Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
Please, tell me all about the Showdown games between the Power and Crows pre-1997.

Brace yourself

Screenshot_20210502_214053_org.wikipedia.jpg

Also:
Apologies to Eddie for trademarked black and white text

DrPowellPepper

All Australian
Jul 9, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Spurs
I think Port should be able to wear the jumper on certain occasions through the year. Do they still do the heritage round? Interesting the AFL backing in the pies over this issue when they essentially let the pies walk all over them with the design of their clash jumper which is a whole seperate issue ( it’s the same thing!!!)

Attachments

• E7614999-BAD7-4DAE-940F-D85F1B7B81ED.jpeg
    E7614999-BAD7-4DAE-940F-D85F1B7B81ED.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 29

ploppy

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The AFL will bring back a optional heritage round for the same round as the port showdown. All clubs can wear their heritage jumper if they want. Port will just choose their prison bars as their heritage jumper every year. No one can complain then.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
The AFL admitted a new South Australian team into the AFL in 1990, not an existing SANFL club. The Crows aren't Norwood.

So you didn't read a single word. Reading not your thing?

The competition with teams with similar names is nothing more than a hacked together pseudo amateur league. If that's the best you can do, then the AFL is absolutely 100% correct in ensuring their teams have unique identities.

The similar names is beside the point (which - in my post I also clarified that nobody at port wants to change the nickname to the magpies, yet another example of your pigheadedness), I was showing an example of a league currently run by the AFL.

but if 2-bit bush leagues don't count, and if reading isn't your thing - here's a video in which, I dunno, San Antonio plays itself!?

BustedWing

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you didn't read a single word. Reading not your thing?

The similar names is beside the point (which - in my post I also clarified that nobody at port wants to change the nickname to the magpies, yet another example of your pigheadedness), I was showing an example of a league currently run by the AFL.

but if 2-bit bush leagues don't count, and if reading isn't your thing - here's a video in which, I dunno, San Antonio plays itself!?

Why are you throwing away 100+ years of “magpie” tradition?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Why are you throwing away 100+ years of “magpie” tradition?

Why do you ignore refutations of the points you're trying to make and ask new and increasingly more pointless questions?

What makes the AFL market different so that Collingwood are affected in a way that sports teams all over the world haven't been by another team wearing the same colours?

BustedWing

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why do you ignore refutations of the points you're trying to make and ask new and increasingly more pointless questions?

What makes the AFL market different so that Collingwood are affected in a way that sports teams all over the world haven't been by another team wearing the same colours?

Just because you don’t like the answers, doesn’t mean they’re wrong, sunshine.

You ask why it’s a big deal, you get told why.
You ask why it’s different elsehwere, you get told why.
You whine about how it’s unfair, you get told that it’s what you agreed to in the beginning.
You ask for leniency, you get shown how you can’t be trusted with leniency.
You ignore all of the above, and say you’re in the right, yet there is no way PA will go to court on this, because they know they’ll lose.

I mean....what else is left for you, other than to sook, so sook you do.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't understand the argument of the showdown being a "heritage" game. The Adelaide Football Club has no heritage with the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club. They are not a SANFL club, nor Norwood. The crows only have a history with the Port Power, a club with Teal in its colours. Port wanting to wear the Pylons Guernsey (why is their president calling it the prison bars?) in showdowns is attempting to steal the limelight and big note themselves. There's no heritage about it.

Port attempting to steal the heritage of a completely seperate entity (the Port Magpies Football Club) over the past 10 years has been a disgrace.
They joined the league as the Port Power. The Port Magpies continued in the SANFL and the power elected to leave all that behind to join the league. All this rewriting of history is being done to steal history for profit and to create this "us against the world" mentality and "woe is us" to financially benefit.

Collingwood and the AFL (who have funded their existence) have been quite generous in the past giving in to Ports demands when they didn't have to.
If anything the pies should sue the Power for not sticking to their 2007 agreement and financially benefitting from the sale of the Guernsey.

ploppy

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Maybe bring back the heritage round and let them wear it once a year (as long as it's not versus Collingwood).

Makes no sense to demand or expect to be able to wear it against the Crows twice a year.
i think port would be happy with that. Gives us a chance to wear it once a year its not going to hurt anyone. If other clubs dont want to be part of heritage round they dont have to do it.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
i think port would be happy with that. Gives us a chance to wear it once a year its not going to hurt anyone. If other clubs dont want to be part of heritage round they dont have to do it.

I don't even know why the heritage round was scrapped? I didn't mind the old school jerseys once a year.

But I guess that then goes into the blurred / questionable decisions of the initial contract negotiations. Obviously Port felt it was a good enough compromise to wear it once a year in the heritage round, but Eddie then perhaps pulled his strings and got the heritage round dropped behind the scenes to kill that.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Just because you don’t like the answers, doesn’t mean they’re wrong, sunshine.

You ask why it’s a big deal, you get told why.
You ask why it’s different elsehwere, you get told why.

You haven't even attempted to construct an argument as to why bigger leagues like the NBA, NFL, NHL and EPL ,and smaller leagues like the A-League aren't affected by two sides wearing the same colours, but Collingwood will be affected by it.

You've talked about different markets requiring different things but you are dodging hard to avoid saying why the AFL is a different market for sports branding.

The Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club. A seperate entity.
View attachment 1117836

1. For them to 'leave it behind' as you put it, they would have to have been connected at some point, yes?
2. Diane's letter is reiterating the conditions put on the club by the SANFL and has been debunked many times as being factually incorrect.
3. Did you read the small text at the bottom of the letterhead?

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
1. For them to 'leave it behind' as you put it, they would have to have been connected at some point, yes?
2. Diane's letter is reiterating the conditions put on the club by the SANFL and has been debunked many times as being factually incorrect.
3. Did you read the small text at the bottom of the letterhead?
1. Port elected to leave it behind. Under conditions of contract you can't just change your mind.
2. "Put on the club". That's rewriting history. Port elected to join the AFL under conditions of contract. Not everything is woe is us, you weren't put into any position.
They didn't have to.
3. Seems like a confused letter I agree. Port don't even know what history they want to go by this week to the next.

You had players like Roger James and Josh Francou as well as your only premiership coach being against wearing it - they saw Port Power as a different club to Port Magpies. How do you reckon they feel about it all?

Back