Is that the final 8 set?

Swanks McSwankserton

Senior List
May 12, 2020
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond, Collingwood and Geelong used to have some epic fades in the late 90s/early 00s.

Hawks also had that 8-0 start in 2001 before losing to the 0-17 Dockers in Victoria.

North had a 9 and 0 start a couple years ago and scraped into 8th on %, but that is the more unlikely option I think than being a good side.

With the thread I don't know anything about how it's going to turn out, 1 W & some % separates 14th from 5th, a lot of teams could change it all in the next half of the year it feels.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
North had a 9 and 0 start a couple years ago and scraped into 8th on %, but that is the more unlikely option I think than being a good side.

With the thread I don't know anything about how it's going to turn out, 1 W & some % separates 14th from 5th, a lot of teams could change it all in the next half of the year it feels.
2016 was a crazy year, there were 7 top teams miles better than the rest, 10 teams a mile off it, and North who spent half the year as part of the former, and the other half as the latter. No one moved in or out of the 8 after R6, not even for one round. At one point the gap between 8th and 9th was 3 games.

Essendon went from 8-1 to missing altogether in 2012

Swanks McSwankserton

Senior List
May 12, 2020
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
2016 was a crazy year, there were 7 top teams miles better than the rest, 10 teams a mile off it, and North who spent half the year as part of the former, and the other half as the latter. No one moved in or out of the 8 after R6, not even for one round. At one point the gap between 8th and 9th was 3 games.

Essendon went from 8-1 to missing altogether in 2012
What makes it more funny is that the next year would be an unusually even one, Adelaide having the worst w-l record of a minor premier in 20 years iirc, and Brisbane being the best wooden spooner in nearly that long.

It all just reminds me how great a sport footy is. Stuff going on every year.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I looked into the last five years and this is the total of teams that have dropped out of the top 8 after being there after 7 rounds.

2016: nil
2017: 2
2018: 2
2019 4
2020: 1

So therefore an average of just 1.8 so just under 2 teams have dropped out of the top 8 after being there at the end of round 7. This does not mean that it will follow that as we saw in 2019 with 4 teams failing to make the top 8 after being there at the end of round 7.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good stats. Swans probably the best candidate to drop out but they keep piling on the wins. WCE should win enough games at home. I can’t see anyone else capitulating enough from here.

Jamolad

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
We can still make it...

Are you good with maths too?

right.jpg

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks fairly set atm but I tend to think that every year around this time and it never pans out.

GWS probably the only team currently out of the 8 that might force their way in.

Don't concrete Melbourne in just yet.
why because we played our worst game of the year with our big three (Gawn, Oliver & Petracca) not having their usual impact and we still won by 5 goals?

People are reading too much into our win yesterday, you can't win every game convincingly. We have shown so far we can step up to the top teams when needed. We might be a relatively low chance of winning the premiership but to mis the finals when we are 3 games clear and 53% of 9th place and 4 games and 47% ahead of 10th. We won't miss the finals

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
why because we played our worst game of the year with our big three (Gawn, Oliver & Petracca) not having their usual impact and we still won by 5 goals?

People are reading too much into our win yesterday, you can't win every game convincingly. We have shown so far we can step up to the top teams when needed. We might be a relatively low chance of winning the premiership but to mis the finals when we are 3 games clear and 53% of 9th place and 4 games and 47% ahead of 10th. We won't miss the finals

Nothing to do with yesterday, it's just Melbourne is all. Anything is possible.

Nothing personal.

Nothing to do with yesterday, it's just Melbourne is all. Anything is possible.

Nothing personal.
I get why people keep saying that but the old Melbourne teams would have never won 7 in a row like this team has

Unless we get killed by injuries to our top bracket players with this much of a head start there should be no way we miss the finals

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Swans out, the rest stay.

Should be the Saints but they are very untrustworthy and their draw is dire.

Not sure who. We certainly don't appear to have our hand up. GWS the form team of the bottom 10 but they haven't beaten anyone either.

If Carlton beats the Dogs this week, I'll say them.

Last edited:

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Be close. There's a fair bit of meh outside the 8.

Saints could string wins together, as could Giants. Maybe. But the rest will struggle with consistency IMO. Suns will fade, because they do that every year.

And like most years, come finals I reckon 6*,7,8 will just be making up numbers anyway.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Question - how did St Kilda cop 3 of the Top 4 as their double up games? Stiff.

Yeah it's a joke, we copped the toughest fixture when we finished 6th and played finals for the first time in about 10 years while clubs like Richmond, West Coast, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Port and Geelong who have finished higher on the ladder than us in recent years, won premierships and played more finals than us get easier fixtures. It will probably be the difference between us making finals and missing out in what will be a fairly even year.

AdamE89

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
[QUOTE

People are reading too much into our win yesterday, you can't win every game convincingly. We have shown so far we can step up to the top teams when needed. We might be a relatively low chance of winning the premiership but to mis the finals when we are 3 games clear and 53% of 9th place and 4 games and 47% ahead of 10th. We won't miss the finals[/QUOTE]

Just ask the great Sir Alex about grinding out a 1-0 win over the Derby County’s, Bolton etc at old Trafford in the 96th minute in their prime and then smashing the big boys away the next week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back