Changes for Showdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Farrell has had plenty of chances and failed to take them. That's on him.
True, and I've been critical of Farrell in the past, but he's young and if he can start racking up big numbers then he deserves a crack. Today he got big numbers 30+, but more importantly he was incredibly line breaking. So his form is up and he's better than what is currently in the 22, so he should be playing.

Bonner didn’t do anywhere near enough today to get a recall to the 1s… in fact, at times he looked more like 2019/20 Bonner than the inspired wingman from earlier this season.
He needs a couple more games in the 2s before he is ready IMO.
Couldn't disagree with this more. Bonner didn't rack up 30, but everything he did was classy and effective. He laid some sensational tackles and just looked a class above. He should be an immediate in. 24 and a goal, in first game back in 6 weeks was a great return.

Remember what was going on with Amon in his first couple of years... well it just may be similar to Farrell.. he clearly played today with a massive step up in intensity and looked legitimately good... happy to see him get another chance

Farrells afl games were fairly underrated even if he didn’t emerge as a star he was pretty decent

Averaging 10 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 0 goals, 0 goal assists this year.

philthy05 said:
the knock on him has always been his ability to pick up more of the ball. He’s improved that this year.

See above.

philthy05 said:
Did you watch the game today?

Nope, but if I had I'm sure I would've witnessed him perform up to the standards of other SANFL luminaries like Sam Gray, Kane Mitchell, Matt Thomas, Aaron Young, Andrew Moore, Ben Newton and Brendon Ah Chee before him.

Cant replace Marshall with Hayes. Just because they are similar heights doesn't mean they play the same role structurally
Yeah you’re right. Hayes doesn’t drop simple marks in front of goals, or miss sitters at critical times.
Come to think of it, neither do my son’s under-12 team.

Averaging 10 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 0 goals, 0 goal assists this year.

See above.

Nope, but if I had I'm sure I would've witnessed him perform up to the standards of other SANFL luminaries like Sam Gray, Kane Mitchell, Matt Thomas, Aaron Young, Andrew Moore, Ben Newton and Brendon Ah Chee before him.
No that's not the case. He was excellent today. Best game he's played I think.

There's an alternative universe out there where Amon's contract runs out in 2018 rather than 2019 and he gets delisted at the end of '18 and plays out his football career in the VFL. Gee we got lucky there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amon improving dramatically doesn't mean all or most players who don't look up to the level will be able to do the same thing.

Farrell looked so good in that game against GWS last year. He had 19 touches, kicked that long range game sealer and even picked up a Brownlow vote. Since then he's played 10 games - highest possession tally is 11, total goals kicked is 5.

They picked him for the first 2 games this year so clearly they see something in him and want to give him a chance. But at the end of the day, in a team as stacked with wing/half forwards as we are, you actually have to perform.

Amon improving dramatically doesn't mean all or most players who don't look up to the level will be able to do the same thing.

Farrell looked so good in that game against GWS last year. He had 19 touches, kicked that long range game sealer and even picked up a Brownlow vote. Since then he's played 10 games - highest possession tally is 11, total goals kicked is 5.

They picked him for the first 2 games this year so clearly they see something in him and want to give him a chance. But at the end of the day, in a team as stacked with wing/half forwards as we are, you actually have to perform.
Have had plenty of similar sorts over the years, that were sanfl beasts that never translated to afl. I hope im wrong about Farrell I just haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise

Couldn't disagree with this more. Bonner didn't rack up 30, but everything he did was classy and effective. He laid some sensational tackles and just looked a class above. He should be an immediate in. 24 and a goal, in first game back in 6 weeks was a great return.
His goal was a beauty at the end… I just felt he looked disinterested at times and right back to his old self!
He absolutely did some nice things and you are correct, he tackled well today.
Another run in the 2s won’t hurt.

Not many mentioning McKenzie, what does he have to do? Did his 2020 not give him any credits at all? His and rocky’s snubbing when the likes of woodcock, Mayes, and Hartlett have been running around doing fck all has been bizarre.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Have to agree regarding rock and Macca his kicking is elite his kick outs last year were great cleared the centre circle nearly every kick would.offer more then.hartlett ..
Rock was cruled not being picked against Brisbane

Unless Lycett is out Hayes isn’t playing, it’s pretty simple.

McKenzie only comes in to replace Jonas or Clurey. A swap for Hammer makes no sense and throws our balance out.

None of Fredrick, Woodcock, Mayes, Drew and now Hammer command a place on talent or balance/structure and are interchangeable.

Boak is in for Fredrick.

Woodcock, Mayes, Hammer out. Replaced by Farrell, Bonner and Rocky

Remove this Banner Ad

Back