Preview Changes Rd 8 vs Port Power

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know Port always get up for Showdowns.

This is what they do... its a successful year to them if they beat the crows and do nothing else...

I dont think the changes are going to matter...

40+ here regardless of who is in

I still don't think Chayce has done enough in the lower level to justify his spot, but if its going to be a drissly/windy miserable game on Saturday night, then why not bring the kid from Tassie in.

Conditions are Tassie perfect!

Oh Jesus won't that be a treat to watch in the wet...and then the remonstrating to the ump and pointing as he continues to umpire the game.

This week Port apparently training at the Adelaide Aquatic Centre in particular the diving pool.

I have some vision of Gray and Motlop training.

tumblr_ml8z19mmCB1s86m4co1_500.gif

Jesus, I've never seen a player get forgiven for their lack of impact like Fog gets forgiven by this board.

I'm not saying Vader is right - those words will never pass my lips - but he's the only person around here saying that Fog needs to take some responsibility for the fact he's maybe played three or four good games in total across AFL and SANFL since he arrived at the club.

It's ridiculous to keep blaming others for the fact that Fog just doesn't get involved.

Hopefully settling him down in a role and working to change his body shape will help him, but he has to own it himself too

Don't forget me along with Vader. Geez I don't talk to ST anymore over FOG. As I said many months ago Fog will fail. My nephew played and trained alongside him in the Crows SANFL side. Fog is arrogant, that is the over-riding factor along with his weight and lack of agility.
Every time he gets a chance in the AFL side he just simply doesn't grasp the opportunity. That is all on Fog no-one else.

You're right.. 10x is an exaggeration. Even so, Himmelberg has consistently outperformed Fogarty at AFL level.

It is abundantly clear that Fogarty has the greater potential, but it remains a frustratingly unfulfilled potential. Himmelberg is far more "blue collar", is less talented, has "concrete hands", and a poor goal kicking technique, which I believe will limit his future at the AFL level. Even so, at this early stage in their career, Himmelberg has the runs on the board compared with Fogarty.

Consider the following stats:

HimmelbergFogarty
Games Played2027
Disposals per game9.628.04
Games < 10 Disposals11 (55%)20 (74%)
Marks per game3.242.89
Goals per game0.951.07
Behinds per game0.760.18
Scoring Shots per game1.711.25
0 Goal games7 (35%)9 (33%)
2+ Goal games6 (30%)7 (26%)
0 Score games1 (5%)6 (22%)
sources:
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/E/Elliott_Himmelberg.html
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Darcy_Fogarty.html
** I have excluded Fogarty's game vs GWS, where he was the non-activated sub.

Himmelberg has more scoring shots, more disposals, more marks, and goes MIA in games less often (games with < 10 disposals). The only area where Fogarty has him covered is in goals scored - due to his elite goal scoring accuracy (which I have never questioned).

Even with his "hands of concrete", he still takes more marks than Fogarty - because he gets to so many more contests. Even with his poor kicking technique, there's still only 0.12 goals per game between them, and Himmelberg hits the scoreboard more often, failing to score only once to date.

Fogarty's problem is that he just doesn't get involved in enough contests. He doesn't get enough of the pill, consistently enough, to have a consistent impact on games in which he's selected. Yes, he has the ability to kick accurately from long ranges and wide angles - and yes, this is an important "point of difference" - but he doesn't do it often enough to justify his selection.

If Fogarty had Himmelberg's work rate, then he would be a gun player. If Himmelberg had Fogarty's right boot, then he would be a gun player. Sadly, what we have in reality, is one unfulfilled potential and one decidedly blue collar forward/ruck.

The problem with Fogarty is that he has no other weapons other than a solid set shot for goal. He lacks so much in nearly every other facet of the game that if he doesn't score 3+ goals then you'd have to consider it an overall detriment to the team.

We all know Port always get up for Showdowns.

This is what they do... its a successful year to them if they beat the crows and do nothing else...

I dont think the changes are going to matter...

40+ here regardless of who is in
Just remember, Port rested Boak last week and risked losing to another potential top 4 team (which they did), just so he would be fit for this weeks game against a bottom 4 team.

That alone should tell you everything you need to know.

Combine it with the guernsey farce and their supporters will carry on like they have won the GF this weekend.

Jesus, I've never seen a player get forgiven for their lack of impact like Fog gets forgiven by this board.

I'm not saying Vader is right - those words will never pass my lips - but he's the only person around here saying that Fog needs to take some responsibility for the fact he's maybe played three or four good games in total across AFL and SANFL since he arrived at the club.

It's ridiculous to keep blaming others for the fact that Fog just doesn't get involved.

Hopefully settling him down in a role and working to change his body shape will help him, but he has to own it himself too
Do you agree he has been mismanaged in the examples given?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

INJURED - CROUCH, TALIA, GOLLANT, HINGE, MILERA

IN LYNCH, MCASEY, SLOANE,O'CONNOR, WORRELL
OUT ROWE, MURPHY, MCADAM BERRY MACPHERSON

SANFL
F ROWE FRAMPTON WRIGHT
HF MURPHY FOGARTY MCADAM
C COOK BOYLE NEWCHURCH
HB JONES BORLASE MACPHERSON
B L MATTHEWS MERRETT LATCHFORD
RUCK
STRACHAN
PEDLAR
BERRY
INTER - DAVIS JACKSON CLARKE COOK MARINI

AFL
F LYNCH HIMMELBERG SCHOENBERG
HF THILTHORPE WALKER MCHENRY
C SHOLL KEAYS SEEDSMAN
HB BROWN MURRAY SMITH
B MCASEY BUTTS DOEDEE
RUCK
O'BRIEN
LAIRD
SLOANE
INTER
O'CONNOR, HATELY MACKAY WORRELL KELLY
Rowe and McAdam definite outs. McPherson's second half started to show some improvement. Murphy (Not a fan) but his efforts and effectiveness were top 6 in the team..I watched the replay. Berry out is a good one. Gonna be a great player, yeah a few mistakes and kick errors but he is the kind of player we DON'T DROP.

Based on his involvements in the game, Rowe actually got most of his disposal outside F50. His issue was not being an effective crumber at the contest anywhere on the ground but especially inside F50
Which is odd as that seemed to be his strength in the first few games. I remember commenting that he always seemed to position himself perfectly to crumb the ball off the marking contest. He seems to be playing up the ground a lot more in the last few weeks, may be to get him more involved? But we are taking him away from where his real strength lies near the goals.

Which is odd as that seemed to be his strength in the first few games. I remember commenting that he always seemed to position himself perfectly to crumb the ball off the marking contest. He seems to be playing up the ground a lot more in the last few weeks, may be to get him more involved? But we are taking him away from where his real strength lies near the goals.
Issue is we've gone back to bombing it in to large groups of players again, after the inevitable spoil it relies on ground ball ability to win after that, which we utterly suck in. That's not going to play to Rowe's strengths at all.

GWS had no issues winning it off the deck, flicking it out to the receiver and then waltzing out and through the corridor while we were all scrambling around out of position.

96% Thursday.
4% accidentally clicked the wrong option.

Thursday night is such a grassroots tradition in football. It‘s an iconic night at grassroots football clubs all over Australia, and that iconic status was extended all the way up to shows like League Teams and then later, The Footy Show (even though it morphed into something much bigger, the whole original premise was centred around Thursday night team announcements).

Just another tradition the AFL is shitting all over.

Thursday night is such a grassroots tradition in football. It‘s an iconic night at grassroots football clubs all over Australia, and that iconic status was extended all the way up to shows like League Teams and then later, The Footy Show (even though it morphed into something much bigger, the whole original premise was centred around Thursday night team announcements).

Just another tradition the AFL is shitting all over.

I miss being disappointed just before I head off to footy training each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back