 9m long.
Parallax error

The umpire called play on for something. The commentators were speculating that it was not 15m because they couldn't hear it.
To me it sounded like he said touched. The umps are mic'd. Have they spoken to the umpire or isolated the ump's mic to find out what he was calling?
If he called not 15, then fair enough, they got it wrong. If he called touched, then it literally makes no difference how far it went.

Was a shocking one in the Blues v Dons game. Essendon player barely kicked it 9m right near our goals and was allowed as a mark.

No it wasn't. Have gone back and watched it a few times.

It is hard to hear exactly what the ump says, but it is definitely two words repeated twice, not the same word repeated 4 times. It sounds a whole more like "not 15 not 15" than "touched touched touched touched".

Then before the camera angle pans past the ump the ball had cleared the contest and was in the goal square. Ball kicked with 12 seconds to go, ump pans out with 10 seconds. The ump has not made a call, if it was touched they call it almost instantly.

Finally when the ump comes up to Cameron to signal the throw in he doesn't indicate it was touched by tapping one hand against the other. They always do that.
There is footage from behind the goal of the umpire closest to the ball off the boot signalling "touched".

It's unabmiguous unlike the audio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is footage from behind the goal of the umpire closest to the ball off the boot signalling "touched".

It's unabmiguous unlike the audio.
Here is more clear audio;

Very obvious 'play on not 15, play on not 15'

Regarding the umpire signalling touched, that is true but he was signalling touched before the player that kicked the ball even took possession so no idea how he could see into the future or he was signalling something else.

Except of course that it did cos if it was called correctly then geelong probably win. That’s what costing a game is.
Probably win is a huge stretch.

They were cost a shot at goal, but to think Jeremy Cameron kicks that goal from that position, without the ability to run around off the line, is a massive assumption to make.

EDIT: I’d be far more filthy at Tom Hawkins’ effort in the last then any of the umpires. Missed some shots he should have got, and a dropped mark directly in front.

He is a left footer. Would of been fine. Plus there was another 15 seconds on the clock anyway.

Also doesnt explain the non holding the vall decision 20 m out from goal directly in front. The ump was in the motion of calling it but got stage fright when the bell went.

That wasn't holding the ball. If you want to see holding the ball I'd encourage you to watch the brisbane replay where blicavs got spun 720 and then just dropped the ball directly in front goal.

Here is more clear audio;

Very obvious 'play on not 15, play on not 15'

Regarding the umpire signalling touched, that is true but he was signalling touched before the player that kicked the ball even took possession so no idea how he could see into the future or he was signalling something else.

It’s a really weird call by the umpire
Sounds like “touched, play on, touched, play on, not 15, play on, not 15”

It’s a really weird call by the umpire
Sounds like “touched, play on, touched, play on, not 15, play on, not 15”
Sounds like the umpire just didn’t want Geelong to win and was desperately trying to find a reason. It was neither touched nor less then the required distance. not even close.

Even though the AFL admit a fook up, once again this just disguises Chris Scott's ineptitude . This incident did not cost Geelong the game
Some people need to understand what winning a game is. Winning a game means you win by 1 point or more. You don’t need to win by 4 goals plus to win.

Last edited:
That wasn't holding the ball. If you want to see holding the ball I'd encourage you to watch the brisbane replay where blicavs got spun 720 and then just dropped the ball directly in front goal.
Both were clearly holding the ball.

you can’t just dive on the ball and literally do nothing. He didn’t even attempt one of those fake handball attempts that aren’t really attempts but made to look like one. He just sat there stone cold like a deer in the headlights.

ps. The Blicavs holding the ball situation (which was definitely both holding and throwing the ball) only happened cos the umpire didn’t pay a stone cold throw from neale 40 seconds earlier on the back flank. The ball should of been in geelongs fifty instead.

if Both games were umpired correctly in the last 2 mins then Geelong wins both games.

Well you explain it then? You can’t. Has anyone ever seen a kick with that distance and hang time not been a called a mark. I’ve never seen it. I’ve seen ones half the distance paid as marks though.

fairy tale swans win was about to happen. Umpires were spooked.
I believe the kick travelled further than 15m. It has been analysed to death.
I do not know whether or not it was touched, and I’m kind of sure the umpire called touched. I would like to see further analysis and better camera angles of it to find out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back