Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 8 vs. North Melbourne, MRVL Sat 08/05 @ 4:35 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Show me the league player who has never lost a contest to a smaller opponent. Not sure why we should be surprised when it happens to Cox or why the expectations of him should be so skewed.

Because it happens far too regularly for a big guy playing kpp when fwd. Total non competes often.

Its only because since cloke left we have had a s**t sandwich for kpp up fwd that these excuses are even being presented.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
As much as I hate to give up on De Goey in the midfield and Moore up forward if we want to win games that makes the most sense.

Go hell for leather with the tinkering any other week, but no mucking around this week! Win and we effectively can’t finish bottom (we would basically be 3 games ahead of North) lose and it’s game on.

All i want to see is Effort, when the Suns were moving the ball across the backline and you see Degoey and WHE jogging to cover it is so disheartening. I don't want the young guys coming and and seeing this and think this is the standard. McCreery plays his hear out everywhere he chases and chases.

OUT: Degoey, WHE, Keane.
IN : Henry, Rantall, Lynch.

Move Moore back play Lynch for a Month. Leave Cameron forward and Greenwood SUB.

Make statement from now on you will be picked on effort!! I can handle losing due to our current situation but if they effort isn't there you don't deserve to play.

To think we moved Treloar on so we could sign Degoey :thumbsdown:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because it happens far too regularly for a big guy playing kpp when fwd. Total non competes often.

Its only because since cloke left we have had a sh*t sandwich for kpp up fwd that these excuses are even being presented.

Most of that is about footy smarts learnt playing juniors. He is unlikely to ever have that innate ability to outbody someone so I'm unsure why people overly fixate on it rather than look at the positives he brings to the team. Anyway, this has been done to death and people aren't likely to change their views so I'll leave it there.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cox's presence = negative forward pressure.

We have very poor F50 pressure with or without Cox. Elliott, McCreery and Cal Brown the only players consistently applying it. But I like that you think it's his fault.

Last edited:

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Show me the league player who has never lost a contest to a smaller opponent. Not sure why we should be surprised when it happens to Cox or why the expectations of him should be so skewed.
Happens too often. It just goes to show how dire our list is when we have to consider playing Cox as a key forward.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Happens too often. It just goes to show how dire our list is when we have to consider playing Cox as a key forward.

Yet he's also been our best contested mark across the 2018-2020 seasons. Even this year he was averaging 1.5 a game. We have players like Howe & Langdon doing the same down the other end of the ground to opposition KPF's and they're champions, opposition do it to Cox and it's all on Cox.

I'll leave it there.

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yet he's also been our best contested mark across the 2018-2020 seasons. Even this year he was averaging 1.5 a game. We have players like Howe & Langdon doing the same down the other end of the ground to opposition KPF's and they're champions, opposition do it to Cox and it's all on Cox.

I'll leave it there.
But that doesn’t say a lot. You need to know how many contests he was involved in to average 1.5 a game. In any case he is ranked 42 in the league with a 1.5 avg which is below Keane who is at 2 a game.

That’s very ordinary for a player who has no other tricks. As the tallest player in the league standing at least 10cm above any of his opponents, he should be doing better than that.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even with all the doom and gloom that comes with losing and Buck's irresolute behavior, CFC have posted some wins:

- Daicos' midfield work has been refreshing and something to build on going forward.
- McCreery too, has been very good, wouldn't mind seeing him in the odd centre bounce.
- Murphy's courage and form shows that there are options out there even though Bucks doesn't seem to think so. Needs to clean up his kicking which will come with games.
- Also, Cameron has been solid, let himself down with his goal kicking on the week end, 2 goals against his name with the 15 possessions is a solid game, worthy of more opportunity.

Quaynors' form has been A grade, his foot skills have let him down, especially forwarded fifty entres, he's better than that.

This is not a reset, it's a full on rebuild...Therefore, I'm an advocate for change, I think CFC should stick with Darcy forward for the rest of the season, the horse has bolted and they need to develop an new backline and midfield based on youth. Daicos, Quaynor, Sier, Rantell, Bianco, Brown boys, Murphy, Kelly, Wilson, Ruscoe and Keane should be the building blocks of the rebuild going forward for the rest of the year.

What I would also like to see the club experiment with, Noble on the wing or half forward line and either T Brown/Wilson or Ruscoe in that 'Mayne' half back line role in both VFL and AFL.

Kelly in
Sier In

Mayne out
McCrae out

kelly was shocking in the vfl and Keane was quite good at afl level, they’ll keep the same structure with Keane Roughead and Moore the swingman

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
kelly was shocking in the vfl and Keane was quite good at afl level, they’ll keep the same structure with Keane Roughead and Moore the swingman

Clearly no one suggesting Kelly returns watched the VFL, but I’m definitely not as upbeat on Keane. He had another bad one on Saturday and whilst I’m a fan of persisting if the club dropped him I’d say it was fair enough.

vinnievavoom

Senior List
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
We have very poor F50 pressure with or without Cox. McCreery and Cal Brown the only 2 players consistently applying it. But I like that you think it's his fault.
I think we are poles apart of the Cox issue. It is a polarising subject and happy to agree to disagree at this time.... until I am proven right.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the Cox experiment is over and that he will be moved on at the end of the year. Its been a wild ride but, he isn't going to be part of our next flag side.
I agree, I think his cards are marked. I don't think he was playing that badly when he got dropped, Cameron has clearly outperformed him since though.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
But that doesn’t say a lot. You need to know how many contests he was involved in to average 1.5 a game. In any case he is ranked 42 in the league with a 1.5 avg which is below Keane who is at 2 a game.

That’s very ordinary for a player who has no other tricks.
As the tallest player in the league standing at least 10cm above any of his opponents, he should be doing better than that.

Yep, this year is the 1st since 2017 he's been <2 contested marks a game. He was also averaging 2 goals a game before the game against GWS. That'd have him in the top 25-30 forwards in the league. Even with the absence of scoreboard impact in that GWS game and dropping down to 1.5, he still has only Checkers and Elliott ahead of him at Collingwood.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Kelly back to the forward line?. We are certainly on our way to destroying this guys career. He was a defender as a junior, we have been playing him as a defender in the VFL, let him settle as a CHB whether that is at VFL or AFL level, instead of chopping and changing his position week to week. If we want another presence up forward, and keep Moore in defence, move Roughead forward. He has played as a ruck/ forward for the Doggies, l'm sure he can play a role for us. So lets keep developing Kelly as a CHB.....
Unless he has another growth spurt he is another undersized key position player at our club.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
3 changes for me
In: R.McInnes, B.Sier, O.Henry
Out: J.De Goey (Omitted), C.Brown (Omitted), F.Macrae (Rested)

B. N.Murphy/J.Roughead/B.Maynard
HB. I.Quaynor/M.Keane/J.Crisp
R. B.Grundy/S.Pendlebury/J.Daicos
C. W.Hoskin-Elliott/B.Sier/C.Mayne
HF. B.Mihocek/D.Moore/S.Sidebottom
F. J.Thomas/D.Cameron/B.McCreery
int. J.Noble/C.Poulter/R.McInnes/O.Henry

I've been very vocal about my criticism of De Goey. He needs to be dropped under the instruction that he needs to start putting more effort in. His whole barometer to being selected will be pressure. Plus some VFL time could help his confidence, even if it is only a week. Callum Brown who I have been a big defender of I think could use some time in the VFL. While I thought he was solid last week, he would be dropped to the VFL either to be trialled as a defender, or again in his midfield/forward role but is told he has to try and take risks. I would be fine letting him make mistakes, just about confidence with Callum I think. Macrae looked really tired at the end of last week and this block of games should've really helped him. He can go back to the VFL and work on his craft.

I want Sidebottom to spend the whole game as a forward. I believe we need to try others through the guts now. Josh Thomas will also spend less time as a mid and more time as a pressure forward. Him and McCreery will try act as locks which is what they pretty much do anyway.I want to keep Darcy as a forward as I believe that is where he will benefit our team the most. We only conceded 77 points on the weekend so it isn't like our defence is desperately missing him anyway. Plus we are playing North and they don't have a serious Key Forward so I would rather try and get Mark Keane some confidence. I also wouldn't mind seeing Grundy rest forward playing 70% as a ruck, 20% as a forward and 10% on the bench. Reef McInnes and Sier can hopefully be the grunt through the guts to aid Pendles and Daicos skills. Make sure they are played in the guts and not elsewhere. Hoskin, Poulter and Mayne will be on the wings all game. Not much to comment with on the defensive front.

As for the VFL, Here are my comments on what AFL listed players should be told to work on
- W.Kelly (get him to build some confidence in his true position)
- C.Brown (Trial him in defence and tell him to take the game on)
- T.Ruscoe (also give him a stint in defence)
- I.Chugg (not much to comment on, by all reports, he has been solid)
- A.TOhill (I haven't seen a game but apparently he hasbeen playing well as a defender)
- J.Madgen (Just has to keep pushing himself. Lead by example for younger blokes)
- M.Lynch (will keep doing his thing)
- L.Greenwood (lead by example through the guts with the younger blokes)
- J.De Goey (Keep him in the guts/forward 50/50 split and make pressure and running his top priorities)
- F.Macrae (spends some time also through the guts)
- J.Rantall (more time through the middle)
- L.McMahon (Similar to Chugg)
- M.Cox (Similar to Madgen. Lead by example for younger blokes)
- T.Wilson (I saw he had a 30 disposal game last week. Is he a winger or defender?.Don't know heaps about him)
- J.Ginnivan (can't say I've heard a word on him. Seen on the team sheet he is being listed as a half forward at times)

Last edited:

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
*Warning - Don't read this if you're easily offended*

The one thing I want to see this week is someone lining up Stephenson.

If reports are true, he was forced out of the club for two reasons, 1. His Salary & 2. His general attitude to football and life.

We have been piss weak pretty much ever since the Brisbane game and there is a perfect opportunity for someone (*Noble*) to make amends for prior actions.

I just want to see SOMETHING, show that they actually care about one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back