Autopsy 11 Losses in a row - Booooooo - Rd 7 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

That game was like being on a long car journey with diarrhoea. First half of the journey it's tight, you got a flat but you think you'll make it home on three tyres, then in the third you hit traffic because you tried a shortcut, get another flat, have a prolapse and fill both your pants, and car, with sh*t.

Hoping we find an incerator for the pants, and a great detailer by next week.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Finally an analogy I can relate to. 😂

Hughes should be embarrassed. Goes the bump instead of tackle and injures himself as the ball carrier waltzes off with the ball. Should be ashamed to show his head in public.
The guy would keep playing with a broken shoulder and you take shots at him when he was actually putting his body on the line?

Shepherd didn't waltz anywhere after that hit either.

It would have been nice to have more physically comitted players

Kudos for trying to play on but it was poor in the first place. It was game over from then for mine. We tried to be ‘physical’, they absorbed it, laughed at us then pissed on our corpse.

Kudos for trying to play on but it was poor in the first place. It was game over from then for mine. We tried to be ‘physical’, they absorbed it, laughed at us then pissed on our corpse.

When it was Ethan's turn to throw his body into the game he did, the same cannot be said for many other efforts throughout the game, I do wish he didn't come off the worst out of that hit but I think I'd rather the players were bringing that sort of commitment and energy to the contest over the hands and arms at the ball we got yesterday.

And I appreciate that I'm saying this as someone who would be snapped in half within a minute of an AFLW game let alone against big hard men.

When it was Ethan's turn to throw his body into the game he did, the same cannot be said for many other efforts throughout the game, I do wish he didn't come off the worst out of that hit but I think I'd rather the players were bringing that sort of commitment and energy to the contest over the hands and arms at the ball we got yesterday.

And I appreciate that I'm saying this as someone who would be snapped in half within a minute of an AFLW game let alone against big hard men.

Have to agree, Hughes gives effort, he is the least of our problems.
Why he would be criticized for putting his body on the line is beyond me.

No point ranting and raving, this was quite an easy tip like it always is.

WC’s system is better, their structure is better, personnel is better. It sucks but it’s not going to change just because it’s ‘our time’ or we have ‘momentum’ or something. With both back lines depleted, in a shootout we were never getting close. Our defence is second rate with the guys out that we have. Hopefully at least Hamling will be back soon to help out on the big forwards.

But more importantly we have too many players whose heads are not in the game. We won’t go anywhere with someone like Acres in the team, and Lobb and Logue should not be considered certain starters just for their structure.

I’d say we’re a bit better than what we showed in this game, but not a lot better. We can regroup and challenge Brisbane at home, and probably keep the finals flame alive for most of the year but we’re not a real threat.
I wouldn't necessarily state that their personnel is superior (of course their forwards are though), it's more that their players are more experienced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have to replace Fyfe, Mundy, Walters, Hill, Taberner with at least the same or better talent before they retire. I would argue that we have more young talent to replace most of the above already and will accumulate more before we lose those five - the trick will be hanging onto them so that when they are taking over the same level, generational transition lets say, we have more talent on the list.

So I think we will have a better team, it might not be better enough. We still need a good six to ten very good footballers to add to our list.

Have to agree, Hughes gives effort, he is the least of our problems.
Why he would be criticized for putting his body on the line is beyond me.

Don’t tell me this entire board and most of the football community wouldn’t be pissing themselves laughing if say Darling tried to bump Conca and ended up breaking his own collarbone. Please.

Don’t tell me this entire board and most of the football community wouldn’t be pissing themselves laughing if say Darling tried to bump Conca and ended up breaking his own collarbone. Please.
If the rest of the Eagles team was shirking contests and having no physical presence I expect there would be some respect for the player putting his hand up when it's his turn to go.

West coasts bottom 5 players are better than any of our bottom 10.
We have boys that wouldn't get anywhere near the lists of the better teams.
Depth is the problem and 5 years of rebuilding hasn't got any where near to fixing the problem
Simpson outcoached us yet again. Pure and simple.
WC had guys out there that hadn’t even played a season of AFL.
If you let them play their game, you lose.
They are down hill skiers, we are yet to even climb the mountain.

I don't agree with your criticism of Hughes.
He didn't back down , ran straight at the player with the ball. If a few of the afraid of contact boys put in that sort of effort we wouldn't be in the hole we are now.
Unfortunate he injured his shoulder , s**t happens to the brave.

Unfortunately when the first half turned into a shootout, you just knew they would run over us in the end.

They're just not quite ready to go toe to toe for four quarters with the big boys.

Need to get some defenders back, before the season gets away from us.

Disappointing, sure. But they’ll learn from this. The young guys don’t like to lose. Just need a way to break the psychological hold that WC have on us.

Annoyed at the flogging. Especially as it came in essentially a quarter and a half of footy. I didn’t pick us to win though. How many of you tipped us? I thought we were a sneaky chance so am disappointed with the thrashing but I didn’t tip us.

To those going at Logue... he needs some game time to build. Had very little around him yesterday and the mids were almost playing flag footy. Can I get close enough to tear the Velcro strips off but not engage... McPharlin would have looked bad with the pressure applied up field yesterday.

The questions I have are more around our inability to adjust in game. Why didn’t we put conca in the middle to close down Gaff in the first. He had 20 touches to half time. Or Sheed. Either one. They get going and the rest get going.

Wilson is barely fit enough to play league footy. He needs to be the last piece of a strong unit. If not he looks like a soft front runner. Does some very good things and some terrible things. Lots of the terrible comes when he is knackered.

Positive... brayshaw able to run the game out after an incident that looked terrible on replay. I wouldn’t be completely surprised if on Tuesday we find out he is going to miss a couple of games.

I went back out into the garden end of the third... good decision for general happiness sadly.

Hughes should be embarrassed. Goes the bump instead of tackle and injures himself as the ball carrier waltzes off with the ball. Should be ashamed to show his head in public.
Mate. What are you talking about. Hugh's put his body on the line..the other guy did not even have the ball 😂

I have calmed down a little, now I am more sad than angry.

The worry for me is when our captain says publicly that they are a better side than us. If we are going into a game thinking they are better than us then we have lost before we start.

As for JLo's presser - no mate, that was not disappointing, it was UNACCEPTABLE. Face-palming and looking bewildered in the coaches box worries me. Tell the players publicly that we are not going to accept that crap and that their jobs are on the line. We all know it was disappointing, but disappointment doesn't even come close to describing losing our 11th derby on the trot to a team below us on the ladder and decimated by injury.

The players were very poor yesterday, the selection committee and coaching panel were beyond poor.

Dog of a game, one of the worst.

A game where you see the disconnect of supporters and players, with the disparity of how much it means to either party.

Three examples of this,

- Kelly, the player we offered (potentially) more money to play for us, but didn't want to, was allowed contact free stoppages and collected 42 disposals.
- Gaff, the player who caved in the mouth of a teenager, the prized jewel in our 'rebuild', was allowed to run around unchecked and collect 35 disposals.
- Kennedy, laid a heavy (fair) bump on a completely vulnerable 19 year old playing his sixth AFL game, who was playing through a dislocated shoulder... and then Kennedy just jogged back to position, smiling and joking with his team mates at three quarter time.

I see this as a supporter, having an adult meltdown on the couch that is so stark to my normal behaviour that even my dog notices. Brennan Cox jogs back to position to stand on his man and then I'm reminded that it's just a job for them.

Nothing is lonelier than knowing that, the least they could do is pretend it's not.

You could nail down about 5 moments in the game where we lost it
one of them was a poor handball from Crowden on the outer wing, which led to an Aish fumble which in turn put Conca under pressure to fumble, which he did, next minute WC goal
couple of missed handballs and kicks by Darcy and Chapman come to mind as well (don't get me wrong he was outstanding)
As a wise man once said "Its never as good or never as bad as it seems"
onwards and upwards, bring on the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back