Preview Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 8th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping we are starting to get the mix correct, Hunter Clark on a wing, Hioll off a HBF are just two examples. Think they are trying to get Battle as the link man so King and even Membry doesn't need to go so far up the ground and help keep our forward structure in the 50 a bit better giving King and Membrey some space to lead into.

It seemed he was the target numerous times on the static transisiton from defence only took one mark but seemed that everything was contested with him from what I saw.
Maybe worth persisting with because if he starts clunking them, it gives our forwards a much better shape in front of the ball.
It's really hard to judge how well the changes we made to our structure worked because we were just so dominant in the midfield.

I honestly think with dominance like that anything we tried woukd have worked, including keeping 3 small forwards and Hill on a wing.

I'm interested in seeing how those moves work when our mids are under the pump.

Not saying they werent good moves, but everything is easier when your mids are playing like that.

Hoping we are starting to get the mix correct, Hunter Clark on a wing, Hioll off a HBF are just two examples. Think they are trying to get Battle as the link man so King and even Membry doesn't need to go so far up the ground and help keep our forward structure in the 50 a bit better giving King and Membrey some space to lead into.

It seemed he was the target numerous times on the static transisiton from defence only took one mark but seemed that everything was contested with him from what I saw.
Maybe worth persisting with because if he starts clunking them, it gives our forwards a much better shape in front of the ball.
I thought the way we rotated Clark through HB wing and middle was so good
And when on the wing it just suited him

Remember last week when Jones should have been dropped and Hill should be traded?

Form comes back quickly. Battle will turn it around and when he starts clunking marks he will be an enormous asset.
I remember a poster on here saying that the best way for them to get their form back (especially Hill) was to play them in the main team - it’s not worth it finding form in the VFL and then coming back and being rubbish here again.

but we’ve seen this story before. It’s all about backing it up - something we have struggled to do. At least we are up against a team that is relatively on our level too whereas last time we backed up our big win with games against the reigning back to back premiers and the reigning minor premiers.

I remember a poster on here saying that the best way for them to get their form back (especially Hill) was to play them in the main team - it’s not worth it finding form in the VFL and then coming back and being rubbish here again.

but we’ve seen this story before. It’s all about backing it up - something we have struggled to do. At least we are up against a team that is relatively on our level too whereas last time we backed up our big win with games against the reigning back to back premiers and the reigning minor premiers.
That was me.

Not saying they werent good moves, but everything is easier when your mids are playing like that.

Yes, quite simply, everything is down to the mids influence. No co incidence our mids look much better when Paddy ad Ro are rucking and Jones is given a bit of leeway. Seemed Steele had the hard tag, and that help Jones get off the leash, with Crouch and Bytel giving us some drive from the inside.

You are correct, the bottom sides don't pressure like the top eight teams (which is obvious, they are poor and good for a reason). the move of Hill off a HBF looks much better when we control the ball and he has a bit of space, same with Clark off a wing. Much more space.

When a team like a Geelong, deprive us the ball and can zone back quickly so we are bombing it into he 50, mop up and then possess, we will see how it works.
If Battle can get to those second kick from defence contests and start to clunk them, that tactic can be overcome and our forwards aren't outmanned when it comes back in. Maybe it's a long term strategy for Josh. If us mug punters can see how a gamplan can stifle ours, I am pretty sure the coaches can see it.

Yes, quite simply, everything is down to the mids influence. No co incidence our mids look much better when Paddy ad Ro are rucking and Jones is given a bit of leeway. Seemed Steele had the hard tag, and that help Jones get off the leash, with Crouch and Bytel giving us some drive from the inside.

You are correct, the bottom sides don't pressure like the top eight teams (which is obvious, they are poor and good for a reason). the move of Hill off a HBF looks much better when we control the ball and he has a bit of space, same with Clark off a wing. Much more space.

When a team like a Geelong, deprive us the ball and can zone back quickly so we are bombing it into he 50, mop up and then possess, we will see how it works.
If Battle can get to those second kick from defence contests and start to clunk them, that tactic can be overcome and our forwards aren't outmanned when it comes back in. Maybe it's a long term strategy for Josh. If us mug punters can see how a gamplan can stifle ours, I am pretty sure the coaches can see it.
There was 1 fundamental change to our game plan - you have to credit coaching for it. Because they have obviously watched tape and seen the best sides do it.

the quarter back receiving 15m off the back of the play and using the fat side to spread the congestion and allow the runners through the middle and space up forward for the talls.

He got his hands to a lot of them, just couldn't bring them down but at least wasn't out marked either. But he was getting to the right spots so keep that up and he will hit the scoreboard over the next few weeks.

Always seemed to be in a 2 on 1 as well, so if two defenders are following him then someone else is free so he would be doing his job.

There was 1 fundamental change to our game plan - you have to credit coaching for it. Because they have obviously watched tape and seen the best sides do it.

the quarter back receiving 15m off the back of the play and using the fat side to spread the congestion and allow the runners through the middle and space up forward for the talls.
This is something we coach at country level. Unfortunately at the top level though the good sides work it out and are able to zone off the whole ground.

It worked great against the Hawks and I love seeing us making changes to the way we play but it's another style that can be worked out against good sides if our mids aren't right on top.

It's just hard to take anything out of that game when our mids dominated so much, but hopefully the changes we are making helps us against the good sides.

This is something we coach at country level. Unfortunately at the top level though the good sides work it out and are able to zone off the whole ground.

It worked great against the Hawks and I love seeing us making changes to the way we play but it's another style that can be worked out against good sides if our mids aren't right on top.

It's just hard to take anything out of that game when our mids dominated so much, but hopefully the changes we are making helps us against the good sides.
Yes you are right.

however it is something different to what we have done for The 6 weeks prior.
So I will praise them for trying something different and obviously it will have to be backed up this week to prove we are on the up and learning. Which is why I’m hesitant on giving all these plaudits.

Good win back it up and move on.

I agree it's hard to judge because hawks were just terrible. We made the bombers look like stars a few weeks ago.

There were some really good signs though... the Hill and Hunter moves etc.

I want us to put gold coast to the sword this weekend and look like the team that is carrying on where we left off last year.

Look a wins a win. Even if it was against a poor Hawks side.
What the boys should gain from the cohesion and confidence taken from the game should be invaluable.
I say should......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King and Battle both have the same issues with clunking the ball. The good thing is they don’t out marked often, they usually provide a good contest. We’ve to remember they are like 3rd and 5th year into their careers.

My only concern is Battles career is following in the same pattern as Acres. Not a consistent position, it’s going to start hurting soon.

It’s only time a club who needs a KPP comes knocking, and i won’t be surprised if it’s this off-season.

Really need to back up against GC. They played a decent brand against the filth who played at a level similar to Hawthorn really.

The GC backline wasn't really tested. We just must win this game.

I know its a one week at a time deal, but I am really curious to see how we handle Geelong. We all know that they will play the uncontested keepings off game ala' Port Adelaide. They touched us up with it last year also.

After re watching the hawks game, I noticed battle a lot more. He was crashing packs, putting pressure on. Must have been the best 8 disposal game anyone's ever had. Agree he needs to do a little more but don't think he was as missing as I previously thought

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
A few weeks ago I watched Eddie Betts have a four disposal game where he never stopped running, chasing pressuring and playing a clear role allowing Harry McKay to kick a bag - he only kicked one goal but sometimes it’s not about what you can see them doing but what they do in the background. Like when Max doesn’t kick the goals but gets the ball to ground so our forwards can run onto them. Battle played a similar role on the weekend. The sort of game where his role was far more vital than stats will tell you.

I'm not convinced Battle is much chop. Too small for a kpp and runs on tram lines. There's lots to like about his kicking and attitude but if he can't hold down a spot then may as well trade while he has currency. Let's face it if he's dropped for Dmac and never settled in a position he'd be looking to move clubs anyway
How can he be too small if Jack Riewoldt is good enough for Richmond who seem to have done alright

After re watching the hawks game, I noticed battle a lot more. He was crashing packs, putting pressure on. Must have been the best 8 disposal game anyone's ever had. Agree he needs to do a little more but don't think he was as missing as I previously thought

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
A few weeks ago I watched Eddie Betts have a four disposal game where he never stopped running, chasing pressuring and playing a clear role allowing Harry McKay to kick a bag - he only kicked one goal but sometimes it’s not about what you can see them doing but what they do in the background. Like when Max doesn’t kick the goals but gets the ball to ground so our forwards can run onto them. Battle played a similar role on the weekend. The sort of game where his role was far more vital than stats will tell you.

only watched the game once myself but I was about to post this on the back of some of the battle not pulling his weight comments.

I noticed him a lot, not taking cheap possessions but putting his body on the line, crashing packs,bringing the ball to ground, punching it over the boundary creating stoppages.

quite possible the coaches have asked him to play a role that involved stopping clean intercept marks/quick transition from defence, in which case they are probably very happy with how he went.

If the Saints keep DMac & lose Battle because we've played him out of position, I'll vomit my guts out!

One has skill and can Footy!

I agree to a point but DMac has been good this year. Couldn't do much more than he's doing. He's probably the only player in the side that could claim to be playing at 100% capacity with both work rate and skills. His kicking has improved out of sight as has his composure. DMac is probably a depth player that has earned his spot in the current side, Battle is a developing tall that is struggling to cement his spot at the moment but has time on his side. There is something very Geary like about DMac, nice bloke, hard worker, lacks skills but you know he'll try his arse off and eventually will earn some respect for it.

It's really hard to judge how well the changes we made to our structure worked because we were just so dominant in the midfield.

I honestly think with dominance like that anything we tried woukd have worked, including keeping 3 small forwards and Hill on a wing.

I'm interested in seeing how those moves work when our mids are under the pump.

And everything is easier for the mids when Ryder feeds them, everything is easier for the defence when the mids stand up and the forward line is harder to contain with cleaner entry and Marshall stretching the defence of the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back