Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troubling philosophies this guy. Without any individual improvement at all, he thinks the total team performance can magically improve. This then leads to the total infatuation with continuity. Also wants our forward entries to be totally predictable. God forbid you hit up the best option ie a free Tex on the 50 because that's a shallow entry. You just gotta go deep no matter what's on.

3B218C0E-096A-4574-B405-85FC051604AA.png

Doesn't his contract expire at the same time as Thilthorpe? and Sholl for that matter?

It's going to be interesting if Nicks is still "rebuilding" then but those two are receiving large offers from actual premiership contenders.

Got to love Bigfooty. One bad loss and it's time to fire the coach :drunk:

It's not the loss, they're expected. It's the comments following the loss. It's not difficult, a very large attachment was included, that's the discussion point. What do you think about only ever going into the 50 deep or shallow? Does that make sense to you? How about individuals not being better but simultaneously improving as a group? Making much sense that we don't finger players to do better? How about you address the post without proving yourself a moronic apologist. This guy just coached us to our first ever spoon, you reckon he's beyond concern?

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerning that there were only a few (and incorrect imo) changes to our inside structure when we were getting murdered all day. The fact that Berry was banished to the forward line when he could apply one of the few things we needed inside was infuriating.

Wonder what the stoppage attended numbers are. Seed is having a good period but he won't be part of our next contending midfield group. Whilst we limit Harry's and Berry's exposure in that area. But it isn't about rebuild, it's about the 4 points on offer on that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we'll regret it as such. But it's unlikely that he has the edge required to win a flag. He's a bridge, not the end game.

If he's a bridge he's a makeshift one. A log we've thrown over the trench rather than anything of quality.

"Got To Love Bigfooty"

only been here a few months.

Yeah that doesn't smell of an alt account at all. How about sacking up and posting with your main?

There's enough apologists that are sticking phat, you wouldn't think they'd need to add alias'. I guess the preparedness to speak out has diminished, so the resolute might think it necessary to add accounts.

This is probably true. I've been claiming Nicks' coaching is a unique problem in addition to the rest of Adelaide's problems since early last season so it may very well have been after "one bad loss".
Nick's is not improving the group but tbh he doesn't have a lot to work with. It's very hard to gauge his performance with such a poor list but I haven't liked what I have seen from him for a while. He is one of many problems but the most critical problem is our list management and recruiting which urgently need to be fixed. Nick's is a coach that fits inline with the Riccuito, Fagan, Chapman philosophy. Will likely be around for another 2-3 years before being sacked. I actually feel sorry for the guy that he has such a bad list but no one forced him to take the job. He knew what he was getting into.

Nick's is not improving the group but tbh he doesn't have a lot to work with. It's very hard to gauge his performance with such a poor list but I haven't liked what I have seen from him for a while. He is one of many problems but the most critical problem is our list management and recruiting which urgently need to be fixed. Nick's is a coach that fits inline with the Riccuito, Fagan, Chapman philosophy. Will likely be around for another 2-3 years before being sacked. I actually feel sorry for the guy that he has such a bad list but no one forced him to take the job. He knew what he was getting into.

I don't disagree with alot of that. I don't think he is up to it and hasn't really shown much to suggest he will improve the group. He got off very lightly last year due to Covid.

I have a bad feeling the club will extend him though. If we fast forward 12 months it's hard to see us being any better off but there will be pressure and scrutiny to extend him. I have no faith in guys like Roo to make the right decision.

I wouldn't put it past the club that if we sneak a few late wins this season against some average teams that they will give him two more years.

I heard on the radio apparently Nick's called yesterday unacceptable.

I haven't heard that from him though. Was that actually his words?

That was in regards to GWS getting their injury sub on so quick after their player was ruled out, it was like he was ready and not injured himself - he thought that was unacceptable.

He reminds me of a mix of 2013/2014 Sanderson (put in an impossible situation that wasn't his fault, but also thought that would let him cruise on low expectations) and Eade era Gold Coast (Ostensibly "rebuilding" and/or implementing "cultural change" but ultimately achieving nothing and leaving the club in a worse place, because the main KPIs were not football related.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back