Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
"Black, clearly dazed, staggers back a couple of steps before dropping to his knees. He was cleared of concussion and managed to play out the game,"

Played out the game? What? The way it's reported suggests he will miss 4-6 weeks as in the Gaff incident.
He's just stupid for doing it. Lucky Black was only "dazed".
Two weeks max, perhaps 1!

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
"Black, clearly dazed, staggers back a couple of steps before dropping to his knees. He was cleared of concussion and managed to play out the game,"

Played out the game? What? The way it's reported suggests he will miss 4-6 weeks as in the Gaff incident.
So the end result is - Black plays out the game and Paddy is Isaaced with a broken hand.
Ffs this has to stop.

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney

I do the same thing when my missus belts me. Overplay the impact, struggle a bit and dropping to the knees also helps.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Given a second earlier he swiped the opponent's hands away in an almost identical motion, there's a chance this was a similar thing that caught him on the jaw instead of the chest.

Reserving judgement til we see/hear some other evidence. If it's a punch, then probably career over. If it's an open handed swipe then dumb but not a massive deal.

Doesn't look great though.

Come on, Unca, he’s punched him clear in the jaw.

Jmac copped one from a Cat. Played the game out as did campaigner Black. Dislocated finger is unusual from a closed fist. (sadly I have long ago experience in copping facial injury).

I think folk need to take a big breath.

Paddy is not a grub. Never been reported as far as I know.

My only worry is he will now retaliate, which may have happened in this case

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

No concussion is a very good sign for McCartin. Between that and the dislocated finger it suggests no closed fist.

Still really, really dumb.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I said it the other thread. The league has allowed the body & arm punches for way to long. So players get used to hitting each other’s body & arms and occasionally it goes all wrong. Imo he’ll get 4 weeks and imo that’s about right. Until the league starts seriously punishing these body and arm punches these types of incidents will continue to happen.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
So he wobbled him with a open hand?
Potentially. You'd be surprised what can wobble you if it's unexpected and or gets you in the sweet spot. A heavy slap can knock you out. Like it was mentioned above, he heavily swatted the blokes arm away in his first action, the second one was Identical. I see it nothing more than an accidental high contact.

This aint no BBH hanging offence! Can i suggest people calm the farm.

I watched Paddy play in previous games and I swear he mostly had a smile on the dial. Just a fella enjoying getting a kick.

Off spud camera I reckon he has copped one from Black and has retaliated because he is understandably nervous about copping shyte.

Understandable - yep.. Forgivable - yep .. Give hime a penalty and Black as well.

Must say I am devastated about how so many people here have sunk the boots in.

Whats the difference? still the same swinging closed fist to a players head.
Screenshot_20210503-154541~3.png

So you can distinctly see a closed fist here?
Give me a break, the footage is so grainy you can't even distinctly see what players are involved.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
MRO guidelines (for AFL), but reasonable to assume would also apply to ressies;
(a) Intentional, high impact, high contact 3 weeks
(b) Intentional , medium impact, high contact 2 weeks

Intentional definition; For example, a strike will be regarded as Intentional where a Player delivers
a blow to an opponent with the intention of striking him

In the case of any intentional strike, strong consideration will be given
to the distance the incident occurs from the ball and the expectation of
contact of the Victim Player.

My guess is he'll be charged with (a).

Source;

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Looks like a clumsy, aggressive swipe as opposed to trying to knock the bloke out. Regardless of the suspension length, this probably makes it unlikely he lands on a list anywhere.

Makes me sad more than anything. Being a parent to a boy with type 1 I empathise with his struggles and really looked forward to him being a positive role model wherever he landed.

He still is all things considered but my young fella has only just got into the footy this year so being able to point to a guy on TV and saying "he's got diabetes too!" would be just incredible.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Looks like a clumsy, aggressive swipe as opposed to trying to knock the bloke out. Regardless of the suspension length, this probably makes it unlikely he lands on a list anywhere.

imo if his form warrants it he’ll get picked up. It’s not like it’s Talia scoring some gear in an alleyway.

He had a moment of madness all players make mistakes and they have to cop the consequences. Unfortunately they will see it high impact to the head. No if s or buts and will get 4 to 5 weeks.

Again I suggest this is an unrealistic post from an uninvited stirrer. Knock the post and the alt on the noggin please Mods.

Back