AFL Autopsy Rnd 7: Done by the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to play inside to be at his best and hard with Cripps, Curnow etc

Essendon should have got him instead of Shiel, would have been cheaper and suited your midfield well, plus he wanted to go there.

Selection is a bit bizarre from what I can tell.

Setting up too light in the middle, even with something approaching a best team, playing inside mids on flanks and wings.

It seems the cart has been put before the horse with a lot of it, looking to add versatility to players before they've established themselves. If I was a Carlton supporter I'd be struggling to understand why Stocker is in defence (where he doesn't have the pace to be that effective 1v1 against players his size) and Setterfield is being used on a wing and at half back when Williamson is in the twos (he was very good against us and is a good player) and Williams is on ball (when his best assets are run and ball use - not pretending he has the body to wear all of the contact that happens inside).

There is a very good, very well balanced 22 that can be picked from the Carlton list but it's been over complicated. There is a massive irony in that given the way Carlton defends generally, you'd think having the strength at the coal face and ability to counter would be a much better fit.

EDBDB00-A-FCC0-442-A-9259-3-E0-A43-EC2-E3-A.gif

Cox on Sidebottom last week, Smith on Saad this week. Who's playing at GWS that we dislike?

677 meters gained

Saad played a decent game, but at least one of his goals was Smith running off leaving him undefended while he got the handball and some clear space for a shot on goal.

Thought generally they played Saad well, we're not a dangerous enough side that we can force him to play a fully defensive role.

McGrath had 713m gained as well.

I reckon Dow going off worked in Carlton's favour. SPS was very good in the 2nd half and offered way more than i believe Dow would've.

SPS has been very poor all year, so of course the time he's on as a sub is by far the best game he's played all year.

Mostly, it was our turnovers that killed us. Quite a few times we'd done all the hard work then totally muffed it. Stringer kicking to a 2 on 1 in our forwardline and managing to hit Liam Jones on the chest for example. Perkins goal radar is still off, espeically for a guy who's played all their underage football as a forward.

Also umpiring. A few absolute howlers gifted them some shots on goal when the game was in the balance. We're not (yet) a good enough side to wear those the way a Richmond can.

Not comfortable with all this losing to teams with ex-players on them only validating their reasons for leaving.

Still, as much as I dislike losing to the Blues, this loss didn't have the same weight behind it as others in the past have felt. I'd normally take this loss and hold onto it for the entire week. Not this year it seems. It might have something to do with the wonderful youth coming through, along with the emergence of players like Laverde.

This hope is gonna kill me....

Marchbank, De Konning, Curnow and even JSOS are speculative. We are missing Hurley, Shiel, Caldwell and Draper.
I dunno, a good win for Carlton but you are a long way off the top 6 or so teams. Cannot understand why Setterfield isn’t playing. Surely he is the future and you pump games into him.

JSOS, De Koning and Curnow are not speculative, they walk into the side a replace others without question.

JSOS, De Koning and Curnow are not speculative, they walk into the side a replace others without question.

TDK has literally played 9 career games and kicked 1 goal. The amount of times he's talked up as an automatic improvement to Carlton's best side now is mind boggling. He's got some talent, and as a young tall, would be one to look for in the future.

Curnow is becoming Daniher of 2017 - 2020. A white whale that hasn't played for two years now.

Williams & Martin are actual proven quality, but guys like Cunningham & Owies played well above expectations, so it's not as though there's as much lost in reality as on paper. Cunningham's stat line was basically as good as anything Williams has produced this year.

For a side that's topping up, Carlton seem very Essendon 2017-ish.

Game reminded me of one we played against GWS a few years back when their kids were starting out. Made a contest of it for a half before fading out in the second. Rapt with Jones performance, showed why he should be persisted with for more than one or two quiet performances. Perkins was solid, though Cox was quiet IMO. Bryan showed glimpes and overall I though he was ok for a debut game. Lot to like about the kids.

Go Bombers!

* Carlton.

Negatives - Poor skill errors, McGrath's worst game as a midfielder (29 ineffective touches) and playing an underdone Stewart.

Positives - Truck wasn't creating spin when he said he wants us to be a blue collar, reliable team. We are definitely working to that promise. Lead nearly every major stat vs the Scum other than total points.

THESE KIDS!!!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Disappointed to lose but just not quite the polish and a little too loose on the rebound from attack.

But these kids holee amazeballs!!!

You add Dunks and another mid and the future is bright!
someone mentioned in the main board thread about adding Dunks & Billings.
Tell me that's not the stuff of dreams

Draper/Bryan
Shiel Merrett Parish McGrath Dunks Billings Cox Perkins
With Stringer popping in for the centre bounces.
Oh, and a top 5 pick in a midfield superdraft.

Yes please :)

Draper/Bryan

I'm okay without Billings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper/Bryan

Tbh I think it would be pretty irresponsible to trade away our first round picks right now. Look at the impact our kids are having.

Kind of funny. We lost, and the Blues got the win they needed to have.

But the media is still focusing on us and how good our future is looking.

I was furious at some of the decisions yesterday (both the umpiring and our players) but thinking over it, so many good highlights from the kids. Perkins, Jones, Cox and Bryan.

Kind of keen to see how Baldwin progresses.

Selection is a bit bizarre from what I can tell.

Setting up too light in the middle, even with something approaching a best team, playing inside mids on flanks and wings.

It seems the cart has been put before the horse with a lot of it, looking to add versatility to players before they've established themselves. If I was a Carlton supporter I'd be struggling to understand why Stocker is in defence (where he doesn't have the pace to be that effective 1v1 against players his size) and Setterfield is being used on a wing and at half back when Williamson is in the twos (he was very good against us and is a good player) and Williams is on ball (when his best assets are run and ball use - not pretending he has the body to wear all of the contact that happens inside).

There is a very good, very well balanced 22 that can be picked from the Carlton list but it's been over complicated. There is a massive irony in that given the way Carlton defends generally, you'd think having the strength at the coal face and ability to counter would be a much better fit.
Exactly right, was highly impressed with the Essendon younger guys. Hopefully we enjoy some fierce contests in the near future instead of these constant bottom 4/6 'battles'.

Read some stuff about Smith letting Saad goal and it being defensively poor.

From my memory there was another player heading into the 50 on the right side of the kicker that Smith decided to run with to ensure that the short kick wasn't on.
He actually turned and pointed at Saad to make sure Stringer was switched on and guarding him.
Jake let him get goal side of him, with no touch and was flat footed.

That goal was on Jake and not Smith imo.

From my memory there was another player heading into the 50 on the right side of the kicker that Smith decided to run with to ensure that the short kick wasn't on.
He actually turned and pointed at Saad to make sure Stringer was switched on and guarding him.

I think it was a bit of both.

Smith let him go as he was running to receive the handball.

Smith let him go as he was running to receive the handball.

He went to go man up the other player and then Saad went because Dev had moved.
He did the right thing and even told Stringer to be switched on.

Marchbank, De Konning, Curnow and even JSOS are speculative. We are missing Hurley, Shiel, Caldwell and Draper.
I dunno, a good win for Carlton but you are a long way off the top 6 or so teams. Cannot understand why Setterfield isn’t playing. Surely he is the future and you pump games into him.
It is interesting how you view Draper as an out but De Koning is speculative. Draper has played 1 more game. To me they are both injury prone promising future rucks at pretty much the same points in their careers.

I'm okay without Billings
Yeah this.

Dunkley is a big yes please, but I'm happy without Billings.
never been the biggest fan of Billings, but sometimes i cede points in that i may be missing something/or his good games given i don't watch StK much.
Much like Fyfe/Freo....i have never seen Fyfe play a truly elite game, but then i've maybe watched 10-15 freo games in my lifetime.

Tbh I think it would be pretty irresponsible to trade away our first round picks right now. Look at the impact our kids are having.
Agree. If anything, i'd look to trade 2022 1st for a couple of later ones in this draft.

It is interesting how you view Draper as an out but De Koning is speculative. Draper has played 1 more game. To me they are both injury prone promising future rucks at pretty much the same points in their careers.

Pretty big difference when you consider Draper’s replacement is also injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back