List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Rags_118

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Blacks, West Ham, Rangers
Ultimately you need both... but there is very little to no need for a developing kid, when we have ROB who is 25yo and only in his 2nd year as a full-time lead ruckman.

The time for a developing/high ceiling ruckman will come in the years before we expect ROB to finish, allowing sufficient time (4-5 years) for development, so the kid is ready to take over when ROB is heading off into the sunset. That time is not now.

Don’t agree. ROB is an average knock ruckman, excellent contested mark and has below average ball skills. His high mobility and endurance sees him rise to as a 6/10 player.

While he’s good enough to play for another 5+ years at AFL level, an upgrade would be nice for a team that is pushing for Top 6 within 3-4 years. Hence we need both a low cost fill-in like Strachan that no other club will pinch, and a young development ruckman with the potential to be really good. Ideally another Dean Cox off the rookie list!

Don’t agree. ROB is an average knock ruckman, excellent contested mark and has below average ball skills. His high mobility and endurance sees him rise to as a 6/10 player.

While he’s good enough to play for another 5+ years at AFL level, an upgrade would be nice for a team that is pushing for Top 6 within 3-4 years. Hence we need both a low cost fill-in like Strachan that no other club will pinch, and a young development ruckman with the potential to be really good. Ideally another Dean Cox off the rookie list!

Rucks really isn't that important of a position for any assault upwards (it's been grossly overrated in the past few years), and ROB does impact around the ground which is the main thing out of that role. You wouldn't be disappointed with an upgrade at this point, but definitely shouldn't be a focus. It's all on who we surround ROB with.

I'd be developing a young ruck just in case the unthinkable happens, which is ROB goes down with a career ending injury, or really just falls into a hole form wise in 2-3 years. I'd rather we don't go out to get a pinch hit ruckman just yet, and just opt to use Frampton in the role for next year (or two years, depending on who we get as a developing ruck). We have him contracted for another year, he seems like an good character and really it gives a ruck/forward to pinch hit which would allow whoever we draft to get a lot of ruck time in the SANFL.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Let's say Collingwood would do Grundy for ROB, straight up.

Would you do it?

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
DRAFT PICKS
Adelaide Crows Round 1
Adelaide Crows Round 2
Melbourne Round 2
Adelaide Round 4
Fremantle Round 4

TRADE
Elliot Himmelberg

UNCONTRACTED RE-SIGN
Taylor Walker
Darcy Fogarty
Paul Seedsman
Tom Doedee
Lachlan Murphy

UNCONTRACTED MOVE TO ROOKIE LIST
Tom Lynch
Lachlan Gollant
Nick Murray (R)

UNCONTRACTED RELEASED
Daniel Talia
Matthew Crouch
Jake Kelly
Ronin O'Connor
Tyson Stengle

UNCONTRACTED ROOKIES RELEASED
Ben Davis (R)
Kieran Strachan (R)
David Mackay (R)

CAT B RELEASED
James Borlase (Cat B)

TRADE TARGETS
Dylan Stephens, Pat Lipinski, Sam Petrovski-Seton, Callum Coleman-Jones

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
DRAFT PICKS
Adelaide Crows Round 1
Adelaide Crows Round 2
Melbourne Round 2
Adelaide Round 4
Fremantle Round 4

TRADE
Elliot Himmelberg

UNCONTRACTED RE-SIGN
Taylor Walker
Darcy Fogarty
Paul Seedsman
Tom Doedee
Lachlan Murphy

Tom Lynch
Lachlan Gollant
Nick Murray (R)

UNCONTRACTED RELEASED
Daniel Talia
Matthew Crouch
Jake Kelly
Ronin O'Connor
Tyson Stengle

Ben Davis (R)
Kieran Strachan (R)
David Mackay (R)

CAT B RELEASED
James Borlase (Cat B)

TRADE TARGETS

By the end of the year I doubt Tex is in the retain category, will be totally shot because it's highly unlikely they'll manage him at all. Lynch is done now and if we're worried about losing leadership/experience, it'd be Talia by the length of the Flemington straight that I'd be retaining. But Tex might get the Thommo extension as long as he's prepared to play 2s. At least retaining him won't cost us a player like Lyons in a year we made a GF and were forced to play injured Greenwood. Cap space shouldn't be an issue.

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
DRAFT PICKS
Adelaide Crows Round 1
Adelaide Crows Round 2
Melbourne Round 2
Adelaide Round 4
Fremantle Round 4

TRADE
Elliot Himmelberg

UNCONTRACTED RE-SIGN
Taylor Walker
Darcy Fogarty
Paul Seedsman
Tom Doedee
Lachlan Murphy

Tom Lynch
Lachlan Gollant
Nick Murray (R)

UNCONTRACTED RELEASED
Daniel Talia
Matthew Crouch
Jake Kelly
Ronin O'Connor
Tyson Stengle

Ben Davis (R)
Kieran Strachan (R)
David Mackay (R)

CAT B RELEASED
James Borlase (Cat B)

TRADE TARGETS

You're sending 9 players out but only bringing 5 in?

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I just listed the current draft picks that we have - I'm also assuming a couple of trades,which could involve picks coming in or could use future picks.

I don't think we do nine players, no. Just putting it up to start some conversation.

I'm also assuming we take two to three players in the mid-season draft as well, so they should be included on the "brought in" list.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
By the end of the year I doubt Tex is in the retain category, will be totally shot because it's highly unlikely they'll manage him at all. Lynch is done now and if we're worried about losing leadership/experience, it'd be Talia by the length of the Flemington straight that I'd be retaining. But Tex might get the Thommo extension as long as he's prepared to play 2s. At least retaining him won't cost us a player like Lyons in a year we made a GF and were forced to play injured Greenwood. Cap space shouldn't be an issue.
The funny thing about Lynch, he's ALWAYS mentioned by other players as someone who is a key leader around the club. He seems like one of the best in the AFL in that capacity - which maybe means he goes somewhere else too.

Personally, I think Lynch plays SANFL almost exclusively next year, and Tex tries to get one more year out of his body at the top level, and probably struggles.

Talia maybe deserves a chance to go elsewhere, but could stay as well.

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
DRAFT PICKS
Adelaide Crows Round 1
Adelaide Crows Round 2
Melbourne Round 2
Adelaide Round 4
Fremantle Round 4

TRADE
Elliot Himmelberg

UNCONTRACTED RE-SIGN
Taylor Walker
Darcy Fogarty
Paul Seedsman
Tom Doedee
Lachlan Murphy

Tom Lynch
Lachlan Gollant
Nick Murray (R)

UNCONTRACTED RELEASED
Daniel Talia
Matthew Crouch
Jake Kelly
Ronin O'Connor
Tyson Stengle

Ben Davis (R)
Kieran Strachan (R)
David Mackay (R)

CAT B RELEASED
James Borlase (Cat B)

TRADE TARGETS
You obviously didn't see O'Connor play yesterday. Making big strides...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers

Would you do it?
With Grundy's salary I'd have to say no.

On the weekend against GC, Grundy had 37 hitouts. Cameron had 13.
The entire GC team had 13 hitouts.
Yet GC won by 4 goals.

Hitouts are massively overrated.

For a million dollars a year, I'd rather have an elite midfielder.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Would you do it?
While on the surface you would always want the superior player which is Grundy hands down, but at the start of 2022 Grundy will be 28 with 180ish games under his belt, compared to ROB's 26 with 60ish games under his belt. If we did make that trade the best case scenario would probably be 80 games where Grundy is the superior player to ROB before father time takes another scalp (but in reality it's probably closer to 40 or 50 given the miles in Grundy's legs vs those of ROB).

TBH, I'm not sure it would be worth the extra $700k/year. Feel like that would be better placed elsewhere

You'd get an FA pick for Crouch at least. Probably Kelly at this rate as well.

I'm a tad hesitant cutting that deep this year, we don't exactly need to rebuild our youth stocks.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers

Would you do it?
Yep.. even if we had to pay grundy just a little more than ROB is already on.

ROB is great but grundy is far better.

And ROB this year has been up and down.. unbelievably clumbsy too.. If I had a dollar for everytime he’d clumbsily stumbled into the path of one of our mids this season who has the ball and was about to run away from the pack with it...

ROB is at his best with his second and third efforts and his intercept marking around the ground..

His disposal and decision making at times is d-grade.

CrowBox89

Debutant
Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
IMO CCJ (Coleman-Jones) is the one we need to go hard for, OOC end of season, tigers have 4-5 rucks on their list stuck behind nank in ruck and lynch and Riewoldt forward. Very mobile, can clunk a pack mark and can be a threat up forward, he’s in his 4th season now and is ready to go. Solves the ruck/fwd forward issue as neither frampton or himmelberg seem up to it on a consistent basis. I could see him going past ROB very quickly. Averaging 17 touches 18 hit outs 7 marks and just over a goal a game in the VFL this year.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
IMO CCJ (Coleman-Jones) is the one we need to go hard for, OOC end of season, tigers have 4-5 rucks on their list stuck behind nank in ruck and lynch and Riewoldt forward. Very mobile, can clunk a pack mark and can be a threat up forward, he’s in his 4th season now and is ready to go. Solves the ruck/fwd forward issue as neither frampton or himmelberg seem up to it on a consistent basis. I could see him going past ROB very quickly. Averaging 17 touches 18 hit outs 7 marks and just over a goal a game in the VFL this year.

But we get rid of bad boys: we don't bring them in. ;)

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
You obviously didn't see O'Connor play yesterday. Making big strides...
I watched every second of that game and commented that it was the best he's looked.

Personally, I think we have to keep making decent cuts into our list, and he doesn't seem to have AFL weapons.

Hope he proves me wrong but I also hope we don't keep him around for five years before realising it if he doesn't.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I did try to tell Kristof weeks ago not to write Ronin off, maybe he's starting to finally come around?
Maybe - as I said above, it was the best game he's played.

I still don't see anything he does at an elite level, though. Seems like a good citizen who would be a great local level footballer. I feel he was taken later for a reason.

Back