Analysis Clarko in 2019 “We’re a middle of the road team”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any person who thinks a coach who's won 4 premierships, building from the ground up, should not be given the time to go again, should not comment on matters of football at all.

Unless u can raise Alan jeans and put him in, that is...

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Every coach has a used by date regardless of previous success.

Every coach has a used by date regardless of previous success.
Has Clarko shown this has he? Please point it out, and be very specific about it.

Our recruiting manager had because no coach can make a opera with teckno

Longmire still going mate, but he has better recruiting with their academy and everything else they get.

Has Clarko shown this has he? Please point it out, and be very specific about it.

Our recruiting manager had because no coach can make a opera with teckno

Longmire still going mate, but he has better recruiting with their academy and everything else they get.
Sheedy & Matthews were both past it not that long after winning their 4th flags.

Just saying it is not impossible Clarko is too.

Clarko needs to go again but I feels like a wake up call is needed, I don’t see some of the decisions occurring this year if it was his first year...

what we are seeing is the impact of poor strategy now having an impact, the good news is the last two drafts have been excellent, and mark mckenzie and team have done a remarkable job with the picks they have had.

I sometimes think clarko is still wedded to the old strategy but moving on gw makes me think it wasn’t all gravy. Things can turn quickly, but it’s not going to happen if we keep letting the mids get dominated from the ruck.

Bolton is a curse now, bloke has to go. Embrace the rebuild with the coaches to

Lastly clarko built the previous teams on a hard unrelenting edge and now it seems more passive? Angry determined clarko with a lack of patients is who we need

Sheedy & Matthews were both past it not that long after winning their 4th flags.

Just saying it is not impossible Clarko is too.
Agree it's not impossible - but that's not very specific mate.

Lethal had 70+ players to choose from to win his flags at brizzy, plus every concession known to man.

Sheedy wouldn't survive anywhere without cheating - that's why they sent him to GWS

Both poor comparisons to a man who single-handedly lifted us out of our worse mess since 1925 to 1961 without any concessions or help from the afl.

He deserves to try and get it right after making mistakes, he is human after-all. Lets allow him that, as supporters.

Clarko needs to go again but I feels like a wake up call is needed, I don’t see some of the decisions occurring this year if it was his first year...

what we are seeing is the impact of poor strategy now having an impact, the good news is the last two drafts have been excellent, and mark mckenzie and team have done a remarkable job with the picks they have had.

I sometimes think clarko is still wedded to the old strategy but moving on gw makes me think it wasn’t all gravy. Things can turn quickly, but it’s not going to happen if we keep letting the mids get dominated from the ruck.

Bolton is a curse now, bloke has to go. Embrace the rebuild with the coaches to
I guess we'll see

Any person who thinks a coach who's won 4 premierships, building from the ground up, should not be given the time to go again, should not comment on matters of football at all.

Unless u can raise Alan jeans and put him in, that is...

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

6 years is time though ? Clarkson tried a top up strategy that failed miserably, every coach has a used by date at a club. Sheedy got the arse 7 years after 2000 for eg.

As long as Clarko is hungry for the job, then it is his for as long as he wants it. In hindsight, we are about 3 years behind the rebuild we should have started after 2017...

The top up strategy clearly hasn’t worked, I’d be curious to know how those multiple 1st round draft picks/future picks that we traded away for guys like Mitchell, JOM, Wingard are going and who we possibly could have picked up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong only straight setted in 2014.

When you miss finals then straight set then miss again the next year it kind of suggests top 4 wasn’t a true reflection of where you were at.

I guess based on that logic we didn't actually 3peat, given we finished, what - 3rd, 2nd and 4th in the H&A?

Who were the better sides than Hawthorn in 2018?

Was it Melbourne that finished 17th the following year or maybe Sydney that finished 15th. I know it Geelong the team that lost their only final :drunk:

Richmond
West Coast
Collingwood
Melbourne

And coincidentally all of those teams finished higher than Hawthorn come the end of the season.

Top four means absolutely nothing when you straight-set.
I disagree with you here. We performed really well that year. The injuries and straight sets losses showed up our lack of depth, as did the following year where we lost our number one player and absolutely nose-dived.

What's pleasing now is that we seem to have finally ditched the 2017 rebuild-on-the-run model. Clarko came into this year thinking that, although it was a not a flag year, maybe we'd see the 2020 round 1-4, pre-hub Hawks suddenly whir back into gear, and get ready to shoot back up the table. This was evidenced by the persistence with O'Brien in the forward line ahead of Lewis, the Ceglar/McEvoy ruck division, Scrimshaw's omission. I think the Freo loss really clarified where we are at. We are struggling to match it with the mid-table sides when they play well - and we are a long way off the type of footy that Richmond/Port/Brisbane/Melbourne are capable of.

Selection is starting to reflect that, and we'll start to reap some longer term rewards. Short term will require some forbearance, however.

Is what it is mate hey.

I said this in my first few posts and got absolutely shot for it.

My dislike comes from what he told carltank to do to Sicily - that ain't coaching (teaching) - it was total petty crap that can't possibly get respect, let alone teach anything to a playing group.

I said he was an issue a few weeks back and got shot for it as well.

Our midfield is our biggest issue by a long way, and it’s got as much to do with set up and structure as it does personnel.

I disagree with you here. We performed really well that year. The injuries and straight sets losses showed up our lack of depth, as did the following year where we lost our number one player and absolutely nose-dived.

What's pleasing now is that we seem to have finally ditched the 2017 rebuild-on-the-run model. Clarko came into this year thinking that, although it was a not a flag year, maybe we'd see the 2020 round 1-4, pre-hub Hawks suddenly whir back into gear, and get ready to shoot back up the table. This was evidenced by the persistence with O'Brien in the forward line ahead of Lewis, the Ceglar/McEvoy ruck division, Scrimshaw's omission. I think the Freo loss really clarified where we are at. We are struggling to match it with the mid-table sides when they play well - and we are a long way off the type of footy that Richmond/Port/Brisbane/Melbourne are capable of.

Selection is starting to reflect that, and we'll start to reap some longer term rewards. Short term will require some forbearance, however.
We didn't nose dive in 2019 - had some real bad luck early in the season in the crazy game where the umps went crazy and handed the Dogs a game that cost us a spot in the finals. Remember the frees against Sic for no reason and then the one where Worpel was penalised for walking through the centre circle and they had to admit that is not a rule. Also had bad luck with injuries all year, especially Impey.

This year Lewis and Scrimshaw were injured and underdone so missed round 1 and then we rewarded a winning team with no change for round 2.

Look up the word hubris in the dictionary you will find a photo of Clarko. He totally believes everything written about him being a genius and that he could coach any bunch of players to a flag.
His motto has been “lose a soldier, replace him with another soldier”. This is BS.
Lose Gale, get Vickery - Fail
Lose Budddy, give Timmy the 23 - Fail
Lose Hill, get Scully - Fail
Lose Rough, get Patton - Fail
Lose Cyril, get Wingard - Fail
Lose Frawley, get Hartigan -Fail
Get rid of all time greats Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge for a bag of chips and replace them with TOM and JOM in return for our draft future and become a bottom four side four years later - Fail
Recruit players with a history of injury and rehabilitate them because we have the best doctors and it worked once with Burgoyne- Fail

Clarkson is totally unaccountable. He tells the world we’re a young side which is again total B S. Players like Lewis, Moore, Hanrahan, Cousins, Morrison, Worpel, Howe, O’Brien have all been on the list for at least four years. CJ and Kosi have been on the list for three years and the rest of this year’s regulars five plus years. Day is the one exception. These guys may be inexperienced at AFL level but that’s because they’re not good enough to get regular AFL games. Buddy Franklin kicked 100 goals in his fourth season. I know it’s not fair to compare to Buddy but the fact is if they’re good enough, they’ll play, just look at Will Day. These are the sort of players you need to win flags. This whole Box Hill apprenticeship stuff is BS. Michael Tuck and Dipper playing 50 games in the reserves was over 40 years ago, it’s not relevant.
Clarko likes to compare 2021 to 2005 and 2010. More BS. Clarko inherited Hodge, Mitchell, Croad, Brown, Williams, Ladson, Osborne, BAteman, Sewell, Campbell, Dixon and J Smith when he took over the club. He then got a priority pick that got us Buddy. In 2010 the core of the 2008 side was still there including Buddy, Rough, Cyril, Lewis and Birchall. The only truly young players we currently have that would have the ability of those players is Day and maybe CJ.
Hawthorn is not just a middle of the road side, they have become totally irrelevant in the AFL landscape. Terrible performances like Saturday’s are just ignored and accepted and Clarko continues to remain totally unaccountable for the mess he has largely created.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back