Preview Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 8th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
So there’s one thing about these games - we haven’t been able to string together back to back wins all season. it’s like backing up our gutsy hard fought wins is too much for us. This is the first time we play seven days after our previous win - we played on a six day break and a five day break previously so there’s nowhere to hide.

the Suns and us have a terrific recent history - we won by three, four, one and two points on our last four encounters and three of those were in qld.

I think we need to give these guys a lot of respect as Collingwood and Sydney did not give them respect and expected to just beat them. They will be tough and there is no chance of us winning if we go in thinking this will be a Walk in the park.

I reckon the Essendon game this year will teach us that very lesson. I feel like we went into that one expecting to just rock up and defeat them which obviously wasn’t the case. Let’s hope they’ve learnt from their Mistake.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Battle 71 TOG, Webster the only one who had fewer at 70 TOG
I don't think that's an excuse for one mark for the game. Byrnes had very similar TOG and took 9 of them.

He's clearly not getting huge game time because we are struggling to find a spot for him.

I've always been a big fan of Battle and haven't liked the way we have played him over the years but it is what it is. He needs to start performing or he's going to find his way out of the side.

No but heights pretty much the only thing you can’t teach. He can learn the rest
No you can't teach height, but being tall doesn't mean you'll excell at any position.

Highmore in for Joyce.
Battle down back too ideally.

Our Ruck combo to crush Gold Coast.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Battle back for Joyce.
DMac to the wing.

Keep Maxy King up the ground more with Membrey/Ryder/Marshall deep. Look way more dangerous when he is out in space does big Winx.

Saints by 4 points.

So there’s one thing about these games - we haven’t been able to string together back to back wins all season. it’s like backing up our gutsy hard fought wins is too much for us. This is the first time we play seven days after our previous win - we played on a six day break and a five day break previously so there’s nowhere to hide.

the Suns and us have a terrific recent history - we won by three, four, one and two points on our last four encounters and three of those were in qld.

I think we need to give these guys a lot of respect as Collingwood and Sydney did not give them respect and expected to just beat them. They will be tough and there is no chance of us winning if we go in thinking this will be a Walk in the park.

I reckon the Essendon game this year will teach us that very lesson. I feel like we went into that one expecting to just rock up and defeat them which obviously wasn’t the case. Let’s hope they’ve learnt from their Mistake.

We hadn't been able to win back to back quarters let alone games.

I don't think that's an excuse for one mark for the game. Byrnes had very similar TOG and took 9 of them.

He's clearly not getting huge game time because we are struggling to find a spot for him.

I've always been a big fan of Battle and haven't liked the way we have played him over the years but it is what it is. He needs to start performing or he's going to find his way out of the side.

No you can't teach height, but being tall doesn't mean you'll excell at any position.
What did we say about Parish for the Bombers last week Amazing what happens when played in right positions

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
What did we say about Parish for the Bombers last week Amazing what happens when played in right positions
100% agree, he's clearly not a wingman.

He is getting time forward every week though.

I find it annoying the way they play him but I think the only way he is going to convince the coaches he has a role to play as a genuine forward is perform when he is forward. I think he did this at times last year (Gold Coast is one that comes to mind) but he hasn't really performed anywhere this year.

The other option is CHB but it seems the coaches don't see him as a defender and I'm not really sure Howard and Battle complement each other.

LiterallyNobody

30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
We hadn't been able to win back to back quarters let alone games.
And now we aren’t last for quarters won since north won two and we won four - we are in nine and they are on eight. Although Collingwood and hawthorn might also be pretty low.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Boy oh boy
Beat an undermanned Hawks and Now we can afford to move Battle on at the end of the year WOW
Perspective is a funny thing - you either have it or.... you’re an idiot. :D

Boy oh boy
Beat an undermanned Hawks and Now we can afford to move Battle on at the end of the year WOW

I think he meant out of the side for the round not traded. We have to find him a spot or we'll waste him. Probably the most frustrating development project we have had under Ratts. He's too talented to rot as a wingman. He looks in idle third tall at either end. Just need to get him one spot and train him up in it. Coffield to a wing and taking his place might work.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Boy oh boy
I'm not convinced Battle is much chop. Too small for a kpp and runs on tram lines. There's lots to like about his kicking and attitude but if he can't hold down a spot then may as well trade while he has currency. Let's face it if he's dropped for Dmac and never settled in a position he'd be looking to move clubs anyway

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Hate to sound like a broken record, but while it may be in Battles interest to play him in a set position, its clearly not in the teams best interest.

If he was the teams 2nd/3rd tall defender/forward option, that's where he would be playing. Can't play as a permanent forward in a line up that includes King Marshall and Membrey.

Struggles to find a spot in defence because its Howard, Wilkie and then one of Carlisle/Battle/Frawley/Joyce/Clavarino.

I'd stick with Darragh for a few games because of his additional height and mobility.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think he meant out of the side for the round not traded. We have to find him a spot or we'll waste him. Probably the most frustrating development project we have had under Ratts. He's too talented to rot as a wingman. He looks in idle third tall at either end. Just need to get him one spot and train him up in it. Coffield to a wing and taking his place might work.
Swapping Coff and Battle sounds a good idea

No someone mentioned risked losing at years end and were fine with that
Everyone has different opinions it’s a forum
But

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
Won’t work as Coffield is probably our only player currently looking like an elite intercept player.

if you rewatch the game, battle gets to all the right positions. He just isn’t clunking anything, at either end at the minute.

the reason they play him on the wing is that they hope his tank allows himto exploit his match ups and work them over. He is just a kid who is out of form.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm not convinced Battle is much chop. Too small for a kpp and runs on tram lines. There's lots to like about his kicking and attitude but if he can't hold down a spot then may as well trade while he has currency. Let's face it if he's dropped for Dmac and never settled in a position he'd be looking to move clubs anyway
I rate him.

He's 5cm taller than Membrey, 2cm taller than Jack Darling and the same height as Jack Gunston. That's the role the suits him best, a heard working forward that gets up and down the ground. Unfortunately for him it's exactly the role that Membrey is playing.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I rate him.

He's 5cm taller than Membrey, 2cm taller than Jack Darling and the same height as Jack Gunston. That's the role the suits him best, a heard working forward that gets up and down the ground. Unfortunately for him it's exactly the role that Membrey is playing.
Well I hope he makes it cos his attitude is great

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
I rate him.

He will learn.

people forget that he was drafted as a key position forward in the juniors. One thing he probably hasn’t got right at AFL level is learning to maximise his attributes. He still chooses to grapple and wrestle when he should stand off protect territory and mark.

it will come. This will be the making of him. Trading him now would be Tom lynch V2

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Hoping we are starting to get the mix correct, Hunter Clark on a wing, Hioll off a HBF are just two examples. Think they are trying to get Battle as the link man so King and even Membry doesn't need to go so far up the ground and help keep our forward structure in the 50 a bit better giving King and Membrey some space to lead into.

It seemed he was the target numerous times on the static transisiton from defence only took one mark but seemed that everything was contested with him from what I saw.
Maybe worth persisting with because if he starts clunking them, it gives our forwards a much better shape in front of the ball.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
He will learn.

people forget that he was drafted as a key position forward in the juniors. One thing he probably hasn’t got right at AFL level is learning to maximise his attributes. He still chooses to grapple and wrestle when he should stand off protect territory and mark.

it will come. This will be the making of him. Trading him now would be Tom lynch V2
I definitely didn't mention trading him, as I said I rate him.

I don't think he'll ever be a wingman though and I agree he's well out of form.

I'd be picking him this week but if his form doesn't improve it might be best for him to go back for a few weeks and play the role that suits him most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back