North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad Scott was a good coach who got North into a Preliminary Final.

And history could say that he didn't leave the club's list in good nick, but I cannot really fault him and North trying to have a red hot crack at a flag with limited resources (compared to other clubs)

Think the one thing that marred his time as North coach was the haphazard way he handled Brent Harvey's 'retirement'

Sacking a club champion and fan favourite in Boomer was something he should have handled better.
Scott had alot of flaws as a coach (lack of tactical nous and mentally fragile) but was probably better than we give him credit for now.

Our drafting was s**t and some of our recruiting was poor (while other recruiting was very good, Waite and Higgins for example,) and that is why the list is in such a state now. Cam Joyce had a few good moments but more than a few bad ones too.

We really suffered with compromised drafts (we didn't make finals and still had first picks in the late teens for example,) and that might actually be an argument in our favour for a PP but if we end up with pick one in the MSD and the two end of year drafts and they piss off the GC end of r1 PP (for everyone) I wouldn't be complaining. We actually started to turn things around over the last two years and there is always a lag.

The Harvey sacking was a shambles. We spent the year cashing in on him, had a great start and then had serious injury worries. And dumped him like a hot potato. You'll see our membership numbers reflect the poor nature of that decision. We went from 40K to 45K members that year and then dropped back down to 40K in response to the sacking. I know people who bought first time memberships because of Boomer and haven't since.

To Harvey's credit he is still with us on game days and works well developing our younger guys.

I think this thread is on its last legs. Better form by North in the past month or so and are a good chance to win the next 2 games. Will prob start favourites next week.

You never had a list capable of genuinely competing for a flag.

However, Scott got the most out of your list, including two PFs, and was subsequently right about a rebuild being required. You replaced him with Rhyce Shaw and that didn't work out.

Scott comes out of it looking more competent and clear-eyed than the other folks making decisions.
That isn't true.

Scott messed alot up. Between the middle of 2015 and the middle of 2016 we won 20 games of 25 or something. In a single season that is a premiership contender at least. But he couldn't make it happen in a single season. 2013 is a great example of Scott as a coach. He didn't have the focus or intensity to coach a GF winning side.

We'd constantly make the same dumb errors and lose composure then big leads as a result. Shaw was a better coach in 2019 with Scott's list and overall strategy. Who knows how different things would have been for him without COVID.

The only thing I'd say in Scott's defense is that in 2018 we played well and could have been building but for Maj jumping off a bridge. Things might have better for Scott in 2019 if that didn't happen.

They'd win plenty of games if they had Tarrant, McDonald and just one more capable mature mid - Dumont, Anderson or Polec. If they had all 3 of those mids they'd actually be back to a pretty decent age/games base and have no excuse for the fade outs.

Not sure they should be playing 3 first year mids at once, I'd probably be alternating Lazzaro and Phillips. Both are probably better off getting time down a level being Victorians who didn't play much last year. Powell is great though.

You know who does need a priority pick? North's VFL side. Obviously they have a lot of AFL injuries but they still have some AFL players at that level and seemingly have no VFL talent apart from Roosy's son.

They'd win plenty of games if they had Tarrant, McDonald and just one more capable mature mid - Dumont, Anderson or Polec. If they had all 3 of those mids they'd actually be back to a pretty decent age/games base and have no excuse for the fade outs.

Not sure they should be playing 3 first year mids at once, I'd probably be alternating Lazzaro and Phillips. Both are probably better off getting time down a level being Victorians who didn't play much last year. Powell is great though.

You know who does need a priority pick? North's VFL side. Obviously they have a lot of AFL injuries but they still have some AFL players at that level and seemingly have no VFL talent apart from Roosy's son.
We play the kids because we have no one else to choose from right now, that's also a problem of our own making to be fair. I'd like us to improve without needing a priority pick.

Unfortunately they're all injured/ill to start the season, but Dumont should be back in the next couple of weeks.

And RE Lazzaro and Phillips, ideally that would be the case, but the cupboard's ******* bare, mate. The injury situation at the club atm is a shambles. I think we had 5 senior-listed players play VFL on the weekend and most of them were 1st year players or rookies or guys that just aren't going to make it.

If you ain’t first you’re last

Time to benefit for being last

As a club that has never had any priority picks we are due

Trouble with that line of thinking is that it will really cripple your club's finances with lower crowds for home games and shunted off Prime Time/FTA games.

Not that I think it should happen, but you could also lose the Good Friday game that North fought and campaigned for since the 80s.

North have not the luxury to play funny buggers and try not go out to win games in order to get a PP.

Unfortunately they're all injured/ill to start the season, but Dumont should be back in the next couple of weeks.

And RE Lazzaro and Phillips, ideally that would be the case, but the cupboard's ******* bare, mate. The injury situation at the club atm is a shambles. I think we had 5 senior-listed players play VFL on the weekend and most of them were 1st year players or rookies or guys that just aren't going to make it.
7.5 by my count. Dumont only played a half. Garner, Scott, Tyson, W. Walker, P. Walker, Xerri, Ford.

Bailey Scott's the obvious candidate, looks like he got dropped after 1 shocker but otherwise is more on the ok side of terrible and should have a tank by now. Assuming you've kind of seen enough already of Menadue and Tyson.

Certainly there will be better options coming back soon hopefully. Just a couple more fit mids to stay in the game makes a big difference.

Also if Ziebell could not attempt to murder Bonar in future weeks I reckon that might help too. Spoiled him and gave him the mother of all corkies!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That isn't true.

Scott messed alot up. Between the middle of 2015 and the middle of 2016 we won 20 games of 25 or something. In a single season that is a premiership contender at least. But he couldn't make it happen in a single season. 2013 is a great example of Scott as a coach. He didn't have the focus or intensity to coach a GF winning side.

We'd constantly make the same dumb errors and lose composure then big leads as a result. Shaw was a better coach in 2019 with Scott's list and overall strategy. Who knows how different things would have been for him without COVID.

The only thing I'd say in Scott's defense is that in 2018 we played well and could have been building but for Maj jumping off a bridge. Things might have better for Scott in 2019 if that didn't happen.

The lack of top 4 finishes is quite damning. If people want to argue he got the best from our list, then there's a caveat that he didn't consistently get it. We consistently dropped games we shouldn't including ones in which we had big leads. Player/team mentality was all over the joint throughout his tenure.

Trouble with that line of thinking is that it will really cripple your club's finances with lower crowds for home games and shunted off Prime Time/FTA games.

Not that I think it should happen, but you could also lose the Good Friday game that North fought and campaigned for since the 80s.

North have not the luxury to play funny buggers and try not go out to win games in order to get a PP.

Pray tell, why don't we have that luxury?

Are we spiraling into debt are we?

Carlton are far more skint than North.

Pray tell, why don't we have that luxury?

Are we spiraling into debt are we?

Carlton are far more skint than North.

It's a treacle on effect.

Do you think it's healthy for the club's finances that many of your games are not shown on FTA but shunted off to Fox Footy/Kayo ?

Not to mention trying to grow your membership base etc ?

It's a treacle on effect.

Do you think it's healthy for the club's finances that many of your games are not shown on FTA but shunted off to Fox Footy/Kayo ?

Not to mention trying to grow your membership base etc ?

You realise that the AFL distributes more to clubs that are less on FTA to compensate them for the AFL's ability of maximising their broadcasting revenue?

You clearly have absolutely no idea how it works.

How can North not afford to wait around for a PP?

We've posted profits for the majority of the last decade.

Do you understand the basic fundamentals of profit and loss?

7.5 by my count. Dumont only played a half. Garner, Scott, Tyson, W. Walker, P. Walker, Xerri, Ford.

Bailey Scott's the obvious candidate, looks like he got dropped after 1 shocker but otherwise is more on the ok side of terrible and should have a tank by now. Assuming you've kind of seen enough already of Menadue and Tyson.

Certainly there will be better options coming back soon hopefully. Just a couple more fit mids to stay in the game makes a big difference.

Also if Ziebell could not attempt to murder Bonar in future weeks I reckon that might help too. Spoiled him and gave him the mother of all corkies!
Scott's last senior game was bad, but his season as a whole has been underwhelming IMO. Some of his raw numbers aren't bad at all but his cleanliness with the ball has dropped significantly, and if you're predominantly an outside player that doesn't get a large deal of it anyway then that's a really big issue.

We're gagging for Dumont to come back in quite frankly. While he's not elitely skilled or anything he's very good at playing a team role with his two way gut running. Started as an inside mid and can now also play as a (mostly) defensive winger and on either flank. That run, mature body, and consistent effort would help immensely with curbing our fadeouts, and the versatility means we can plonk him where we need him.

And yeah Ziebell... He's been been getting involved with more aerial contests lately which is great but boy does he need to pick and choose a little better. Also spoiled McKay(I think it was him) earlier than the Bonar corky and it cost us a goal then.

Was he wrong?

And you played finals four times in a five-year period, including two consecutive PFs.

How long do you reckon it'll be before you do that again?

He got the most out of the list and then told you a rebuild would be required. And he was right.

Which part of that is inaccurate?

We didn’t want him to do it - why is that so difficult for a smart person like you to understand.

We hated him. He was a w***er, just like his brother.

We actually needed to rebuild in 2013, not when ***** went to the board - therein lies the rub.

North played finals more recently than us (2016) and finished above us in 2 out of the 4 years since then. Why should they be given a leg up over clubs who've been down and out longer?

No hand outs please, want to do this on the back off good trading and drafting with no assistances from the AFL.

I hope we get given a bit of love with a juicy free agency compensation pick rather than straight up charity, I mean everyone gets gifts a long the way but I prefer to hold on to the moral high ground where possible.
I’m torn between moral high ground and juicy priority pick

But I mean when the hawks got one which led to premierships I doubt the morals sour that at all for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back