Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL. He's having a very good season. His averages are as follows:

2018​
2019​
2020​
2021​
Disposals
20.2​
21.3​
14.4​
19.3​
Marks
3.5​
4.4​
3​
2.9​
Hit Outs
39.9​
42.6​
31.4​
41.1​
HO win %
55.5​
53.9​
51.6​
61.1​
HO to advantage
32.1​
28.7​
27.8​
33.7​
Clearances
5.2​
6.1​
3.2​
4​
Tackles
5.2​
4.3​
3.6​
5​
Goals
0.3​
0.3​
0.2​
0.6​
ITC's
2.6​
2.9​
1.9​
3.9​
You can't honestly tell me that if you watch his 2018, 2019 highlights compared to the last 2 years, that he is anywhere near the player he was. He is having a serviceable season but far from the standards he played at previously, that's really my only point

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
They changed the rules a couple of years ago where ruckmen didn't get pinged for holding the ball if they grabbed it out of the ruck, yet we haven't tried to exploit it at all - despite having the ruckman most likely to be able to grab it out of the ruck. That to me sums up our coaching group. Under the current rules, Grundy can grab it out of the ruck have a wingman run into space for the handball and if that isn't on he can hold on to it in the tackle and it's a new ball up.

But it seems we're completely reliant on past data to inform our decisions and I daresay the past data when ruckman had to just get rid of the footy meant that grabbing it out of the ruck and hacking it forward didn't have good outcomes.
Our coaching group are conservative slow reactors. Forget about ever getting ahead of the curve.
In ten years in the job... Has Buckley ever innovated anything in terms of tactics or playing style? ( Positive innovations that is).

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
You can't honestly tell me that if you watch his 2018, 2019 highlights compared to the last 2 years, that he is anywhere near the player he was. He is having a serviceable season but far from the standards he played at previously, that's really my only point

LOL, now you're shifting the goal posts and making it about the 2020-2021. He had a much quieter 2020 but his 2021 has been very good. Happy for you to disagree, but it's what is apparent to the eye and is supported by the stats.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
He is going OK but he is really down on himself out there. Not providing much leadership which is disaspointing. Seems to be very accepting of things not going his or the teams way and he is not on his own. Players seem devoid of confidence and self belief.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's having an ok season if all you look at are stats. Won't be winning another Copeland this year.

Copeland is based on consistency and durability. He's certainly been our most consistent player YTD and he's shown he's durable. Pendles is the only other guy who'd be close at the moment and a few other blokes will need to lift if they're going to challenge him.

I can't question Grundy's effort or workrate, but his impact on games has declined. I think he does some very dumb things for a seasoned player and he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

We must have lot of Dumb Players Then

He is going OK but he is really down on himself out there. Not providing much leadership which is disaspointing. Seems to be very accepting of things not going his or the teams way and he is not on his own. Players seem devoid of confidence and self belief.

Think how Treloar left the paying group bitter

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's having an ok season if all you look at are stats. Won't be winning another Copeland this year.
Particularly when we played Brisbane with no ruckman, GC without their main ruckman, Essendon without their main ruckman, can’t remember who wa sticking for the Blues.

In previous years he would have destroyed these teams around the ground. After all, we are told he is like another midfielder which is why he deserves the big contract.
His disposals have been nowhere near as effective.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL, now you're shifting the goal posts and making it about the 2020-2021. He had a much quieter 2020 but his 2021 has been very good. Happy for you to disagree, but it's what is apparent to the eye and is supported by the stats.
A lot of people play the stats card when trying to justify their point, but other times people believe stats are useless, I'm going with stats are useless on this one because he is just not playing to the standard that he can. Don't forget we are near last in the comp for clearances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
A lot of people play the stats card when trying to justify their point, but other times people believe stats are useless, I'm going with stats are useless on this one because he is just not playing to the standard that he can. Don't forget we are near last in the comp for clearances

I think he is doing some stuff well and other stuff poorly.

Diminished overall impact on the game from his best years and physically not making his presence felt enough most games the last 18months. Very temperate on field now days

Our coaching group are conservative slow reactors. Forget about ever getting ahead of the curve.
In ten years in the job... Has Buckley ever innovated anything in terms of tactics or playing style? ( Positive innovations that is).
In 2018/early2019 the way we triangulated behind the ball and fed it around by hand to get a bloke in the clear was very effective until it got worked out.

It's the pig-headed stubborness where we make a decision and stick with it for months of it not working that does my head in.

I think he is doing some stuff well and other stuff poorly.

Diminished overall impact on the game from his best years and physically not making his presence felt enough most games the last 18months. Very temperate on field now days

I think he's going well this year and has improved his marking, but agree that his competitive hunger seems to have dropped off a bit. I liked that he seems to have been given licence to grab it out of the ruck again - as he did that a few times against the Suns.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
I think he's going well this year and has improved his marking, but agree that his competitive hunger seems to have dropped off a bit. I liked that he seems to have been given licence to grab it out of the ruck again - as he did that a few times against the Suns.
I feel like he and Moore (two of our more sensitive - not in a bad way - souls) have really not done well with how this team has been run this year

I feel like he and Moore (two of our more sensitive - not in a bad way - souls) have really not done well with how this team has been run this year
Not just the sensitive ones. Lasy year Maynard could have been hit by a mack truck and he would have continued to go flat out and check for broken bones only after the ball left his area. This year, he's spent half his time rolling around on the ground writhing in pain.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Not just the sensitive ones. Lasy year Maynard could have been hit by a mack truck and he would have continued to go flat out and check for broken bones only after the ball left his area. This year, he's spent half his time rolling around on the ground writhing in pain.
Very true - seems like barely anyone is having a good time out there

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Stats aren't necessarily the be all end all but they paint a better picture than "it's the vibe" like assessments of his performances. Much of the disquiet about Grundy this year is IMHO tied to his purported salary rather the reality. Expectations have increased with the starting of the new contract. Reality is that we just had him playing at this level very cheaply in 2018 and 2019 rather than any real disparity in his performances.

Apr 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stats aren't necessarily the be all end all but they paint a better picture than "it's the vibe" like assessments of his performances. Much of the disquiet about Grundy this year is IMHO tied to his purported salary rather the reality. Expectations have increased with the starting of the new contract. Reality is that we just had him playing at this level very cheaply in 2018 and 2019 rather than any real disparity in his performances.
Thats a pretty fair assessment i think, he is having a good season, we need him to be having an excellent season with a handful of games were he is the dominant/influential player. He hasn't quite done that thus far.
It's fun to revisit Draft gone by ( when they are favourable that is ) but just for one minute imagine if the Cats drafted Brodie and not Thurlow in 2012...they would have probably won 3 Flags since !!

ant22

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2005
gisborne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
pies
stats are misleading. he is better than 2020 but a fair way off 2018 or 2019.

I honestly believe the big difference is the midfield is letting him down. Time and time again our mids fumble and it is intercepted by the opposition mids. We have a slow ageing midfield that does not hit the ball at pace or handle it cleanly. Look at the weekend. 16 HO's to advantage which is massive but we kept coughing it up. He also lead contested positions, his repeat efforts where excellent and he kicked a goal.

People are judging him because they are p!ssed off that he is on good coin on 7 years. He cops more heat than DeGoey FFS who somehow is on 750k(reported) despite finishing outside the top 10 in the copeland every single year bar 1! And that contract was signed at the end of last year at the same time we moved out 3 senior players due to Cap space. What the hell is going on down their!!

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
Copeland is based on consistency and durability. He's certainly been our most consistent player YTD and he's shown he's durable. Pendles is the only other guy who'd be close at the moment and a few other blokes will need to lift if they're going to challenge him.
Crisp and Pendles would be ahead of him. But you're right.. he's in the running and having a decent season

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
How does that stat reflect more on the ruck work than the coaching or the midfield in general?
Considering the ruckman, positionally, is tasked with giving their midfielders first use - it's a solid reflection on the individual.

Nevertheless, you raise a valid point around structure & coaching - which also have been diabolical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back