Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 8 vs. North Melbourne, MRVL Sat 08/05 @ 4:35 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cox is decent but not good enough, isn’t the future at 30 and is on too much for his output. He’s better served at a club that’s challenging.

He is actually someone who would thrive at a better club who either needs a ruck or and 2nd ruck come fwd that has good ball movement and clean skills. May even get a 2nd for him if someone with half decent negotiating skills is involved.

The Kennedy and Broomhead draft we didn't miss on anyone really. Look who went after.. horrible draft. Membry the only player I would take. Maybe Clurey. It was a sh*t draft to have 3 picks inside 20.

The Scharenberg/Freeman draft was the most costly. Thinking we had Bont and Doggies change their pick late and take him at 4.

Players like Salem, Cripps, Merret there.

Stephenson, I don't think he is a bust.
That was a list management fail imo and a coaching failure to not tap into his potential and fix his off field issues.

Stephenson is a bust for where our list was at kpp wise and that Naughton is a clearly better player.

He has done nothing up fwd in the vfl in fact had been getting a bath in his last game, it wasn't until he went into the ruck he got involved.

Cox if trained up would be a quality and good ruckman for an afl side who can rest fwd and be dangerous on occasions.

Unfortunately at Collingwood that won't happen behind the hit out directionally challenged Grundy. Bit of sarcasm there before the inevitable tears re Grundy.

I've been more than happy with his performances at VFL level since he was demoted. Playing more as the 2nd ruck / KPF role than he get to play at senior level.

Stephenson is a bust for where our list was at kpp wise and that Naughton is a clearly better player.

When you have a top 6 pick you always take best available.

Speaking with someone in the Lions recruitment team prior to the draft, they even believed Stephenson was top 2, potentially Pick 1 but they didn't like the uncertainty of his heart condition.

The hyperbole about Cox is amazing. Our VFL forward line lacked any real presence in the air other than Henry. Moyle and Lynch battled hard but Cox would have been a huge inclusion into that side.
With Cox in the side, it would have taken the focus away from Henry, impacting his development. No coincidence that Henry played his best game with Cox out.of.the side.

Even with all the doom and gloom that comes with losing and Buck's irresolute behavior, CFC have posted some wins:

- Daicos' midfield work has been refreshing and something to build on going forward.
- McCreery too, has been very good, wouldn't mind seeing him in the odd centre bounce.
- Murphy's courage and form shows that there are options out there even though Bucks doesn't seem to think so. Needs to clean up his kicking which will come with games.
- Also, Cameron has been solid, let himself down with his goal kicking on the week end, 2 goals against his name with the 15 possessions is a solid game, worthy of more opportunity.

Quaynors' form has been A grade, his foot skills have let him down, especially forward fifty entres, he's better than that.

This is not a reset, it's a full on rebuild...Therefore, I'm an advocate for change, I think CFC should stick with Darcy forward for the rest of the season, the horse has bolted and they need to develop an new backline and midfield based on youth. Daicos, Quaynor, Sier, Rantell, Bianco, Brown boys, Murphy, Kelly, Wilson, Ruscoe and Keane should be the building blocks of the rebuild going forward for the rest of the year.

What I would also like to see is the club experiment with Noble on the wing or half forward line and either T Brown/Wilson or Ruscoe in that 'Mayne' half back line role in both VFL and AFL.

Kelly in
Sier In

Mayne out
McCrae out

Last edited:
Cox is decent but not good enough, isn’t the future at 30 and is on too much for his output. He’s better served at a club that’s challenging.
Again, using your logic we should no longer select Pendles, Sidey, Howe or Roughead. They won't be part of our next premiership team. Let's select for the future!

With Cox in the side, it would have taken the focus away from Henry, impacting his development. No coincidence that Henry played his best game with Cox out.of.the side.
Nonsense. That's like saying Boltons development is being hampered by the presence of Lynch. They play entirely different roles.

Nonsense. That's like saying Boltons development is being hampered by the presence of Lynch. They play entirely different roles.
Cox is influential and changes the dynamic of the forward line. His presence ruins any chance of organising a functional forward line with actual football players.
We don't have to agree on this point, but I do hoe Cox is desisted by the.end of the year, and believe we are better off just trying to organise a team around actual prospects.

Cox is influential and changes the dynamic of the forward line. His presence ruins any chance of organising a functional forward line with actual football players.
We don't have to agree on this point, but I do hoe Cox is desisted by the.end of the year, and believe we are better off just trying to organise a team around actual prospects.
Like Kelly?

Speaking with someone in the Lions recruitment team prior to the draft, they even believed Stephenson was top 2, potentially Pick 1 but they didn't like the uncertainty of his heart condition.

We were taking him at 4 until LDU slid.

Have I missed something re the calls for Cox to return? The two guys that should be our main forward targets on the weekend combined for 4 goals 4 behinds, 39 possessions and 18 marks. Switch Moore back, play Henry and use JDG forward. There’s no need for a 7ft guy who doesn’t mark the ball and who has done two fifths of * all since being dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, using your logic we should no longer select Pendles, Sidey, Howe or Roughead. They won't be part of our next premiership team. Let's select for the future!
Difference between those guys and Cox is Cox is average those guys are not.

Cox's presence should benefit the other forwards as their opponent isn't as focused on them. That our transition and F50 entries fail to take advantage of that isn't on Cox.

Have I missed something re the calls for Cox to return? The two guys that should be our main forward targets on the weekend combined for 4 goals 4 behinds, 39 possessions and 18 marks. Switch Moore back, play Henry and use JDG forward. There’s no need for a 7ft guy who doesn’t mark the ball and who has done two fifths of fu** all since being dropped.
As much as I hate to give up on De Goey in the midfield and Moore up forward if we want to win games that makes the most sense.

I think if they are line ball talents you got to go needs or u risk the situation we are in and have an imbalanced list.

Stephenson wasn't a clear better talent and from what I understood Naughton was in consideration at our pick.

I always had hesitation that his skinny frame and outsidedness would be an issue if he didn't fall in love with the gym.

In saying that at the time of the draft I didn't like naughtons kicking and wasn't keen on him either but I'm also a pleb and not a paid recruiter watching these kids weekly.

I've been more than happy with his performances at VFL level since he was demoted. Playing more as the 2nd ruck / KPF role than he get to play at senior level.

He was constantly out pointed by smaller opponents up fwd so I dont know how you could be "more then happy" with that area of his game?
He then got involved when moved into ruck which imo is his best position.

Yes,i can see Stephenson starring next week,just to rub salt into the wounds.We really are our own worst enemy,aren't we?Can't really blame anyone for the mess we're in but ourselves.
I think Stephenson will cry with a trickle running down his leg if Maynard lines up on him.

Last edited:
The Kennedy and Broomhead draft we didn't miss on anyone really. Look who went after.. horrible draft. Membry the only player I would take. Maybe Clurey. It was a sh*t draft to have 3 picks inside 20.

The Scharenberg/Freeman draft was the most costly. Thinking we had Bont and Doggies change their pick late and take him at 4.

Players like Salem, Cripps, Merret there.

Stephenson, I don't think he is a bust.
That was a list management fail imo and a coaching failure to not tap into his potential and fix his off field issues.

Just imagining Bont and Cripps in Collingwood colours is incredibly arousing. What might’ve been.

The top 20 from that 2017 draft have been incredibly disappointing. Brayshaw, Cerra and Naughton probably the standouts.

Most of the top 20 in the 2018 draft in contrast practically better than every one of those in 2017.

Rating each top 20 player from both drafts and I’m not sure anyone from 2017 would make the top 10.

He was constantly out pointed by smaller opponents up fwd so I dont know how you could be "more then happy" with that area of his game?
He then got involved when moved into ruck which imo is his best position.

Show me the league player who has never lost a contest to a smaller opponent. Not sure why we should be surprised when it happens to Cox or why the expectations of him should be so skewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back